A & CNAME Records

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
compositor

A & CNAME Records

Post by compositor » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:32 pm

I have a Domain Registration with Exetel, however I am using a 3rd party DNS service, so what kind of records might I need if anyone knows please it would be helpful.

Thanks

reallysuperman

Re: A & CNAME Records

Post by reallysuperman » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:06 am

It depends on what you would like to do.

First up you would need to point the domain to your domain name server (3rd party IP addresses)

Then in that 3rd party you will have your A or CNAME records.

A records will point to an IP address. EG www to point to an IP address ***.***.***.***
CNAME records will point to a domain name. EG www to point to another site www.google.com

So it does depend on what you are wanting to do.

compositor

Post by compositor » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:24 pm

What I really would like to do is be able to have my registration at another registrar/provider who does not charge extra for domain hosting (or it is included in the price) and point the domain to a free web hosting somewhere on the internet (again at another provider) but still use exetels' web hosting (which has PHP etc that the free guys don't have) which is set up as a sub-domain specifically for FTP, is this possible does anyone know, ie can the exetel catalog handle such DNS requests, since I looked in my registrar and a DNS record for a sub-domain is no different to the parent.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:40 pm

compositor wrote:What I really would like to do is be able to have my registration at another registrar/provider who does not charge extra for domain hosting (or it is included in the price) and point the domain to a free web hosting somewhere on the internet (again at another provider) but still use exetels' web hosting (which has PHP etc that the free guys don't have) which is set up as a sub-domain specifically for FTP, is this possible does anyone know, ie can the exetel catalog handle such DNS requests, since I looked in my registrar and a DNS record for a sub-domain is no different to the parent.
Hi,

I don't know why you need to create 5 threads about the same thing, it just creates confusion.

You have never seem to be happy with our products, so please send me an email (james@exetel.com.au), and we will refund your hosting charges.

James

compositor

Post by compositor » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:40 pm

It should go without saying, it isn't the products but rather the service (facilities), but many telcos (such as a former monopoly operator) have been where exetel is right now, the only difference may be that they either listened to customers or were able to implement much needed facilities in a timely manner, so unless the question can be answered here and now it will only reinforce my view plus add to that a poor customer service paradigm or weren't my threads being read instead of being skipped over otherwise I'd not have had to have sent so many emails which gets back to my original point about the helpdesk or lack thereof for web hosting customers but as I was informed I am to wait for a response to a thread or is it only lip service?

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:23 pm

compositor wrote:It should go without saying, it isn't the products but rather the service (facilities), but many telcos (such as a former monopoly operator) have been where exetel is right now, the only difference may be that they either listened to customers or were able to implement much needed facilities in a timely manner, so unless the question can be answered here and now it will only reinforce my view plus add to that a poor customer service paradigm or weren't my threads being read instead of being skipped over otherwise I'd not have had to have sent so many emails which gets back to my original point about the helpdesk or lack thereof for web hosting customers but as I was informed I am to wait for a response to a thread or is it only lip service?
If you email hosting@exetel.com.au they will get back to you quickly, but it still comes across from the numerous threads you have written that you are not happy with the services on offer.