Churn from Bigpond to Exetel

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
popper

Churn from Bigpond to Exetel

Post by popper » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:39 pm

Hi all,

This is my first posting since joining so I hope I have put this in the correct section.

Over the last month or so, I have tried twice to get ADSL1 with Exetel, but twice was refused due to Telstra's apparent lack of ports at my local exchange.

I since have successfully connected ADSL with Bigpond (surprise, surprise!!), and was hoping I could now churn over to Exetel.

My question is:

I am yet to receive my Bigpond install kit, and am actually unsure whether the ADSL is actually active yet, even thought the Telstra tech said it was on Tuesday. Can I commence the churn process now?

I am hoping so, as this was just a test to prove that Telstra weren't releasing ports to other ISP's except Bigpond.

Thanks in advance.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Churn from Bigpond to Exetel

Post by Dazzled » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:58 pm

I'd read the Bigpond terms carefully, as I wouldn't be surprised if you are now bound by contract, and looking at a break fee.

popper

Post by popper » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:02 pm

Well, if they try that, I'll be contacting the ACCC and TIO, as I stated before, they rejected me twice when I applied through Exetel, but all of a sudden, found a port when I applied through Bigpond, which was within 3 days of being rejected the latest time.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:29 pm

popper wrote:Well, if they try that, I'll be contacting the ACCC and TIO, as I stated before, they rejected me twice when I applied through Exetel, but all of a sudden, found a port when I applied through Bigpond, which was within 3 days of being rejected the latest time.
This is no defence.

You applied for Telstra BigPond, you entered a contract. Churning to Exetel represents a break in that contract and the twice rejection through Exetel does not nullify this contract in the slightest.

If you are going to pursue a churn, you will clearly need to wait until the ADSL is active. Then apply via the Exetel website. But you have been warned that you will almost definitely be hit with a BigPond early termination fee and that this is an issue between you and Telstra; Exetel have no involvement here.

popper

Post by popper » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:30 pm

Hi Corey,

I in no way intended to imply that Exetel was at fault here. I was just annoyed that whilst twice having applied for ADSL with Exetel and twice got rejected on technical grounds, all of a sudden, I was able to get it through Bigpond.

I have since found out that my contract with Bigpond won't start until I insert their startup CD and connect, or don't do anything within 21 days.

I have since applied to churn to Exetel now that the ADSL was supposedly "live" on Friday evening.

Cheers,

Ian

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:55 pm

popper wrote:I have since found out that my contract with Bigpond won't start until I insert their startup CD and connect, or don't do anything within 21 days.
I have since applied to churn to Exetel now that the ADSL was supposedly "live" on Friday evening.
This is a very unique way to churn to Exetel: Have Bigpond obtain the port (because it wouldn't surprise me at all if Telstra reserve ports for their own use) and churn before "service commencement" as defined in section 1.6 of http://www.telstra.com.au/customerterms ... part_a.pdf. The "do nothing within 21 days" part is not the correct interpretation. The contract starts at the earlier of when you start using the service, or 21 days from notice of activation.

Playing devil's advocate here though: "churning to a competitor" might constitute doing something within the 21 days and initiate your contract leaving you open for a termination fee. Alternatively, Telstra might simply remove the ADSL codes from your line, preventing you from churning or disconnecting your ADSL after you've churned. Personally, I think that you are going to receive a large fee from Telstra for your actions. But it will be interested to hear how successful this method ends up being.

Edit: Or it may be as described at http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... #r18269320: The churn might be denied because the service has not commenced yet (even though the ADSL codes are on the line)

2nd edit: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 95817.html shows that others have tried what you are trying. No update to the thread, so I can't tell if they were successful.