Active phone line for naked adsl2?

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
teepee47

Active phone line for naked adsl2?

Post by teepee47 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:43 am

Hi,

I've just moved and I'm considering signing up for exetel with one of the naked adsl2 plans. Currently I believe the phone line is inactive. Would I be correct in saying that it needs to be active for Exetel to connect this plan? Why is this the case? Isn't the whole point of naked adsl2 that you don't need the phone line to be active? Won't it just be disconnected once the internet is set up anyway? Can Exetel set up the phone line, active the adsl2 then disconnect the phone line for me?

Thanks for any help.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Active phone line for naked adsl2?

Post by Dazzled » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:59 am

Naked ADSL2 is a signal over a phone line, so the line is very much active. Before the the transfer of the line is accepted, Optus and Telstra not unreasonably require that it really works, and a connected and functional telephone proves that. After the transfer the phone service will be disconnected.

Exetel has an arrangement to connect existing ADSL2 customers who are relocating - CoreyPlover has posted on several threads about it in the forum. Otherwise you will have to get the job done by Telstra, who will charge a connection fee, a month's rental, and an extra fee to close their plan early. Some other ISPs do arrange this, but they pass on the Telstra charges, so you are no better off.

teepee47

Post by teepee47 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:08 am

Ah I see now, thanks for the help.

I was getting mixed up between 'line rental' and an 'active line'

simoneast

Post by simoneast » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:24 am

Yeah, I've just been looking to get naked ADSL2 in the place we're moving into this weekend and had the same question. It seems bizarre to have to connect a phone service only to disconnect again shortly after. Is this the case only with Exetel? Or do the companies with their own DSLAMs (iiNet etc.) have the same requirement?

Simon.

simoneast

Post by simoneast » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:37 am

And can you apply for phone connection through Optus? Or does it need to be Telstra (I hate Telstra's customer service). Are the fees much different?

Simon.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:17 pm

Last time I looked, Optus phones had a long contract, and they will try to put you onto the TV cable, which is useless for ADSL.

teepee47

Post by teepee47 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:21 pm

I have one further question.

It is likely that the previous tenants used the phone line, so is it possible that the phone line is still active without a phone service/line rental being paid for? If this is the case will exetel be able to set up naked adsl2 without me having to give all that money to telstra?

Simon,

I think i read somewhere that iiNet can hook up naked ADSL without an active phone line (not positive about this). So I guess other companies would do this as well.

You should be able to apply for the phone connection with optus as well. Telstra is not a requirement but I'm not sure about fees being different.

Might want to wait for someone to confirm what I've just said though!

Cheers

Tim K

Post by Tim K » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:02 pm

teepee47 wrote:I have one further question.

It is likely that the previous tenants used the phone line, so is it possible that the phone line is still active without a phone service/line rental being paid for? If this is the case will exetel be able to set up naked adsl2 without me having to give all that money to telstra?
This is probalby not going to be sufficeint - only because the phone line would not be in your name. This can cause dramas.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:06 pm

.. and it's illegal to make changes to an account you do not hold.

teepee47

Post by teepee47 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Ok thanks... I also emailed exetel sales and they confirmed I need a phone service in my name.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:27 pm

simoneast wrote:Yeah, I've just been looking to get naked ADSL2 in the place we're moving into this weekend and had the same question. It seems bizarre to have to connect a phone service only to disconnect again shortly after. Is this the case only with Exetel? Or do the companies with their own DSLAMs (iiNet etc.) have the same requirement?
The unusual procedure (connect a phone line which gets disconnected shortly after) is an Exetel-specific one. They are a reseller of Optus infrastructure services and so, for whatever reason, have this procedure in place.

When Naked services were initially offered, most people had active phone lines anyway, so it wasn't really an issue. Nowadays it is getting more common for new Naked ADSL2+ services to be sought. Exetel do have newer procedures that allow for current Exetel services on Optus infrastructure (Bundled or Naked ADSL2+) to be relocated to a new premises and for this they will handle the line activation as well as the ADSL2+ activation as well as the subsequent deactivation of the phone in the case of NAked ADSL2+. They previously expressed some possibilities of offering the same for new line activations as well but unfortunately nothing seems to have materialised yet.

But in summary, yes, it is Exetel-specific whereas companies with their own DSLAMs tend to be able to perform all the necessary activations as needed
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:31 pm

So can other Optus-resellers, the requirement for an active Telstra line is an Exetel decision.