Group policy client error W7 startup

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
Trombone

Group policy client error W7 startup

Post by Trombone » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:46 am

Has anyone a fix for the error message which appears after Windows 7 starts
that states "Windows cannot connect to the group policy client service etc".
I am anxious to correct this malfunction and thank in advance for any assistance.
Regards Trombone
Regards Bone

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Group policy client error W7 startup

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:52 am

I haven't experienced it, and I'm purely basing some analysis off of Google research, but some things that might help to know:
  • Was the system working fine, and then this error message just started appearing, or has it always appeared? If it just appeared, is there a System Restore point you can restore to?
  • Is this computer on an Active Directory network (i.e. corporate network) or is it a standalone machine?
  • Is the Group policy client error restricted to one particular user profile? Have you tried creating a new (temporary) profile to see if the issue recurs?
  • Have you tried a hard drive scan for bad sectors? You can do this by running an elevated Command Prompt (right click on Command Prompt > Run As Administrator) and running the command "SFC /SCANNOW"
I see a variety of possible solutions to this error (such as your system logging you on with a temporary profile because it can't locate the roaming one, or a Winsock error, or corrupt hard drive sectors) but some basic diagnosis / troubleshooting from the above bullet points may help narrow down the issue
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au