Optus Foxtel and ADSL co-exist?

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
uratul

Optus Foxtel and ADSL co-exist?

Post by uratul » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Hi All.

I would like to apply for a new ADSL2 service for my mother in law. I had tried to do this before, however during that process we discovered that her Optus Foxtel bundle routes her calls over an optic network (HFC?) - and hence we don't have an active copper telephone connection.

Now with Exetel's ability to provision new telephone lines I was wondering if it would be possible to install a second line at the premises?

Specifically, she has her Optus phone number which must stay the same and would continue to run on the Optus optic line like normal; she get's her discounts for bundling etc. For the new Exetel ADSL service we'd like a second "line" with any new number (using the existing copper if possible or new copper) to be installed.

Is this arrangement possible?
If so do we need to lay new copper and are there any additional costs with that?
By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

rukshani
Exetel Staff

Re: Optus Foxtel and ADSL co-exist?

Post by rukshani » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:43 pm

uratul wrote:Hi All.

I would like to apply for a new ADSL2 service for my mother in law. I had tried to do this before, however during that process we discovered that her Optus Foxtel bundle routes her calls over an optic network (HFC?) - and hence we don't have an active copper telephone connection.

Now with Exetel's ability to provision new telephone lines I was wondering if it would be possible to install a second line at the premises?

Specifically, she has her Optus phone number which must stay the same and would continue to run on the Optus optic line like normal; she get's her discounts for bundling etc. For the new Exetel ADSL service we'd like a second "line" with any new number (using the existing copper if possible or new copper) to be installed.

If so do we need to lay new copper and are there any additional costs with that?
An Exetel sales representative will soon advise you over it.

EromalR
Exetel Staff

Post by EromalR » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:50 pm

uratul wrote:Hi All.

Kindly note that Exetel can not activate an ADSL service under Optus infrastructure if there is no vacant copper to the address. The plans provided under Optus network are listed here http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_new.php

If you do not have vacant copper, you have to apply to lay copper and this can only be done via the Telstra infrastructure plans that we offer. The plans are listed here http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_new.php

The cost to activate/lay copper and phone line would be either $59, $125 or $299 which depends on whetehr copper is available and a visit by a technician.

uratul

Post by uratul » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:18 pm

Thanks rukshani and EromalR.

Is there some way to determine if we have vacant copper?

Perhaps I'll have the in law check out what the phone plugs into. If it's plugged directly into the foxtel box and not into the wall sockets then can I assume she has vacant copper?

I know she had a normal telephone before she moved to optus vision/foxtel.
By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

EromalR
Exetel Staff

Post by EromalR » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:40 pm

uratul wrote:Thanks rukshani and EromalR.

Is there some way to determine if we have vacant copper?

Perhaps I'll have the in law check out what the phone plugs into. If it's plugged directly into the foxtel box and not into the wall sockets then can I assume she has vacant copper?

I know she had a normal telephone before she moved to optus vision/foxtel.
We can not say by the scenario explained above whether you have copper laid to the house or not. You can ask your in-law and see whetehr she has ever had a copper telephone connected to the house. If this info is not possible to gather, you may first lodge an application for a plan listed here http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_new.php and if copper is available the PSTN activation charge apart from ADSL activation charge would be either $59 or $125 and if copper is not available it should be $299. You will be contacted via email before charging this amount and going ahead with your application. Through this you can find out whetehr copper is laid or not.