Snow Leopard Server Set Up - Network issues

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
mastcell

Snow Leopard Server Set Up - Network issues

Post by mastcell » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:28 pm

I am in the process of setting up my Snow Leopard Server for work and got stuck at these three screens (see attached):

1. In 'Network Names' screen, I was asked for Primary DNS name
2. In 'Mail Options', I was asked for 'Outgoing mail relay' and 'SMTP relay authentication - username and password'. Which username and password do I use?
3. In 'Network', I used the DHCP server assigned IP address. Is this correct or should I be using Exetel assigned IP address (115.70.133.55) or Primary NS IP address, which according to allocated zone file, is '220.233.0.1'?

I have Exetel ADSL2 with a static IP. I also have domain name registered (say, xxx.com) and email hosting (say myname@xxx.com and myname2@xxx.com) all through Exetel but no web hosting.

I noted that there is a zone file for the domain name, where the Primary NS is 'ns1.exetel.com.au.', with a primary NS IP at '220.233.0.1' and MX is either 'ipmx1.po.exetel.com.au.' and 'ipmx2.po.exetel.com.au.'

Is this what I enter into the fields in question above? Or should I be looking somewhere else for these information? Please help. Thanks!
Attachments
Network.png
Network.png (131.24 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
Mail Options.png
Mail Options.png (120.89 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
Network Names.png
Network Names.png (114.72 KiB) Viewed 1212 times

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Snow Leopard Server Set Up - Network issues

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:16 am

mastcell wrote:1. In 'Network Names' screen, I was asked for Primary DNS name
2. In 'Mail Options', I was asked for 'Outgoing mail relay' and 'SMTP relay authentication - username and password'. Which username and password do I use?
3. In 'Network', I used the DHCP server assigned IP address. Is this correct or should I be using Exetel assigned IP address (115.70.133.55) or Primary NS IP address, which according to allocated zone file, is '220.233.0.1'?
1. I don't think it matters what you put here. The intention is that the "primary DNS name" is asking "what would you like to name your computer". Anything without spaces should be fine and I don't think you need to use "domain.com" or anything like that. Just call it "myserver" for instance. The "Computer Name" looks like it is a description of your computer. Each of them are purely for internal networking and so don't affect your internet connection.
2. Outgoing mail is smtp.[state].exemail.com.au. No SMTP authentication is needed (i.e. relaying is automatically permitted if you are using an Exetel connection and always denied, even with authentication, otherwise)
3. By the look of it, your computer is using your modem as the DNS server. This will work as long as the modem itself is set to automatically obtain the Exetel DNS server (and almost all modems automatically get this info so your current setting should work). Otherwise, you can set it to 220.233.0.3 or 220.233.0.4
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

mattmuir

Re: Snow Leopard Server Set Up - Network issues

Post by mattmuir » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:28 am

Hi Mastcell.

Which configuration are you attempting? And which modem are you attempting?

I had enormous problems last year attempting to set up my Snow Leopard Server as a "pass-thru" server (server sits between other computers & internet) with my Dynalink 1046VW modem. In the end I called on some experts, and after 12 hours, they too gave up....