ATA port forwarding for file sharing apps

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
Golden Path

ATA port forwarding for file sharing apps

Post by Golden Path » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:34 pm

Hello everyone.

Previously I had forwarded a range of ports on my NB6 to allow UTorrent unimpeded access.

Now, since I have added an ATA to the network my UTorrent is telling me I'm at least partially blocked - I assume the ATA is the cause. Though UTorrent seems to be working it's perhaps not as good as it could be.

I assume that I need to do some port forwarding on my ATA (Netcomm V210P) - I'm familiar with how to do this using the virtual server setup, however I'm not really sure what IP address I should put in. Is it my WAN IP or is it my LAN IP?

My cabling is configured as per the setup guide - V210 LAN cable to computer and WAN to modem.

Thanks.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: ATA port forwarding for file sharing apps

Post by Dazzled » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:48 pm

Port forward the LAN address. The WAN address gets the packets as far as the gateway, and the router takes care of the final destination. Port 5060 UDP.

bulletmark

Post by bulletmark » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:25 pm

Seems that ATA provides an option to bridge the WAN + LAN. Arguably that would be a better setup. Your ATA would not then not be in the way at all.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:59 pm

I'd agree, just to avoid double NAT, but the OP has been through a bit with the ATA already, following the help sheet. The V210P has the disadvantage for a router of only one LAN port, so there isn't a big gain. Long term he's likely best off continuing to use his modem as the normal router. I made a DMZ suggestion on the other thread.

Golden Path

Post by Golden Path » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:16 pm

Dazzled wrote:Port forward the LAN address. The WAN address gets the packets as far as the gateway, and the router takes care of the final destination. Port 5060 UDP.
Hmmm, I did that and my SIP light went out and would not come back on even after a reboot.

Upon removing the forwarding rule and rebooting the ATA, the SIP light came back on.

I'll just leave it I think, I've wasted far too much time on this as it is.

Thanks for trying everyone. :)

bulletmark

Post by bulletmark » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:30 pm

ATA's and modems should work nowadays without and stuffing around and port forwarding. Remove all your port forwards everywhere, set your LAN + WAN bridged on the ATA, and try it again. Try with and without SIP ALG configured on your router.

Golden Path

Post by Golden Path » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:40 pm

I don't really understand half what you just said - so best to adopt the old "If it aint broke, don't fix it." rationale, I reckon.... :lol:

But thanks for the suggestion all the same.

bulletmark

Post by bulletmark » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:08 pm

Golden Path wrote:I don't really understand half what you just said -
Well you said yourself that you have been adding port forwards, so you must know how to delete them? Then your ATA has an option in it's web configuration to bridge the LAN + WAN. Just enable that. Your router has an option in it's web configuration to enable or disable SIP ALG. Try it both ways, preferably disabled.

Golden Path

Post by Golden Path » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:06 am

Yes, I understand about port forwarding.

But I don't want to change other settings to find they affect something I didn't expect them to - like what happened with port forwarding on the ATA. I did that and my VOIP no longer worked and I don't understand why.

I don't want to address a minor problem only to find it creates a bigger one - one that I might have no idea how to fix.

Cheers.