Mobile Email Access

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
Post Reply
Bumblegrum
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 12:06 pm
Location: Innes Park, Queensland

Mobile Email Access

Post by Bumblegrum » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:51 pm

Guys, I have been affected by the floods in Queensland and as a result have been forced to relocate. Of necessity I have had to obtain a mobile internet connection through a major supplier to keep in touch with the world.

Having done this however (and EXETEL does not have a RETAIL mobile internet system available anywhere in Australia) I find that I am unable to reply to or create new emails using my Exetel account. I have no problem whatsoever receiving emails from each of my accounts. Webmail is a total pain in the proverbial butt and still does not allow me to copy/paste and send from my preferred email program.

To say that is is rather inconvenient is a very major understatement as it appears to me that Exetel is unable to provide such services in exceptional (or any other circumstances purely because I need to access my account through one of the major mobile internet providers (it is impossible to purchase/activate an Exetel mobile system when it is impossible to access the internet to purchase it).

It could also be the catalyst that decides for me the real value of maintaining an internet account with Exetel.

I would appreciate your advice as to why this is so and what steps Exetel can take to make email sending (in any form) available to me through a connection via another major internet provider (at this stage Optus).

This situation is likely to continue for at least another 3-4 weeks.

Cheers
Brian

sable
Posts: 651
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:28 am
Location: NSW

Re: Mobile Email Access

Post by sable » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:03 pm

Exetel do indeed have a wireless internet service using the Optus network, it is very well priced - prices start at $5 per month with no usage included, usage is 2c pe Mb counted both ways there is no contract term, ideal for casual amd or emergency usage. Plans are listed here http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-hspa-pricing.php

Coerage is as per Optus mobile tower network.

The reason you cannot send emails is that you need to change the smtp server in your email client to that of the provider you are currently using, smtp.qld.exemail.com.au will only work when you are on an Exetel connection.

Bumblegrum
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 12:06 pm
Location: Innes Park, Queensland

Re: Mobile Email Access

Post by Bumblegrum » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:02 pm

sable wrote:Exetel do indeed have a wireless internet service using the Optus network, it is very well priced - prices start at $5 per month with no usage included, usage is 2c pe Mb counted both ways there is no contract term, ideal for casual amd or emergency usage. Plans are listed here http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-hspa-pricing.php

Coerage is as per Optus mobile tower network.

The reason you cannot send emails is that you need to change the smtp server in your email client to that of the provider you are currently using, smtp.qld.exemail.com.au will only work when you are on an Exetel connection.


I absolutely agree that Exetel has a wireless internet service HOWEVER if you don't have an active internet connection or their telephone number there is absolutely no way you can sign up for it. In that respect it's totally useless when you are forced to flee to other places.

I currently have an Optus mobile internet connection and to say that it is pathetic is really praising their abominable service. If you want to send an SMS or have a text chat it is OK but in all other respects it fails to deliver even the basic (14.4) dialup connection speed and they have the gall to advertise it as Broadband.

If as you say Exetel uses the Optus network for their wireless broadband then, based on my current experience, there is absolutely no way I will ever sign up for it.

I have been with Exetel for a few years now and, until this situation arose, was totally satisfied with their offerings and performance. Given the current state of affairs in Queensland it seems that I may need to look elsewhere to get the coverage I need particularly in emergency situations when I have to evacuate.

If a mobile broadband connection will not allow me to send emails ( and Optus doesn't) then it's of absolutely no use to me whatsoever.

Ravenous
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:44 pm
Location: Brisbane, Qld

Re: Mobile Email Access

Post by Ravenous » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:14 pm

Is your outgoing (smtp) mail server set as mail.optusnet.com.au ?

CorporateVoIP

Re: Mobile Email Access

Post by CorporateVoIP » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:15 pm

Bumblegrum wrote:If as you say Exetel uses the Optus network for their wireless broadband then, based on my current experience, there is absolutely no way I will ever sign up for it.
Exetel uses the optus wholesale network. Different to the retail network you sound like you have experience with, where prices are so cheap allegedly because 3 users are provisioned 1 users bandwidth in the hope that they a) don't use it or b)blame "poor reception" for their ability to use their entitlement.

Rather than sell you a service with a theoretical speed maximum unattainable due to alleged over-subscription, Exetel ensures that the amount of backhaul bandwidth available is equal or greater than the sum of the customers attached to it. If you've read John Linton's blog, he has mentioned numerous times that exetel chooses to provide a premium service - where premium in the current market means you can get what you pay for.

I digress. Call 0280301000 and choose residential sales. Quote them your ADSL service number or your email address and explain your circumstances in regard to the flooding. Ask if a wireless BB service can be provided under special consideration because you cannot use your ADSL. By doing over the phone and suitably identifying yourself, it should be able to be added to your existing account with no paperwork - as if you were using your members facility on the net.

Klaas
Posts: 609
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:48 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Mobile Email Access

Post by Klaas » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:04 am

Bumblegrum wrote: I find that I am unable to reply to or create new emails using my Exetel account. I have no problem whatsoever receiving emails from each of my accounts.
As Ravenous refers to:

If you are accessing your Exetel email via a different ISP, you can't use the Exetel outgoing email server. This is an industry standard security practice.

What you can do, is use the other carriers outgoing email server or any public SMTP server for all your accounts.

vk3xem
Posts: 910
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: HEALESVILLE
Contact:

Re: Mobile Email Access

Post by vk3xem » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:50 pm

I agree with what others have posted here. Exetel's bandwidth is much better than Optus because they use thier own access point.
When I have a decent signal it works great. Shame that Exetel aren't jumping on Optus for shit coverage in my area, but that has nothing to do with bandwidth.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

samarium
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:17 am

Re: Mobile Email Access

Post by samarium » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:01 pm

CorporateVoIP wrote:
Bumblegrum wrote:If as you say Exetel uses the Optus network for their wireless broadband then, based on my current experience, there is absolutely no way I will ever sign up for it.
Exetel uses the optus wholesale network. Different to the retail network you sound like you have experience with, where prices are so cheap allegedly because 3 users are provisioned 1 users bandwidth in the hope that they a) don't use it or b)blame "poor reception" for their ability to use their entitlement.

Rather than sell you a service with a theoretical speed maximum unattainable due to alleged over-subscription, Exetel ensures that the amount of backhaul bandwidth available is equal or greater than the sum of the customers attached to it. If you've read John Linton's blog, he has mentioned numerous times that exetel chooses to provide a premium service - where premium in the current market means you can get what you pay for.
And then there are the newish Mobile CAP plans and new Wireless Broadband Standard plans, both using the Optus Retail not Wholesale networks, and so we get the oversubscription issues as stated.

If I could use a Voice/SMS/MMS etc CAP with a Wireless Broadbband Premium data plan, it would be worth a small premium, maybe $5/month. Going back to a fixed IP would be nice too, so I could turn off dyndns.

vk3xem
Posts: 910
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: HEALESVILLE
Contact:

Re: Mobile Email Access

Post by vk3xem » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:20 pm

I just changed to a CAP plan, I hope I didn't lose my static IP and bandwidth. I was not told that would happen and won't be happy if I have been switched like that.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

samarium
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:17 am

Re: Mobile Email Access

Post by samarium » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:51 pm

vk3xem wrote:I just changed to a CAP plan, I hope I didn't lose my static IP and bandwidth. I was not told that would happen and won't be happy if I have been switched like that.
I agree it isn't well documented, and Exetel should be more up front about what they are actually selling us, but that is what happened to me once they actually got the "internet" APN working on my account. While I was on "exetel1" the old IP remained, however it seems that you will be charged excess usage if you use that APN. Bandwidth is tricker to quantify as I find that around Newcastle the coverage is inconsistent at best on both WM-A and CAP35.

vk3xem
Posts: 910
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: HEALESVILLE
Contact:

Re: Mobile Email Access

Post by vk3xem » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:17 pm

I have just opened a support ticket to enquire on this issue. Will post when I get a response.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

vk3xem
Posts: 910
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: HEALESVILLE
Contact:

Re: Mobile Email Access

Post by vk3xem » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:13 pm

I just got a response to my support ticket stating that I should change my APN from exetel1 to yesinternet to avoid excess charges on the CAP35 plan. I have tried to do this but get error619, the same with all the other Optus APN's I have.

This is very poor form on Exetel's part. I have been in hospital since the weekend and making quite a bit of use of data on my laptap through the phone. I won't be impressed getting excess charges because Exetel failed to advise me of this technical detail.

I have replied to the support ticket and hope to get this resolved quickly. My guess is that it will need to be revisited at the end of the month when the next bill is due.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

samarium
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:17 am

Re: Mobile Email Access

Post by samarium » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:59 pm

I had exactly the same issue migrating from WM-A to CAP35. I agree it is poor form from Exetel. This is the 3rd time I have heard this exact issue, and support should know there is a problem, and steps should be in place to do manual followup on these migrations to ensure they work without issues. Let me know if you want me to chase down my ticket # if you need a reference.

Pav @ hspasales took on my issue and got it fixed, billing was correct too, was happy about that. Not happy about the time wasted chasing things up that Exetel (or Optus) should have got right in the first place. I just said to support that I'll keep using "exetel1" until you can give me an "internet" APN that works.

vk3xem
Posts: 910
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: HEALESVILLE
Contact:

Re: Mobile Email Access

Post by vk3xem » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:11 pm

I've got major reception issues, Exetel isn't having much luck with Optarse and now investigating whether Vodafone is an option for me.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

vk3xem
Posts: 910
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: HEALESVILLE
Contact:

Re: Mobile Email Access

Post by vk3xem » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:50 pm

So much for UNLIMITED FACEBOOK on CAP35! That's what I've mainly been using hospital as well as email and occassional browsing, but the EXCESS charges are saying otherwise!!!!

Time to raise another support ticket. Optus can shove it!!!!!
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Post Reply