Having trouble running a half-life dedicated server

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
Maz

Having trouble running a half-life dedicated server

Post by Maz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:45 am

I'm running out of ideas as to what the problem could be and it appears that a couple of days of searching have got me no closer to an answer. So this is more a 'grasping at straws' kind of question:

Is there any reason that I wouldnt be able to host a half-life based dedicated server on my exetel connection? Ports blocked? anything?

Otherwise i'm open to any other suggestions. Ports have all been forwarded and allowed through firewalls. Took a backup of the machine and tried it in the DMZ with no firewall and still people were unable to connect through the internet.
It shows fine on lan and I can connect locally (sv_lan is set to 0). The only clue that I can find is the last message from the console printout that says "Could not establish connection to Steam servers."

I'm not unfamilliar with the networking side of things and I have tried everything possible to debug this problem. What I have no idea about is the HLDS program and steam service in general. I've enabled all debugging info on the server but it doesn't add much in the way of a reason for the connection to steam servers to fail. Just wondering if anyone on these forums has had any luck running a HLDS, more specifically, a GMod server.
Thanks
Maz

Maz

Re: Having trouble running a half-life dedicated server

Post by Maz » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:22 pm

No one on here runs a half-life based dedicated server? It's such a stupid problem.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:32 pm

Maz wrote:Is there any reason that I wouldnt be able to host a half-life based dedicated server on my exetel connection? Ports blocked? anything?
No blocked ports, no. Any other internet security software or firewalls configured on your computer at all? I recall that some modems actually have two settings needed to fully open ports too. From another thread "On my 7402, I had to first go into the Billion firewall and tell it to allow any ports I am using, to go through. Then go into the Virtual Server to forward the ports to the required PC."
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

smmagic

Post by smmagic » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:46 pm

Not sure if this thread is still active, but run a server on any map.
Type sv_lan 0
ip <external IP>
then map mapname
and it should connect to the steam servers correctly.