USB/USIN card has not been detected or is invalid

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
brontoo

USB/USIN card has not been detected or is invalid

Post by brontoo » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:47 am

HI,
I've purchased Exetel HSPA with a HUAWEI E160E DSDPA USB Stick. I am getting the attached message. This is what I have done:

1. I activated my service and got the email back from Exetel.
2. Added the SIM card to the stick. I think this was done correctly, based on the picture in the Quick Start Guide. (Gold chip facing up on the SIM card tray, loaded towards the middle of the USB stick, tray "clicked in")
2. Stuck the stick into my USB slot.
3. Stick seemed to install OK. Getting a flashing green light.
4. Started Wireless Broadband service by double clicking on the icon on the desktop.
5. Got the message (see subject line and attachment).
6. Carried on to do the set up as per the doco to link to exetel1.
7. Shut down Wireless Broadband.
8. Tried again (steps 4, 5, 7) with same result.

Only complication that may impact is that I am connected to my home wireless network at the same time. (The purpose of the USB stick is for outside of home)

One more question, I tried to access the Exetel helpdesk, but the signon/password from my activation email (i.e. my phone number) was rejected. Is there something else I should be using?
Attachments
exetel01.jpg
Screenshot of error message
exetel01.jpg (70.88 KiB) Viewed 1271 times

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: USB/USIN card has not been detected or is invalid

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:39 am

brontoo wrote:Only complication that may impact is that I am connected to my home wireless network at the same time. (The purpose of the USB stick is for outside of home)
Existing wireless network will not complicate matters. I do this regularly (have a wireless and USB mobile broadband operating simultaneously) to test external loopbacks sometimes.
brontoo wrote:One more question, I tried to access the Exetel helpdesk, but the signon/password from my activation email (i.e. my phone number) was rejected. Is there something else I should be using?
Helpdesk should work but there are reports like yours where it doesn't. You can email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au instead.

By the sound of it, you will need to email Exetel to find out why the SIM is not working as you have completed all the right steps.

Mike Agent N040

Post by Mike Agent N040 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:08 pm

I've once had a mobile phone kill a SIM card. You can put the SIM in an Optus or Unlocked modem to see if the SIM really is dead.

Here's how to install it in the E160 or E169

Exetel Agent N040
http://auzzie.net/cccweb

brontoo

Post by brontoo » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:35 pm

Thanks, I've emailed support using the email address provided. Fingers crossed!