FAQ

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)

Re: FAQ

Postby ozkidzez91 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:49 am

Can we please get an update on IPv6 availability? It's at the stage where Microsoft are recommending it for their new console, it's not just in the obscure background anymore. I'd like to convert as soon as it's available, preferably now. And if it's not available, a reason and hopefully a timeframe would be great.
ozkidzez91

Postby Affinity on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:03 am

I would bet that M$ want it for similar reasons to uPnP .... it helps open up your console more easily and quickly, potentially giving you a great big security hole. Learn to do port forwarding, disable uPnP immediately if you have it open. Many modem/routers also have uPnP available to the Internet, which it never should be..... problems with implementation and therefore many, many people being vulnerable to attack.
Affinity

Postby ozkidzez91 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:16 am

Affinity wrote:I would bet that M$ want it for similar reasons to uPnP .... it helps open up your console more easily and quickly, potentially giving you a great big security hole. Learn to do port forwarding, disable uPnP immediately if you have it open. Many modem/routers also have uPnP available to the Internet, which it never should be..... problems with implementation and therefore many, many people being vulnerable to attack.

Yep, some people are terrible at network administration, that's not my problem, and has nothing to do with whether or not it should be implemented. Not a very constructive comment. EDIT: Forgot to point out that writing M$ makes you look like a child. They're a big company from america that's publicly traded, so they will screw you for money when they can, just like every other one. Get over it.
ozkidzez91

Postby Affinity on Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:51 am

ozkidzez91 wrote:
Affinity wrote:I would bet that M$ want it for similar reasons to uPnP .... it helps open up your console more easily and quickly, potentially giving you a great big security hole. Learn to do port forwarding, disable uPnP immediately if you have it open. Many modem/routers also have uPnP available to the Internet, which it never should be..... problems with implementation and therefore many, many people being vulnerable to attack.

Yep, some people are terrible at network administration, that's not my problem, and has nothing to do with whether or not it should be implemented. Not a very constructive comment. EDIT: Forgot to point out that writing M$ makes you look like a child. They're a big company from america that's publicly traded, so they will screw you for money when they can, just like every other one. Get over it.
Hel$tra get the same treatment, both Microsoft and Telstra are very greedy companies .. they deserve being called out for that.

IPV6 is important for the future, but it certainly isn't critical at this time, much of the problem was mitigated by use of NAT technologies.
Affinity

Postby angelos on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:33 am

ozkidzez91 wrote:Can we please get an update on IPv6 availability? It's at the stage where Microsoft are recommending it for their new console, it's not just in the obscure background anymore. I'd like to convert as soon as it's available, preferably now. And if it's not available, a reason and hopefully a timeframe would be great.

We do not yet have this available for residential services. However we will get this checked and advise accordingly.
angelos
Exetel Staff

Postby ozkidzez91 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:36 pm

Thank you, please do your best to give a timeframe for it.
ozkidzez91

Postby ShaminG on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:47 am

ozkidzez91 wrote:Can we please get an update on IPv6 availability? It's at the stage where Microsoft are recommending it for their new console, it's not just in the obscure background anymore. I'd like to convert as soon as it's available

We will be in contact with you shortly to discuss how we can assist you on above.
ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Postby maestro on Thu May 08, 2014 2:31 pm

angelos wrote:We do not yet have this available for residential services. However we will get this checked and advise accordingly.

I, too, would like to gently prod for IPv6 support.

I have been running a 6in4 tunnel to HE for years and have completed their IPv6 certification. I have internet-facing HTTP(S), SMTP, DNS and other services over IPv6 through my HE tunnel over my Exetel connection.

I've been prompted to look again as my MRTG logs show that more than 97% of my traffic over the last 32 hours is IPv6 (389.9kbps over the Exetel link, 381.7kbps via the HE tunnel) so it's obviously being used (I suspect that the majority is youtube and the aarnet mirror) and there would be performance benefits to a local IPv6 connection.

An Exetel supplied 6in4 tunnel would be awesome, is there any chance of setting up a local tunnel endpoint for Exetel customers? Exetel support of IPv6 via PPPoE/PPPoA would be nice as well, but a local tunnel server would likely be a much simpler setup and allow us early adopters to jump on to a local IPv6 connection.

There seem to be a few people around this forum (such as myself) who have experience with HE's IPv6 tunnels who would be able to assist people trying to connect.

So, how about it??? Configure a few 6in4 tunnel endpoints on one of your existing routers (I'd be highly surprised if they didn't already support it), claim it as an "unsupported feature" where we can play with it but not waste your resources on support, and use the existing IPv6 users to provide support via this forum?
maestro

Postby KavindaS on Thu May 08, 2014 5:22 pm

maestro wrote:
angelos wrote:We do not yet have this available for residential services. However we will get this checked and advise accordingly.

I, too, would like to gently prod for IPv6 support.

I have been running a 6in4 tunnel to HE for years and have completed their IPv6 certification. I have internet-facing HTTP(S), SMTP, DNS and other services over IPv6 through my HE tunnel over my Exetel connection.

I've been prompted to look again as my MRTG logs show that more than 97% of my traffic over the last 32 hours is IPv6 (389.9kbps over the Exetel link, 381.7kbps via the HE tunnel) so it's obviously being used (I suspect that the majority is youtube and the aarnet mirror) and there would be performance benefits to a local IPv6 connection.

An Exetel supplied 6in4 tunnel would be awesome, is there any chance of setting up a local tunnel endpoint for Exetel customers? Exetel support of IPv6 via PPPoE/PPPoA would be nice as well, but a local tunnel server would likely be a much simpler setup and allow us early adopters to jump on to a local IPv6 connection.

There seem to be a few people around this forum (such as myself) who have experience with HE's IPv6 tunnels who would be able to assist people trying to connect.

So, how about it??? Configure a few 6in4 tunnel endpoints on one of your existing routers (I'd be highly surprised if they didn't already support it), claim it as an "unsupported feature" where we can play with it but not waste your resources on support, and use the existing IPv6 users to provide support via this forum?

It's been quite some time since Exetel started offering for it's customers.

For Residential customers, we provide 6 to 4 IPv6 Tunneling and for Corporate clients, we provide IPv6 through dual stacking.

If you have further inquiries, you can send an email to corporatesupport@exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au based on the type of service / plan you require.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby abeeson on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:20 pm

KavindaS wrote:For Residential customers, we provide 6 to 4 IPv6 Tunneling and for Corporate clients, we provide IPv6 through dual stacking.

If you have further inquiries, you can send an email to corporatesupport@exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au based on the type of service / plan you require.

That is absolutely new news to me, email sent to residential support :)

Any idea if / when native IPv6 dual stacks will be available to residential customers?
abeeson

Postby ShaminG on Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:10 pm

abeeson wrote:That is absolutely new news to me, email sent to residential support :)

Any idea if / when native IPv6 dual stacks will be available to residential customers?

Only option for residential services is 6 to 4 IPv6 Tunneling.
ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Postby abeeson on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:12 pm

ShaminG wrote:
abeeson wrote:That is absolutely new news to me, email sent to residential support :)

Only option for residential services is 6 to 4 IPv6 Tunneling.

Yep, i've applied already, its enough for me to be happy for now :)

Is there maybe a chance of a "register your interest" list for native IPv6? I'd like to get my name on something like that for future news / info...
abeeson

Postby stevecJ on Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:08 pm

abeeson wrote:
Yep, i've applied already, its enough for me to be happy for now :)

Is there maybe a chance of a "register your interest" list for native IPv6? I'd like to get my name on something like that for future news / info...

The only option is to register for the monthly news letters and unfortunately there is no waiting list for native IPv6 at the moment.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================
stevecJ
Forum Admin

Postby chaya02 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:43 pm

KavindaS wrote:It's been quite some time since Exetel started offering for it's customers.

For Residential customers, we provide 6 to 4 IPv6 Tunneling and for Corporate clients, we provide IPv6 through dual stacking.

KavindaS,

What is meant by corporate clients? Does corporate clients include business accounts using ADSL?
chaya02

Postby James on Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:47 pm

chaya02 wrote:
KavindaS wrote:It's been quite some time since Exetel started offering for it's customers.

KavindaS,

What is meant by corporate clients? Does corporate clients include business accounts using ADSL?

Rough rule of thumb our corporate clients pay >$200.00 a month for a data service.
James
Exetel Staff

Previous

Return to Other