Setting up modem ?

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
Philler

Setting up modem ?

Post by Philler » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:10 pm

I have had my ADSL2 service activated.

My phone line is working, I can make calls.
I reset the modem manually as I had used it on a previous connection.

I unplug the phone cable and plug it into my Netcomm NB1 modem. Only the power light is on, the ADSL or PPP light does not come on at all.

I then plugged an ethernet cable from the modem into my laptop. Ethernet light now comes on.

I go to 192.168.1.1 and key in admin and admin. I then put in my new username for exetel and my password. It tells me that the "Settings were saved successfully" or something similar.
This is in the easy config area, with PPPoe selected.

The ADSL and PPP lights remains off.

Sad, please help ! :(
Last edited by Philler on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philler

Re: Setting up modem ?

Post by Philler » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:20 pm

Additional info:
I ordered the NF/21BYO Line plan, and my phone line is with Telstra. The Telstra plan I have is the Homeline Complete one.

I am now wondering if either of these is an issue:
# BYO plans are only available where AAPT infrastructure is available in your exchange.
# These ADSL2 plans require you to rent a telephone line from the provider of your choice (not Exetel) over which you can make and receive standard PSTN telephone calls.
Last edited by Philler on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:21 pm

If you are worried that it might have wrong settings in it from past use, do a factory reset - turn it on, and press the rest button.
Then, from your web browser, log in and on the easy config page enter your full Exetel name and the password. You can then press apply.

Edit: If Exetel has connected you on a BYO plan, it makes no difference for internet who supplies the phone. Make sure you modem is unfiltered, but filter the phones.

Quick settings are PPPoE, VPI 8, VCI 35
Last edited by Dazzled on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Philler

Post by Philler » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:23 pm

Dazzled wrote:If you are worried that it might have wrong settings in it from past use, do a factory reset - turn it on, and press the rest button.
Then, from your web browser, log in and on the easy config page enter your full Exetel name and the password. You can then press apply.

Edit: If Exetel has connected you on a BYO plan, it makes no difference for internet who supplies the phone. Make sure you modem is unfiltered, but filter the phones.
Yes, I did that, and it says it has saved the settings successfully, but still it cannot make a DSL connection.....

Philler

Post by Philler » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:25 pm

Dazzled wrote: Edit: If Exetel has connected you on a BYO plan, it makes no difference for internet who supplies the phone. Make sure you modem is unfiltered, but filter the phones.
How do I check this?
Dazzled wrote:Quick settings are PPPoE, VPI 8, VCI 35
Checked, and these are the settings I have set.

Thanks for your advice.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:28 pm

Have you looked up http://www.exetel.com.au/new-user-information.php, Connecting to Exetel page. You may have made a typo with the name and password. Exetel's server is a Linux machine, and is case sensitive.

Philler

Post by Philler » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:30 pm

Dazzled wrote:Have you looked up http://www.exetel.com.au/new-user-information.php, Connecting to Exetel page. You may have made a typo with the name and password. Exetel's server is a Linux machine, and is case sensitive.
I changed my password on Exetel's website, so I am using the new password I set.
Double checked the username, and it is correct.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:38 pm

Oh... I'm a long term customer and my user facility and modem passwords aren't linked. If this is the problem you'll either have to wait until a staff member pops by, or else confirm the login details with residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Philler

Post by Philler » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:52 pm

I rang earlier and they seemed to confirm that I had the right password and username.
*sigh*

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:02 pm

The lights:

Power
On Power is on.
Off Power is off.
ADSL
On A valid ADSL connection (you are connected to the exchange).
Flashing An active WAN session.
PPP
Flashing Trying to authenticate with ISP’s PPP server (uses login details)
On PPP link is up.
Off No PPP link available.

Philler

Post by Philler » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:11 pm

Sorry, I made a bit of an ommission in my original post.

Neither the ADSL or the PPP light come on at all.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:48 pm

Make sure you've filtered things correctly. You must have the phone line going into the modem unfiltered and all other phone lines in the house filtered.

If you filter the modem line, or if you fail to filter any other phone or fax device, your internet won't work. So the best test to do is unplug all devices from wall sockets around your house and plug only the modem in, unfiltered, to see if you get a light.

Second, you can try and borrow someone else's modem to see if that picks up a ADSL / PPP light. This rules out any issue with your hardware

Third, ring Exetel again or log a fault (via residentialsupport@exetel.com.au) saying how your modem does not seem to be getting sync at all. There might have been an error in provisioning that you can ask them to check on.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au