Help needed following Telstra stuff-up.

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
gstark

Help needed following Telstra stuff-up.

Post by gstark » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:48 pm

And when I say stuff-up, I mean a really bug stuff-up!

I live in an apartment block. On Monday, a resident in another apartment had Telstra or TPG come out and fiz up their lines.

And whoever the tech was that came out, decided to totally disconnect my service.

They disconnected my service at the MDF - totally disconnected the pair coming into my apartment at the MDF.

And they then took, it seems, my line, and used it elsewhere. The line that is tagged for my apartment no longer works. It has been disconnected, somewhere, upstream from the MDF.

I am not a happy person right now; I have health issues that dictate that I should have ready access to a working phone service, but my service has not been operational since Monday.

Exetel's support people have been very good so far, and they are to be commended for their help, but this is a very serious issue that extends well beyond the boundaries of Exetel's realm, and somebody in the supplier stream needs to have their backsides severely kicked.

And more importantly, somebody - again in the supplier stream - needs to get their act into gear, and have this problem sorted urgently.

I've just sent you an email with photographic evidence of the screw-ups - your issue # is 5651154 - and I would greatly appreciate it somebody could do something to try to get the problems resolved post-haste. I'm already out of pocket a significant number of dollars, but because the actual problem is upstream, and in the provider's realm, nothing has been resolved.

As I said, I am not at all happy with the incompetence that has been displayed here by the providers in the field.

So ... help, please, if you can.

:)

gstark

Re: Help needed following Telstra stuff-up.

Post by gstark » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:15 pm

The plot sickens ....

The sparkie that we had out there reconnected my line to the line that was tagged as being for my apartment, but there is no dial tone on the service.

However, I've just been informed that we appear to have an internet connection: the DSL and connection lights are now illuminated on the modem.

This is very intriguing. The other unit was being set up, so I'm told, for a naked TPG connection.

My modem is, of course, configured for my Exetel connection, and thus should fail any authentication attempts to any other DSL connection. But yet it appears to be connected, and therefore connected to Exetel.

Which leads to the question: who has stolen my dial tone?

Or have I been connected to a naked TPG connection, and somehow their authentication system isn't working ?

Colour me confused as well as frustrated and angry. I'll know more in a couple of hours when I get back home.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:25 pm

ADSL can work in a manner (though a poor one) with only one conductor of the pair connected to the exchange. Dial tone requires both conductors intact.

udara
Exetel Staff

Post by udara » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:37 pm

gstark wrote:The plot sickens ....

Colour me confused as well as frustrated and angry. I'll know more in a couple of hours when I get back home.
I will be following this up with our wholesale providers , however would you be able to PM me and let me know a time that you will be at home so that i can contact you :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

gstark

Post by gstark » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:42 pm

udara wrote:
gstark wrote:The plot sickens ....

I will be following this up with our wholesale providers , however would you be able to PM me and let me know a time that you will be at home so that i can contact you :)
Ok, thank you.

I'm home now and for the rest of the evening, but will PM you a landline number that will work here, given that the standard line is not functional, and where I live, mobile calls are less than viable.

I can now report that I am connected via Exetel, which means that the basics are there, but I have no dial tone, no incoming phone service on the Exetel line.

Downstream speed is being reported by the model as 12570 while upstream is 721. I think that's a little slower than it normally is, but sounds about right.

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:19 am

gstark wrote: Ok, thank you.

I'm home now and for the rest of the evening, but will PM you a landline number that will work here, given that the standard line is not functional, and where I live, mobile calls are less than viable.

I can now report that I am connected via Exetel, which means that the basics are there, but I have no dial tone, no incoming phone service on the Exetel line.

Downstream speed is being reported by the model as 12570 while upstream is 721. I think that's a little slower than it normally is, but sounds about right.
Hi ,

Our supplier confirms that the issue has been resolved now. Therefore could you please check and confirm.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

gstark

Post by gstark » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:40 am

Hi Steve, and thanks.

Yes, the service has now been fully restored, so that art of the task is now complete.

However, because a Telstra tech had physically disconnected my line at the MDF, we need to take action against Telstra. The disconnection may (or may not) have been accidental; at best it was gross incompetence, at worst, it could be seen as a malicious act, but it needed me to bring a sparky in to test the line from my apartment to the MDF, which is how this gross stuff-up was located.

That (bringing in a sparky) cost me quite a bit of money, and we need to hold Telstra accountable for this screw-up, and they need to compensate me fully for the costs involved. I've already emailed you a copy of the invoice and receipt; how do we now follow up on this?

Thanks in advance for your further assistance.

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:58 am

gstark wrote:Hi Steve, and thanks.

Yes, the service has now been fully restored, so that art of the task is now complete.

However, because a Telstra tech had physically disconnected my line at the MDF, we need to take action against Telstra. The disconnection may (or may not) have been accidental; at best it was gross incompetence, at worst, it could be seen as a malicious act, but it needed me to bring a sparky in to test the line from my apartment to the MDF, which is how this gross stuff-up was located.

That (bringing in a sparky) cost me quite a bit of money, and we need to hold Telstra accountable for this screw-up, and they need to compensate me fully for the costs involved. I've already emailed you a copy of the invoice and receipt; how do we now follow up on this?

Thanks in advance for your further assistance.
Hi Gary,

We'll look in to your email and send you a reply soon.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

gstark

Post by gstark » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:12 am

Cheers.

I appreciate the help.