FAQ

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)

FAQ

Postby NetworkAdmin on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:36 pm

This thread is for questions about IPv6 and migration to IPv4.

Questions and answers will be collated and used in a general FAQ.
NetworkAdmin

Re: FAQ

Postby NetworkAdmin on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:53 pm

Here is my 'starter' Q&A

Is IPv6 compatible with IPv4?

No. You can run both at the same time (like you could with IP and IPX, if anyone remembers that from years ago), but an IPv4 address isn't understood by the IPv6 protocol, and vice versa. Running both IPv4 and IPv6 is called 'dual stack', and is the only way possible to transition from one to the other.

What is Exetel's IPv6 address block?

2406:3400::/32

Will Exetel assign IPv6 address blocks to customers?

Yes

What is Exetel's policy for IPv6 address assignment?

We follow the ARIN/APNIC published guidelines:

/64 for each end user
/48 for multi-site users
/32 for ISP's

Though I think what we will do is use /56 blocks for multi site VPN's and /48's only for people who specifically ask for that amount.

What if I want multi-homed address space?

Just the same as it is for IPv4, the address space Exetel can assign you can only be announced via Exetel's AS number - that is; it can only be single homed to Exetel. If you don't know what that means, then it doesn't matter, it wont be a problem for you. If you do know what it means, then it also means you will need to apply directly to APNIC for your own IPv6 address space, and AS number.

Can I use IPv6 now?

yes, nothing, apart from almost no one else in the world using it, would stop you.

When can I change to IPv6?

Right now (Feb 2011) if you want. But the take up of IPv6 globally is only 0.2%, so there is very little you can access using only IPv6. Also, only one of our suppliers, and no tier 1 carrier in Australia will accept IPv6 addresses from us. So If you want to run IPv6 yourself, you will need to set up IPv4 tunnels to the other IPv6 sites or peering points you want to access.

When will I HAVE to change to IPv6?

At some stage, a 'tipping point' will be reached and just like fax machines in the 1980's, the whole world will for from mostly no IPv6 to mostly all IPv6. Your own crystal ball may be able to tell you more accurately when this would be, but my best guess is somewhere in not less than three, and maybe 5 years.

What is the change process to IPv6?

The start of the process will be that your router and computers will need to run 'dual stack' IP, which is; run both IPv4 and IPv6 at the same time. By default, almost all OS's now install a dual stack. So it should only be a matter of enabling the same in your border/CPE router and DHCP server.

Can Exetel manage the IPv6 change for me?

Sure. We will be happy to quote on a time and materials basis to do that.

When will Exetel start running Dual Stack and accept IPv6 announcements from Customers?

We have been trialing IPv6 in a very limited, test-bed only, way for the last nine months. All our core routers are capable of running dual stack, and some planned upgrades to LNS router memory will allow then to run dual stack in the next three to six months. However, we have no plan to accept IPv6 in less than 6 months, and probably not in less than 12 months.

How long can I keep running IPv4?

In theory, for ever. Just like you could, in theory, still run Windows 3.1 right now. Practically, my guess is IPv6 use will cross-over with IPv4 in about five years, and then there will be a long, long tail of say another ten years, over which time dual stack routers will be switched to IPv6 only.
NetworkAdmin

Postby Gidget on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:00 am

Hi NetworkAdmin

By default, almost all OS's now install a dual stack.

Could you please elaborate on this? Would Windows XP do so, for example?

Thanks

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal
Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby NetworkAdmin on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:09 am

Gidget wrote:Hi NetworkAdmin

By default, almost all OS's now install a dual stack.

Could you please elaborate on this? Would Windows XP do so, for example?

Thanks

Gidget

XP and Vista has it built in, as does all Linux Distro's. I am pretty sure the Mac OS has it, since it is BSD based. I don't know about Windows versions earlier than XP. If anyone is still running one, have a look and see if there is an IPv6 option in the network settings.
NetworkAdmin

Postby Dazzled on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:54 am

Windows - since XP Advanced Networking Pack and SP2 (needs netsh enabling)
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby criten on Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:36 pm

When will www.exetel.com.au, sip1.exetel.com.au & smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au be IPv6 enabled?

Does this mean Exetel are providing IPv6 over PPP or DHCPv6 by default, now?

Does Exetel have an IPv6 looking glass?
criten

Postby Klaas on Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:23 pm

criten wrote:When will http://www.exetel.com.au, sip1.exetel.com.au & smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au be IPv6 enabled?

Does this mean Exetel are providing IPv6 over PPP or DHCPv6 by default, now?

Does Exetel have an IPv6 looking glass?

As per the first post in this thread:

NetworkAdmin wrote:Here is my 'starter' Q&A

[snip]

When can I change to IPv6?

Right now (Feb 2011) if you want. But the take up of IPv6 globally is only 0.2%, so there is very little you can access using only IPv6. Also, only one of our suppliers, and no tier 1 carrier in Australia will accept IPv6 addresses from us. So If you want to run IPv6 yourself, you will need to set up IPv4 tunnels to the other IPv6 sites or peering points you want to access.

[snip]

When will Exetel start running Dual Stack and accept IPv6 announcements from Customers?

We have been trialing IPv6 in a very limited, test-bed only, way for the last nine months. All our core routers are capable of running dual stack, and some planned upgrades to LNS router memory will allow then to run dual stack in the next three to six months. However, we have no plan to accept IPv6 in less than 6 months, and probably not in less than 12 months.

[snip]
Klaas

Postby luddite on Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:21 pm

What about offering v6 access via a locally terminated ipv6ip tunnel al la the ones we use from HE ?
I hate tromboneing my OZ v6 traffic to Freemont <g>
luddite

Postby criten on Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:43 pm

luddite wrote:What about offering v6 access via a locally terminated ipv6ip tunnel al la the ones we use from HE ?

http://broker.aarnet.net.au
criten

Postby luddite on Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:53 pm

criten wrote:
luddite wrote:What about offering v6 access via a locally terminated ipv6ip tunnel al la the ones we use from HE ?

http://broker.aarnet.net.au

Sadly, it's never worked reliably and has NO support from within aarnet ... I abandoned it a few years ago.
Worse still, it required a dogy application to keep the tunnel alive.

OTOH, the HE tunnel has been rock solid for years.
luddite

Postby VK on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:42 am

It would be nice to have a hardware and/or firmware compatibility list.
For example I have a Netcomm NB6Plus4W rev 1 router purchased from Exetel. It is currently at firmware 3.64y and does not support IPV6.
I found IPV6 firmware for NB6Plus4 and for NB6Plus4W rev 2 on the Internode server but no firmware for my rev 1 device. These fimrwares come with the cheery message "Please note, IPv6 firmware is experimental and unsupported."
The netcomm web site does not have any IPV6 firmware for that device either.
Any help would be appreciated.
VK

Postby Dazzled on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:11 am

There's not much home stuff around. Have you seen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... in_routers? I have heard of support from Fritz boxes, some Ciscos, Mikrotics, and Drayteks. Any modern Linux box can be configured as an IPv6 router, though as NetworkAdmin has said, it isn't useful.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby Affinity on Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:25 pm

Wikipedia is wrong on the Billion front.

There are firmwares for quite a bunch of models:
http://au.billion.com/forums/index.php? ... 64&hl=ipv6

EDIT: these are release candidates, the thread has more info on peoples experience.
Affinity

Postby NetworkAdmin on Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:15 pm

VK wrote:It would be nice to have a hardware and/or firmware compatibility list.

I will see what we can put together.

I am pretty sure that when IPv6 becomes really, really real - that is, when it is deemed something other than 'tick the box' by major carriers, all equipment manufacturers will start supporting it. Though my guess is also, that for lower priced equipment (under the $500 mark), it will mean a new unit rather than a firmware upgrade.
NetworkAdmin

Postby timeimp on Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:33 pm

Hi NetworkAdmin,
I am really excited for the whole IPv6 period that the internet is now going into. It's a shame that Australia appears to lag behind the rest of the world in this approach. Next Wednesday, June 8, is World IPv6 Day and it got me wondering: what is the current status of Exetel supporting IPv6 and is there a place where I can view 'progress' (if you will) of the implementation?

See more about the day here: http://www.worldipv6day.org/

-timeimp
timeimp

Next

Return to Other