Connection Failure between iMac & Modem

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
diesel

Connection Failure between iMac & Modem

Post by diesel » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:27 am

Hi There,

I have been dealing with a recurring problem where it would appear that the connection between my modem and iMac isn't working. Firstly, I have a D-Link DSL-G604T and have a wireless network setup. The thing is that the internet will operate smoothly on the iMac about 40% of the time. The other times, it will just hang and not load pages or download emails. It can go on days at a time like this, then some times it is back to full speed, then it all happens again. During these times when it is not loading, I can't even log onto the modem.

I have replaced the cable between the modem and iMac with no improvement in performance.

Here is the kicker in all of this, the wireless network connected to an iBook still works perfectly. All of the time.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks in Advance,

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Connection Failure between iMac & Modem

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:57 pm

I don't know anything about Mac network settings to help there (though if there was some way to reset them or uninstall / reinstall the Mac TCP/IP drivers I'd be giving that a go first of all). Otherwise, you can try a different port in the DLink or look for a shared IP address conflict. In fact, you could try a different modem completely. I've never liked DLinks at all and I've seen more forums threads saying "replaced my DLink and everything works perfectly now" than for any other modem brand.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

mattmuir

Re: Connection Failure between iMac & Modem

Post by mattmuir » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:23 am

Hi Diesel.

If the iBook is working fine then the connection to "outside" is not the problem. I had a similar problem but it turned out to be a conflicting IP address internally (2 devices trying to access the same IP address). Pretty certain though that both Leopard & Snow Leopard (sorry - don't remember enough about Tiger or earlier) warn you of the conflict via a pop-up.

Have you checked the LAN connection on the iMac? No dust etc in there?

Does it have a second port you can try on both the iMac & iBook?

Have you turned off the wireless on the iMac whilst the LAN cable is connected?

What about if you try the connection wirelessly?

Also, have you tried to connect both computers via LAN cable (& modem/router) and copy a file between them? (this may show you a faulty connection with the copy speeding & slowing).

Have you hooked the iBook up via cable to the same LAN port as the iMac to test if the modem/router is ok?

Is "Time Machine" attempting to run when the system slows?

That's about my limit...