DNS updates

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
TheLateJC

DNS updates

Post by TheLateJC » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:05 pm

Hi,

The wider world have already recognised an IP addy change to a domain I made a few hours ago, but Exetel's nameservers are not yet reflecting the change.

Not knowing much about this kind of thing, it would be interesting to understand how updates flow to the Exetel nameservers, and how long is too long for an update to be processed.

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Re: DNS updates

Post by ShaminG » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:19 pm

Could you kindly PM me the domain name so we can have a look into this.

creativechaos

Post by creativechaos » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:45 pm

I realise this is an old post, however we constantly have this same issue.

We have a website that had an IP change which has been updated across all DNS servers as indicated by https://www.whatsmydns.net/ but Exetel's DNS has not updated.

The TTL for the domain was set to 3600 and the change was done nearly 20 hours ago. Every other DNS server seems to have updated within the 60 minutes as indicated by the TTL but Exetel's is always far slower than this and we can end up waiting a number of days before we can access the site on its new server.

Can you please let me know why Exetel's DNS seems to ignore TTL settings and takes so long to update?

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:01 pm

creativechaos wrote:I realise this is an old post, however we constantly have this same issue.

We have a website that had an IP change which has been updated across all DNS servers as indicated by https://www.whatsmydns.net/ but Exetel's DNS has not updated.

The TTL for the domain was set to 3600 and the change was done nearly 20 hours ago. Every other DNS server seems to have updated within the 60 minutes as indicated by the TTL but Exetel's is always far slower than this and we can end up waiting a number of days before we can access the site on its new server.

Can you please let me know why Exetel's DNS seems to ignore TTL settings and takes so long to update?
Could you please PM me the details so I can have a look into this.

creativechaos

Post by creativechaos » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:12 pm

The DNS for the site in question has now updated... so not much point PM'ing you about it, and I posted here on the forum hoping that it might be made public as to why Exetel's DNS servers are slow to update.

It is a regular occurrence that after a DNS change (eg point domain name to new server) the Exetel DNS servers are very slow to update. Other DNS servers around the globe update almost instantly or at least in accordance with the TTL that has been set, however Exetel's DNS is always slow to update.

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:43 pm

creativechaos wrote:The DNS for the site in question has now updated... so not much point PM'ing you about it, and I posted here on the forum hoping that it might be made public as to why Exetel's DNS servers are slow to update.

It is a regular occurrence that after a DNS change (eg point domain name to new server) the Exetel DNS servers are very slow to update. Other DNS servers around the globe update almost instantly or at least in accordance with the TTL that has been set, however Exetel's DNS is always slow to update.
If you could provide us an example, we will be able to look into the situation better. As the issue is resolved at the moment, please let us know if this happens again.