Changing Landline Phone number?

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
annrayl

Changing Landline Phone number?

Post by annrayl » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:59 am

Hi all

I have been with Exetel since 06, not under contract anymore. The landline I have been using is in somebody elses name who has recently passed away. I now have to get the landline disconnected by telstra and put into my name, I think telstra (or what ever provider i end up going with) will make me have a different phone number as when an account is canceled they usually put the numbers out of service for a period of time.

Can anyone tell me if I need to notify Exetel, if so, do I notify them them before or after the number change. Are there any fees for change of land line number if staying at the same address? 0r can i just change the landline number in my members account under user facilities?

I am thinking that I will change my plan onto a new one but thinking it might be best to wait until I have the landline number change sorted.

Thanks in advance for any help..

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Changing Landline Phone number?

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:21 am

Disconnecting a line will also kill your internet service, so your request can have unwanted and expensive side effects when you try to get it back. The first thing to ask is who bills the late owner for the telephone (not the internet) service? Providers have mechanisms for dealing with deceased estates and reassigning numbers to survivors. Sorting such things is an executor's job and if you aren't the executor make sure he/she doesn't inadvertently get a final termination of the service.

If you are on ADSL1 it will be a Telstra phone. A bundled ADSL2 service will have Exetel as the phone provider. If you have a Powertel-based ADSL2 service the phone provider will not be Exetel. Because of the risk of internet loss and reconnection expense I would email Exetel at residentialsupport@exetel.com.au and set out all the particulars.

annrayl

Post by annrayl » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:58 pm

Thanks for your reply Dazzled.

Have sorted out who is paying the bill, the estate is, I am the sole beneficiary of that and the executor is happy to go along with what ever I want to do in regards to the phone connection. Telstra suspended the account (only my net works) before the deceased died so although I can take over the account, any remaining liability and thus the number, they want $59 as well to un-suspend it before I can use it.

My partner is moving in and if I pay the $59 to keep the number I would have only transferred it to his name for business reasons, which costs another $59 plus $30 months rental until being allowed to change ownership. My partners work will pay to set up a phone account in his name and the ongoing monthly rental on that account so possibly going with a new number straight up we will save money, only cost to us would be getting my Exetel changed over to the new number. I am not really too worried about losing the number, just don't want anything permanent to happen to my Exetel service if my home phone number suddenly gets disconnected.

I will email Exetel and find out the applicable cost of changing the number. Hopefully less then i'd be paying telstra to keep the same number and then change ownership of the current number. Was thinking of getting mobile broadband to use when away from home and for any outages when at home. Might get it now cause it might come in handy while my phone number gets changed over.

Unfortunately only ADSL1 here...Telstra said my exchange is 'proposed' to be ADSL2 enabled but who knows how long that will take. I am not holding my breath lol.

sable

Post by sable » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:46 pm

To minimise the chances of your losing your internet connection emphasise strongly to Telstra that there are ADSL codes on the line and you do not want them disturbed.

If the codes are removed which can and I think usually happens then you have to pay Exetel to have the codes replaced.

annrayl

Post by annrayl » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:02 pm

Thanks for the tip Sable will try that ...maybe if I pretend I am interested in one of their over priced services they will be nice to me and leave the codes in place :D