Temporarily Change Service

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
ryanb

Temporarily Change Service

Post by ryanb » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:35 pm

If I wanted to log into a friend's or "business" bigpond account temporarily would this be possible? If so, how long would it take to switch over from my regular exetel connection to the bigpond one? I changed my netgear router login from my exetel one to the bigpond one, as well as update the DNS to bigpond's but I still can't get anything to load?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Temporarily Change Service

Post by Dazzled » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:48 pm

Your modem is still talking to Exetel though, with a bad login.

Do you wish to edit your friend's account details, or do you want to log into his computer and use that? Bigpond will resist your using your friend's data allowance directly.

ryanb

Post by ryanb » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:05 pm

Dazzled wrote:Your modem is still talking to Exetel though, with a bad login.

Do you wish to edit your friend's account details, or do you want to log into his computer and use that? Bigpond will resist your using your friend's data allowance directly.
Actually, I just wanted to log in to my bigpond business account (I used the word friend so it would be easier to explain) so I could use the "data allowance directly". My motive for doing this was to provide temporary internet access to my household as I had a mix up with my Exetel account (insufficient funds on my credit card even after the 72 free hours, so will have to wait 2-3 days with my internet blocked for direct debit to go through).

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:26 pm

On my desktop is an icon that makes me a terminal on someone else's computer, just as if it were my own. I can use browsers and downloaders to place stuff on that computer using the other internet connection, edit files remotely, and I can transfer the files to mine.The gotcha though is that the data transfers to and from my machine are passing through the Exetel connection, so it needs to be active. The internet connection from the exchange goes to Exetel.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:49 pm

ryanb wrote:If I wanted to log into a friend's or "business" bigpond account temporarily would this be possible? If so, how long would it take to switch over from my regular exetel connection to the bigpond one? I changed my netgear router login from my exetel one to the bigpond one, as well as update the DNS to bigpond's but I still can't get anything to load?
It won't work, there are Exetel codes on your line, only Exetel works on it.