Port forwarding issue

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
Beavis

Port forwarding issue

Post by Beavis » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:07 pm

G'day folks,
Long time Exetel customer, infrequent use of forum.
I have an issue when trying to forward a port.
On port forward, it shows my ip as 115.70.xxx.xxx (utorrent port checker)
when using ipconfig /all, it shows as 192.1668.xxx.xxx

I am using a belkin modem/router and have input the port i want opened.
In the network connetions area when setting the IP, which ip should be used.
I have tried both, and can't get the port open.
Using windows 7. windows defender and firewall are both turned off, utorrent is allowed through comodo (well i think it is anyway)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Port forwarding issue

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:27 pm

Beavis wrote:On port forward, it shows my ip as 115.70.xxx.xxx (utorrent port checker)
when using ipconfig /all, it shows as 192.1668.xxx.xxx

I am using a belkin modem/router and have input the port i want opened.
In the network connetions area when setting the IP, which ip should be used.
192.168.xxx.xxx

The 115.70.x.x is the IP that your modem uses for communicating between it and the internet (called the modem's WAN IP address)
The 192.168.y.y (from IPCONFIG /all) is the IP address that your computer uses to communicate internally (called your computer's LAN IP Address)
There will also be another 192.168.z.z address (likely 192.168.0.1) that you use to connect to your modem's web interface. This is the IP address your modem uses when communicating internally (called your modem's LAN IP Address)

When port forwarding you are telling the modem to forward all traffic on a particular port from the modem WAN address to a computer LAN address.

If setting this up in the Belkin still doesn't get you a green light on uTorrent's test connection utility, you may want to try disabling Comodo, or making an exception for either the port, or the uTorrent application, to ensure traffic gets through.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Beavis

Post by Beavis » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:50 pm

That's what I thought.
Thanks Corey.

Will try and turn Comodo off, but I have set rules to allow utorrent through it.

Regards.

Beavis

Post by Beavis » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:11 pm

Hmm, can't turn Comodo off.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:28 pm

Some modems have 1 or 2 places for the port forwarding rules, one being a port trigger, the other being a port forward (terminology might vary). If you post the Belkin model or a link to an online user manual, I can look over it to confirm.

You can also try making a port exception, rather than an application exception (not familiar with Comodo though, but most firewall software provides this ability). Also try changing the port in uTorrent to another and retrying.

Worst case, try (temporarily) uninstalling Comodo and fully disabling the Windows Firewall and retrying
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Beavis

Post by Beavis » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:09 pm

Utorrents port checker shows Checking port 57238 on 115.70.xxx.xxx... an error has occured, port 57238 doesn't appear to be opened, hence the original question of which ip to use.

Belkin modem : f5d7633au4a
Manual : http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/ ... %20man.pdf

Corey, thanks for the help, there is no rush with this, when/if you get time is plenty sufficient, and much appreciated.
Forwarding the port with XP was easy, and Vista didn't seem to need it. Since using W7 it has been an issue.
Hmm, I wonder if a later version of uTorrent might work, still using 1.6

Cheer.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:49 pm

You can check http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... orrent.htm for exact configuration instructions on the modem (it mentions a "Virtual Servers" configuration which you haven't seemed to mention) but if it works on Windows XP, then it sounds like a Windows 7 firewall setting.

You can definitely try a newer version of uTorrent (1.6 is old). Also check out http://www.w7forums.com/utorrent-and-wi ... t1945.html

It is important to realise that currently, you have 3 layers of "defence" preventing external uTorrent requests from getting into your computer:
1. Your modem's defence. Modem's block all incoming traffic unless it is a response to an outgoing request, or unless there is a rule like a port forward. So follow the http://www.portforward.com instructions to ensure your port is forwarded correctly.
2. Windows firewall. Windows (especially Windows 7) will prevent incoming transmissions unless exceptions are configured properly. I've seen screenshots of "uTorrent (TCP-in)" and "uTorrent (UDP-in)" under allowed programs, with (I think) public access checked but I run WinXP so am not familiar with Windows 7 firewall settings. If not, or in addition, you might also be able to open a specific port in the Windows Firewall to prevent it from defending you against incoming requests on that port
3. Comodo. Same as Windows Firewall. In this respect a software firewall is almost completely redundant and often just makes life harder

So I would suggest: get a newer uTorrent version, then temporarily disable (uninstall) Comodo, then temporarily disable Windows Firewall. With both firewalls (items 2 and 3 above) disabled, as long as you did #1 correctly, things will work perfectly. You can then add back the #2 and #3 layers of protection one at a time (in any order) and ensure you configure them properly. This way you only need to deal with one problem / layer of defence at a time.

Beavis

Post by Beavis » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:41 pm

G'day, Corey.
Already done all that. (Setup the virtual server on the router, followed all the guides at portforward)
Have not long updated uTor.. to the latest version, uninstalled Comodo (already had windows defender and firewall turned off).
My down speeds are ok, it's just the up speeds that somewhat slow.
I think it might be one of the sites I am using. Its a users only site (xtremespeeds.net), so the user base isn't as high as some others, so not as many uses, would equate to less people trying to download which would show minimal upload activity.
Thats' the only thing I can think of.

Thanks for your help.

Ps. My port is now open, yippee. Maybe Comodo was causing the issue.

Thanks again

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:59 pm

That's good to hear. There's a powerful anti-intruder firewall in the router, and Windows provides another to protect itself. Consider if you really need the added complexity of a third firewall, when running a P2P application. Anything downloaded into a Windows box still needs to be malware-scanned though.

Beavis

Post by Beavis » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:16 pm

Have malawarebytes, SpybotS&D and ad-aware.
Ad-aware and Spybot constantly on, malawarebytes scan run evey couple of days. :wink: