modem setup

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
beard

modem setup

Post by beard » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:09 am

Hi
As a brand new exetel customer not even connected as yet still on dialup with kooee(ex soul)
I have a question and am green as grass re all this
Should I be able to set up my D-LINK 502T modem utilising the procedure outlined in exewiki
as if I try with the dialup connection and firefox browser it won,t even open the page http://10.1.1.1
I,m trying to prepare for connection
Do I have to have the modem connected even thougt there is no service from exetel as yet
I suspect somehow this is a silly question but as I say I,m comeing from a position of ignorance at this stage

sable

Re: modem setup

Post by sable » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:34 am

You need to connect your Dlink to your computer via ethernet peferably, open browser and enter 10.1.1.1 in the address bar, you will then be connected locally to the Dlink and you can enter your Exetel user name and password in the appropriate spot.

You do not need your dialup connection running unless you want to refer to the Exewiki or other info.

beard

Post by beard » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:15 pm

Sable
Thanks for replying
So bottom line I will wait till I get a connection from exetel. I was trying to jump the gun
B

sable

Post by sable » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:59 pm

No, you can set the modem up, with the phone line connected to the ADSL socket on the modem and wait for all appropriate lights to be green, probably not flashing you will then be on line and ready to go.

Assuming you have applied for ADSL1, the connection date you have been given is an estimate based on date your service was "approved" + 7 days. The advise that you will get from Exetel that you are connected could be up to two days after you actually went live as they rely on Telstra to tell them when it has happened.

If you applied for ADSL2 the appointment date you have been given should be the day you will be connected.