Bittorrent seeding acting like it's throttled

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
cameronadams

Bittorrent seeding acting like it's throttled

Post by cameronadams » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:50 am

Greetings,

I've been mucking around with utorrent lately to attempt to improve my seeding speed, but to no avail. My problem is it seems like my upload speed is being limited to 15kb/s (on an 8k ADSL1 connection where I used to easily get 35kb/s).

I understand seeds/peers ratios etc, and I probably have 20 torrents loaded at the moment for seeding, yet my speed always hovers around 15kb/s. Suspiciously!

Any ideas? As I said, I'm no n00b, so network congestion / seeds to peers ratios etc. is not going to help me. I've tried altering the basic settings (# connections etc), lazy.bitfield, encryption, quitting peer guardian, but nothing had made a lick of difference.

This is driving me nuts. As I said, the upload speed looks to me as though it's throttled, but I don't imagine this is an exetel issue.

Thanks in advance.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Bittorrent seeding acting like it's throttled

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:58 pm

Something so regular, I would think that it would have to be an obvious setting and nothing particularly advanced or obscure.

So, first up, the obvious (and my apologies for even needing to suggest it) but: Are you sure there is no upload speed cap set? Anywhere? It might be in any of three places: in the system tray (right click the upload speed and ensure it isn't set to 15KB/s), the scheduling options or on a torrent-by-torrent basis.

What does the port / speed checker say? Are you getting a solid green light in the status bar indicating a correctly opened port?

I guess you can also try downloading a newer uTorrent version. That might clear any rogue settings or glitches.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:13 pm

I think he has QoS setup somewhere as 128kbps.

There's another possibility, the DSL port isn't set correctly, PM your service number to me and I can take a look at it.

cameronadams

Post by cameronadams » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:43 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:Something so regular, I would think that it would have to be an obvious setting and nothing particularly advanced or obscure.

So, first up, the obvious (and my apologies for even needing to suggest it) but: Are you sure there is no upload speed cap set? Anywhere? It might be in any of three places: in the system tray (right click the upload speed and ensure it isn't set to 15KB/s), the scheduling options or on a torrent-by-torrent basis.

What does the port / speed checker say? Are you getting a solid green light in the status bar indicating a correctly opened port?

I guess you can also try downloading a newer uTorrent version. That might clear any rogue settings or glitches.
Thanks for the quick reply - I don't mind going through "Is it plugged in" kinda stuff, as I'm out of ideas!

Upload speed is capped at 35kb/s, and I have tried no cap, no scheduler running, torrent by torrent is on defaults. Port is forwarded correctly (using 35796). Green light and checks out okay.

Jason: PM sent, thanks! Will check out QoS when I get home. Perhaps a sneaky Windows Update has fiddled.. I will also run speedtest, which I have not done yet, will report back. Ta!

cameronadams

Post by cameronadams » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:50 pm

+1 JasonM. "Bandwidth management" has been switched on on my router.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated guys!

mxw

Post by mxw » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:32 pm

Hi cameronadams, can you please explain what you did in your modem settings to increase your upload speed? Thanks!