Symptom of a dying NIC?

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
Emmental

Symptom of a dying NIC?

Post by Emmental » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:50 pm

Yesterday I started having connection problems, and after a fair amount of messing around I think I've come to the conclusion that my network card (i.e. motherboard) is dying. However, I'd just like to run this by someone else before I take the machine into the store to get it replaced.

I first noticed the problem last night while playing an online game. Things would be fine but I'd get what seemed to be occasional huge lag spikes (1-3 minutes) and my pings were about 100-200ms higher than usual. I also noticed, though, that many web sites were taking a long time to load, including Exetel's, which usually loads instantly.

Eventually I rebooted the PC, and when it came back up, the port on the router to which this PC is connected was orange instead of the usual green, which in the case of Netgear indicates a 10mbit connection (it blinks green for a few seconds then goes orange). Once I did this, the connection worked perfectly again. If I restart the router but not the PC, it reverts to thinking it's using 100mbit and the problems return.

Any port I plug this PC into is orange (also tested with a new cable) and a laptop will connect at 100mbit OK so everything seems to point to the PC. I also checked the NIC speed & duplex settings in the properties (Vista), which is set to auto-detect. It still fails if I force 100mbit.

Is there anything else I should check or is my motherboard on its way out?

Thanks.

Mike Agent N040

Re: Symptom of a dying NIC?

Post by Mike Agent N040 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:27 pm

Try a ping -t to your modem's IP and see if it is varying significantly or dropping packets - try from more than one machine if possible,
Exetel Agent N040
http://auzzie.net/cccweb

Emmental

Post by Emmental » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:17 am

OK, it looks like it's the router after all.

Pinging from this PC at 10mbs (the initial suspect) I was getting a constant <1ms with no dropped packets. However, from a laptop connected at 100mbs I'd get packets dropping every 5 or 6. Additionally, I couldn't get to any web sites at all from the laptop, only as far as a DNS lookup then "waiting for site".

I forced the laptop down to 10mbps and the connection then worked perfectly (<1ms pings, no drops and internet connection OK). My previous test only went as far as plugging the laptop into the router and seeing it connect at 100mbs on the lights. I guess I should have tested more thoroughly there.

I don't know your thoughts are on this, but it's now looking like a router problem. Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

Mike Agent N040

Post by Mike Agent N040 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:30 am

You're welcome :)

If you're only on ADSL1 and not using file sharing, you should not see any internet speed drop using 10M instead of 100M so you might want to keep the old router a little longer.

Otherwise, yes it sounds like the router is not well.

Cheers, Mike.
Exetel Agent N040
http://auzzie.net/cccweb