Powertel / AAPT --> ADSLx Availability Plans & Reports

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
Thy_Zombie!

Powertel / AAPT --> ADSLx Availability Plans & Reports

Post by Thy_Zombie! » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Heya

I'm on the Central Coast, Saratoga (SRTA) Exchange. For a very long time I have been wanting to join a BYO ADSL2 plan but, like many others, am very much hamstrung by availability of Powertel/AAPT infrastructure needing to be in this area, for Exetel to resell.

I have been teased on so many occasions by emails from Exetel offering to lure me away from my ADSL1 service in order to take up a much better ADSL2 service. From memory, one included a $50 credit and the likes. Unfortunately I'm just left to wipe the salivating drool from the side of my mouth. Along with the distaste of facing a $5 increase next month, on an inferior ADSL1 service.

And I once again find myself doing the same (wiping drool from side of mouth) with a tempting post for "loyal Exetel customers" ---> Re: ADSL2 Unlimited Plans (For Exetel Users Only) which I recognise as just being up for comment at this stage. However if it does eventuate, I feel that I will be left out yet again. Not because I'm not a "loyal Exetel customer" but because Exetel's reselling provider is not connected in my area. (And I do understand that Exetel is very much limited by value in the provisioning on offer by providers.)

This long winded intro leads me to the point of my thread...

1) Does Powertel/AAPT have a publicly available site which shows ADSLx availability plans and reports? Similar to that of the Telstra Wholesale ---> ADSL reports and plans site page which shows all sorts of daily updated goodies, including Port Availability and Proposed ADSL Enabled Exchanges.

2) If not, is there anyone in the know for when Saratoga might become enabled by Powertel/AAPT?

3) Lastly and desperately hoping, would part of the current "negotiations" quoted from John's blog in the "ADSL2 Unlimited Plans (For Exetel Users Only)" thread, also include negotiations with alternate providers in my area?

Very much looking forward to the responses. Thanx.

- TZ!

JasonM

Re: Powertel / AAPT --> ADSLx Availability Plans & Reports

Post by JasonM » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:23 pm

Why not go with an ADSL2+ with phone service?
The phone service is just as good as the Telstra line (it is a physical land line).
The price is comparable - and Exetel should come out cheaper if you add the DSL price to your current Telstra bill price, and compare the totals side by side.

It is also available to you right now.
Exchange Code: SRTA
Exchange Availability: YES
Exchange Capacity Reached: NO
Telephone Service Availability: Transfer Current Telephone Service Available
ADSL2 Service Availability: ADSL2 Service Available
Theoretically Estimated Low Speed: 4938
Theoretically Estimated High Speed: 5022

The BYO exchanges as you are aware, are installed by Powertel, they have a minimal foot print, with Gosford, Wyong and some Newcastle coverage. Optus on the other hand have many more enabled exchanges.

Thy_Zombie!

Post by Thy_Zombie! » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:24 am

JasonM wrote:Why not go with an ADSL2+ with phone service?
Thanx JasonM, I'm currently locked into a contract by another phone service for the land line... which doesn't reach maturity for quite some time. Gotta love CONTRACTS!

Got any answers to my questions?
Thy_Zombie! wrote:1) Does Powertel/AAPT have a publicly available site which shows ADSLx availability plans and reports? Similar to that of the Telstra Wholesale ---> ADSL reports and plans site page which shows all sorts of daily updated goodies, including Port Availability and Proposed ADSL Enabled Exchanges.

2) If not, is there anyone in the know for when Saratoga might become enabled by Powertel/AAPT?

3) Lastly and desperately hoping, would part of the current "negotiations" quoted from John's blog in the "ADSL2 Unlimited Plans (For Exetel Users Only)" thread, also include negotiations with alternate providers in my area?
It will help with my decision, soon to made, about adjusting my ISP plan. If Exetel have no plans in their current negotiations to extend BYO reselling from Powertel and if Powertel themselves don't have any pending expansion in the surrounding areas of Gosford and Wyong (as Saratoga is nearby), then that is 9/10ths of my decision made up. I do like Exetel, as my length of service would suggest, but am itching for ADSL2 and a larger monthly GB limit.

I don't really expect an answer to Q3. I understand these negotiations are a private matter for Exetel. Was just hoping beyond all hope that the new negotiations did include an expansion of the BYO limitations. I suppose I probably fall into a very small percentage of Exetel's customer base whom have this issue. Although I've read of many other regional (and not so regional) Exetel customers that have indeed pointed out the same quandary they find themselves in. If this Forum has one of those Vote/Poll options, I might just start such a thread. Am now curious to know how many others are in this bind :)

But yeah, any info on Q1 or 2 would be cool.

Again, very much looking forward to the responses. Thanx.

- TZ!

Thy_Zombie!

Post by Thy_Zombie! » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:29 am

LOL - Didn't notice initially that you (JasonM) are also located on the Central Coast... most likely using an Exetel ADSL2+ with phone service. Lucky BASTIDO :p

- TZ!

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:50 am

This isn't any comfort at all, but I found an old listing of the proposed OPEL broadband project, (canned by Mr Rudd), for the outer Newcastle Region. Looking through it the only spots earmarked for upgrading round your way were: Berkeley Vale, Buff Pt, Gorokan, Kariong, Lake Munmorah, Morisset, Ourimbah, Toukley, all north of you. The larger exchanges in the region are already covered.

Thy_Zombie!

Post by Thy_Zombie! » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:01 pm

Thanx Dazzled, yeah not of any comfort but do appreciate the response ;)

- TZ!

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:11 pm

Thy_Zombie! wrote:1) Does Powertel/AAPT have a publicly available site which shows ADSLx availability plans and reports? Similar to that of the Telstra Wholesale ---> ADSL reports and plans site page which shows all sorts of daily updated goodies, including Port Availability and Proposed ADSL Enabled Exchanges.

Just for completeness, here are some direct responses to your questions:
1. Nope.
2. Nope.
3. Nope.

Actually, for 1, there is www.adsl2exchanges.com.au (and you want to look for "Chime" infrastructure which is Powertel's company name) and there was a thread which listed all Powertel enabled exchanges. But...These list all AAPT and iiNet exchanges and Exetel only activate services on Powertel/AAPT ones, so I don't know of any list for this.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Thy_Zombie!

Post by Thy_Zombie! » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:46 pm

1) Alright. 2) Alright. 3) Alright.

Thankyou for your completeness, CP. Appreciate it ;)

*SIGH - start* Well, a hunting I will continue to go. At the moment, Netspace looks like the one that meets my ADSL2+ needs, somewhat (ADSL2+ 100 (40/60)). Even though their availability checks are all green for my exchange, I will not be holding my breath. They may have similar restrictions for BYO plans too.

I'm not real happy with their [Netspace] excess data that hobbles you to good ol’ dial-up speeds. However they do offer an opt-out, in which case excess usage is charged at 9c/mb (what’s that… $90+/gb, c’mon!). At that rate, may as well go with Dodo and their excess usage of $180 – Sheeeesh!! Am amazed at how few ISP’s offer excess usage fees these days. Was also looking at the aaNet plan with their Exetel copy-cat rate of $3/gb… that was until I read that their “no limit” off peak was counted towards your included monthly limit at a rate of 50% the norm. *SIGH - end*

Geeez - I really wish Exetel did offer a BYO service available in my area. Will be heaps sad to move on from here :((

- TZ!

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:41 am

CoreyPlover wrote:

Just for completeness, here are some direct responses to your questions:
1. Nope.
2. Nope.
3. Nope.

Actually, for 1, there is http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au (and you want to look for "Chime" infrastructure which is Powertel's company name) and there was a thread which listed all Powertel enabled exchanges. But...These list all AAPT and iiNet exchanges and Exetel only activate services on Powertel/AAPT ones, so I don't know of any list for this.
Hi Corey,

Chime is IINet's sister infrastucture company:)

AAPT have a seperate entry I believe, and I have seen no plans to build to Saratoga.