unable to remove file

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)

unable to remove file

Postby Ronjaq on Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi All
I tried a program called Smart Popup Blocker which I thought was a freeware program, however after 15 days the owners/producers indicated that to run the program any more would require a payment of "X"" dollars. I declined and then tried to remove the program thru the control panel removal tool. At the end
of the removal it indicated that all files could not be removed. The one in question is a taskbar .exe file . I have tried all I know but to no avail. It keeps telling me that the file is in use and cannot be removed. Is there any way that I can force its removal please. Its just damn annoying. Looking forward to some good
advise please
Kind regards to all
Ronjaq
Ronjaq

Re: unable to remove file

Postby Dazzled on Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:38 pm

I've never used it, but I imagine it is kicked off at startup, so you might look at the startup menu and make sure the app isn't started and run at boot, then delete the file.

After that use the registry editor to find any more detritus.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby Ronjaq on Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:27 pm

Many thanks Dazzle (I hope I got that right) Disabled it in Start-up rebooted and you beauty deleted it to the recycle bin without any problem. Many thanks mate for your help.
RonJaq
Ronjaq

Postby Ronjaq on Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi Dazzled
I have another request for help re the above. I have found a couple of references to Smart Popup Blocker in the Control Panel-Notifications Area Icons.
The two entries in that section are- SmartPopupBlockerTray.exe and SmartKillPopup.exe. Is there any way that I can remove them from that section.
Please remember I am not all that savvy on computer management. By the way where do I find "registry Editor". I'm running Windows 7.
Thanks in anticipation
Ronjaq
Ronjaq

Postby Dazzled on Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:40 pm

Well I still haven't used it, and after Googling the bother people are having getting rid of it, I won't be having anything to do with it. You probably should have used the uninstall program provided, but it's too late now.

My preferred Windows browser is Opera v12, which kills popups by itself. Firefox can be trivially added to to do the same. Both have excellent ad detection. I'd use one of them.

Anyway, presuming there is no infection you now need a registry clean. The Windows registry editor presupposes you know what you are doing (see below). There is a handy freeware program that used to be called Crap Cleaner, but is now using the polite name of CCleaner, which can list, and optionally remove, dead and obsolete registry data. There are free and trial editions of the polite version.

You are looking in the array of junk it will find for SmartPopupBlocker or any of its components.

CCleaner will also give the registry address for what it finds, which helps if you do use the Windows editor. See http://www.itechtalk.com/thread1440.html for more.

The registry is Windows' weak link as anyone (both desired software installs and unwanted malware) can interfere with it. it isn't easy to fix though. Personally I always put non-tech folk onto one of the free general purpose Linux distros like Mint or Ubuntu, which have no registry, a highly protected system area, and largely maintain themselves. Apple market their pricey machines to non-techs as well using the highly protected Linux-like environment as a sales pitch.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Return to Other