IP Address change - Discussion

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
smithi

Re: IP Address change - Discussion

Post by smithi » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:31 pm

Hi,

last night I sent the following to businesssupport@exetel.com.au but have had no response so far, and time is growing short for an orderly transition without having to stay up till the wee hours on Thursday morning, which I'm hoping to avoid. IP addresses are obscured here:

=======
Subject: Routing for 58.96.xx.yy/29 via new IP address

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009, Exetel Notification wrote:

> This is a courtesy email to let you know that between at 1am and 2am
> on 3 September 2009, your IP address will change to a new number.
>
> Your current IP address is: 220.233.yyy.zzz
>
> Your new IP address will be: 115.70.aaa.bbb

[..]

> b. You have a block of IP addresses allocated to you by Exetel. In
> which case please email businesssupport@exetel.com.au with the
> details of your routed address block and we will ensure routing
> continuity when the changeover happens.

58.96.xx.yy/29 is routed via my current IP address.

I intend to make the change through Member's Facilities at a convenient
time before 3 September, but need to know whether the change in routing
for 58.96.xx.yy/29 will be implemented as soon as I have done so?

If that's automatic, fine .. otherwise I will need to synchronise the
changeover with you since DNS, mail and web for 6 domains depends on it.

cheers, Ian

PS I see that you have already duplicated reverse DNS for 115.70.aaa.bbb
to my connection hostname, thankyou.
=======

Hope someone can help ease the disruption this will cause if not synchronised, including loss of my ability to send and receive email.

cheers, Ian

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:51 pm

I have asked the business support manager to respond to you directly.

smithi

Post by smithi » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:14 pm

NetworkAdmin wrote:I have asked the business support manager to respond to you directly.
Thankyou. Looking forward to getting this done and out of the way tomorrow afternoon.

cheers, Ian

abdul

Post by abdul » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:35 am

Ian,

All emails to businesssupport@exetel.com.au are responded to within 20min during business hours. If you haven't received a response to your email, can you please provide me the support reference number? As an alternative you can forward your email to ahad@exetel.com.au and jingt@exetel.com.au for an immediate action.

smithi

Post by smithi » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:55 pm

abdul wrote:Ian,

All emails to businesssupport@exetel.com.au are responded
to within 20min during business hours. If you haven't received a
response to your email, can you please provide me the support reference
number? As an alternative you can forward your email to
ahad@exetel.com.au and jingt@exetel.com.au for an immediate action.
Abdul, thanks for your reply,

As I had no response yesterday or so far today, there's no support reference number.

I have just forwarded my original email as requested.

Ian

TerryD

Post by TerryD » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:02 pm

I have enjoyed download speeds of approx. 4500 BPS for the last 18 mths or so then for about the last week the speed has dropped to between 300 and 1200 BPS. Is it possible that my new IP address will take me back to 4500 BPS?

smithi

Post by smithi » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:08 pm

All emails to businesssupport@exetel.com.au are responded to within 20min during business hours. If you haven't received a response to your email, can you please provide me the support reference number? As an alternative you can forward your email to ahad@exetel.com.au and jingt@exetel.com.au for an immediate action.
Hi Abdul,

it is now over three hours since I replied to this, and forwarded my original email to businesssupport to you at the addresses supplied. I've still had no response at all.

Is there anything else I should do toward getting some response? I've already had to cancel one engagement this afternoon, and now it's looking like I will have to cancel another tonight and stay home to deal with this between 1 and 2am tomorrow morning, and I still don't know whether or not the 6 domains on my /29 block will have routing active after the changeover, and so whether DNS, web and email for those domains will be affected?

At this late stage I would prefer to have the IP address change postponed to a time when I can deal with the repercussions during business hours, as my original mail proposed.

Please help,

Ian

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:21 pm

TerryD wrote:I have enjoyed download speeds of approx. 4500 BPS for the last 18 mths or so then for about the last week the speed has dropped to between 300 and 1200 BPS. Is it possible that my new IP address will take me back to 4500 BPS?
No, because your problem is caused by something else. I would check if you computer had a virus, or if there is some other problem with your modem/computer/local wiring before logging a fault.

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:42 pm

smithi wrote:

Hi Abdul,

it is now over three hours since I replied to this, and forwarded my original email to businesssupport to you at the addresses supplied. I've still had no response at all.

Is there anything else I should do toward getting some response? I've already had to cancel one engagement this afternoon, and now it's looking like I will have to cancel another tonight and stay home to deal with this between 1 and 2am tomorrow morning, and I still don't know whether or not the 6 domains on my /29 block will have routing active after the changeover, and so whether DNS, web and email for those domains will be affected?

At this late stage I would prefer to have the IP address change postponed to a time when I can deal with the repercussions during business hours, as my original mail proposed.

Please help,

Ian
It is 7:25pm and the only email from you to businesssupport was received 59 minutes ago. The point to note here is that it is bad practice to use a residential grade service for any sort of business requirement where continuity of access is important.

In any event, since it is important to you, you could have just called the business support number, listed on the Exetel web site, during business hours - if you thought your emails were not being received.

If you pm me with your ADSL line number, current and new IP address within the next 30 minutes, I will be able to make the routing change for you now, manually. If you miss that window, then call the office at 8:30am, and ask to speak to Ahad or William, and they will be able to make the change for you then.

smithi

Post by smithi » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:22 pm

Ok, PM sent ..

and I've just received email from businesssupport@ saying a route to my /29 had been added in preparation for the IP address change, and that I should be able to effect the change at anytime, all I needed to know .. so I'm going to do that now. Hopefully, back soon!

cheers, Ian

terryc

Post by terryc » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:57 am

Is it just a quirk of my modem-router, or did some IP not get changed?

ymo

Post by ymo » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:16 am

terryc wrote:Is it just a quirk of my modem-router, or did some IP not get changed?
You are not alone.
I have been using the net this morning for ~1 hour and just started reading the forum messages. Seeing this message reminded me to login to my modem/router to check if the IP change had happened - to my surprise I still have my old IP listed in the status page of the Linksys AM300. I guess I could try clicking the disconnect button and see if I get my new IP address when I reconnect...

maestro

Post by maestro » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:44 am

ymo wrote:
terryc wrote:Is it just a quirk of my modem-router, or did some IP not get changed?
You are not alone.
I have been using the net this morning for ~1 hour and just started reading the forum messages. Seeing this message reminded me to login to my modem/router to check if the IP change had happened - to my surprise I still have my old IP listed in the status page of the Linksys AM300. I guess I could try clicking the disconnect button and see if I get my new IP address when I reconnect...
Mine also has not changed. I have changed my domain settings back to my old IP address for the DNS server so that things keep working. I previously specifically asked if the modem needed to be rebooted and was told no the change should be seamless, so I will not be rebooting it.

I guess the change was aborted for some reason and am expecting Exetel to let us know (with a little bit of notice) when they expect to try again so that I can re-make the changes to the DNS.

I hope this won't happen too many times as it is quite a pain

maestro

Post by maestro » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:47 am

Hmmm, I just tried to go to the "View/Change IP" page in "Exetel's Member Facilities" and it says "Your Account status is inactive. You cannot change modem ip address details."

I don't know why my account would be inactive... It says my payment status is OK.

HenryLee

Post by HenryLee » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:09 am

Hi, I have a question - I satisfy all the criteria for the IP change but have noticed that, as of six hours after the supposed change time, i am still at my original IP address.
what's happening?
HL.