Trouble with Filezilla server

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
manwe

Trouble with Filezilla server

Post by manwe » Wed May 26, 2010 7:41 pm

So I'm trying to setup filezilla server and am having some trouble and I figured someone would be able to offer some advice.

Using my computers LAN IP it works fine, but when trying to access it externally using my routers WAN IP address it just fails. Try to connect from my Macbook I get 'connection refused'.

Now checking, from what I can tell I have port forwarding setup right (forwarding port 21 to the LAN IP address of the PC with Filezilla running). I even disabled the software firewall on my PC to make sure that wasn't the problem. My router is a Netcomm NB6Plus4W if that helps any.

I'm scratching my head currently really not sure what I've missed.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Trouble with Filezilla server

Post by Gidget » Wed May 26, 2010 7:49 pm

You cannot access your server/WAN IP from within your own network, you can only access it externally to your network. To access your server internally you need to use its LAN IP (which works, as you've discovered :) )

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

manwe

Post by manwe » Wed May 26, 2010 7:51 pm

Gidget wrote:You cannot access your server/WAN IP from within your own network, you can only access it externally to your network. To access your server internally you need to use its LAN IP (which works, as you've discovered :) )

Gidget
Well thats embarrassing. I figured I'd be able to test it at least to make sure its all setup right :oops:

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Wed May 26, 2010 7:55 pm

If you've got a separate HSPA service you could use that to test your server externally. Or you could get a mate to test it. If you'd like me to give it a try, just PM the details to me.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal