Available plans must include phone rental? And cost more

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)

Available plans must include phone rental? And cost more

Postby Franpa on Thu May 22, 2014 9:27 pm

Can't make a thread here: viewforum.php?f=4 and can't find anywhere else suitable for discussing this so...

https://www.exetel.com.au/myexetel/serv ... _details/#
http://www.exetel.com.au/broadband/adsl

1) The former website only states plans that include phone line rental and there are no plans that exclude it, why? Is the included phone line rental for actual phones, or VoiP?
2) The latter website states a 500GB ADSL2+ plan costs $29.95 yet in my My Exetel it states the plan is $39.95 (When excluding the $20 for phone line rental), why? In both situations I'll be using Exetel infrastructure for the internet, as well as the phone. Unless switching to the new plan doesn't switch me to the Exetel phone line. (The website doesn't really clarify who is providing the phone line on the Change Plan page [unless said info is buried deep in the fine print])
3) Are these plans actually available to me in my area? If I apply for one and it isn't accepted, I'll remain on my existing plan and remain out of contract, correct? (I know I've asked this several times before on the forum but I do like the reassurance and have forgotten the previous answers)
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 3.6GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1500MHZ RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem
Franpa

Re: Available plans must include phone rental? And cost more

Postby Bellag on Thu May 22, 2014 11:03 pm

On the former website, if your number or address qualify for one of the Exetel plans provided via the Optus infrastrucutre, then you will require to bundle the telephone line. The telephone line should be a standard PSTN service and not a VoIP number. However, if your number qualifies for an Exetel plan provided via a Telstra infrastructure then you will be given the option of either keeping the line rental with your existing provider or choose to bring it over to Exetel.

The 500 GB plan for $29.95 is what is displayed on the website by default. We require you to perform step 1 (as mentioned on the website), where you need to run a service check to see what plans are applicable for you. If you run a check on your telephone number you will see that the website displays the same plans that are given on your members facility -> plan change tab. If you are an existing customer, you need to apply for a plan change via the members area. The members area will display the plans that are serviceable in your area.
Bellag
Exetel Staff

Postby Franpa on Fri May 23, 2014 1:56 am

Okay so I did a service check and it reports this. When looking at the plans for a new customer living at my address (after performing the check) it says the 500GB plan is $39.99 even when using Exetel for the phone service instead of our existing Telstra provider.

When viewing plans on the main website without first doing a service check, the prices for all plans are $10 cheaper when using Exetel for the phone service.

Why the $10 discrepancy for my area? Do new customers get a $10 cheaper plan and existing customers simply pay more? If this is so, the website should be updated to make it clearer.
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 3.6GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1500MHZ RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem
Franpa

Postby nicoler on Fri May 23, 2014 11:30 am

Okay so I did a service check and it reports this. When looking at the plans for a new customer living at my address (after performing the check) it says the 500GB plan is $39.99 even when using Exetel for the phone service instead of our existing Telstra provider.

When viewing plans on the main website without first doing a service check, the prices for all plans are $10 cheaper when using Exetel for the phone service.

Why the $10 discrepancy for my area? Do new customers get a $10 cheaper plan and existing customers simply pay more? If this is so, the website should be updated to make it clearer.

Exetel provide service using both Optus and Telstra infrastructure. The plan price will depend on the infrastructure that is available to your location. The 500GB plan under the Optus infrastructure is $29.99 + phone line rental $20 ( Bundle plans only). However, the 500Gb plan under the Telstra infrastructure for the Metro area is $39.99 and the phone line rental is $20. If the area you are in is a regional area under Telstra infrastructure the 500GB plan is $49.99 + $20 phone line rental. The plan pricing is the same to all customers regardless whether the customer is an existing customer or a new customer.
nicoler
Exetel Staff

Postby Franpa on Fri May 23, 2014 4:30 pm

Well neither Step 1, Step 2, Step 3, Step 4 or the fine print visible in the 2 collapsible menus at the bottom, mention the service provider that the plans will use nor do they seem to mention that there is a cost difference depending on infrastructure used. The "Critical Information Summary PDF" mentions Telstra precisely once and doesn't mention any of the other providers or price differences between providers, it doesn't mention that Telstra is the supplier of the shown plans either (It assumes the customer knows already).

Basically this key piece of information is buried on a different page/in a downloadable file instead of made obvious to the customer. In the My Exetel Change Plan area I don't believe it mentions the current provider or the provider of the proposed plans, not even in the fine print (PDF search doesn't seem to work so I had to peruse the PDF's myself).

So with the main website it leads to confusion where customer sees one price, than after Step 1 sees another, dearer price with no visible explanation as to why the price suddenly increased. With the My Exetel Change Plan portion of the website you're working under the assumption the customer knows who is providing the infrastructure while not making it clear why their being charged more than other customers.

It's just... I dunno, both sections of the website are lacking information that results in it doing a bad job at conveying that Exetel offer multiple services with different prices and that only some services may be available in the customers area. It's trying a little too hard to simplify things, causing confusion in the process for anyone doing any kind of research before making a choice.

Nothing made it obvious to me whether or not I had access to Telstra, Optus or whatever infrastructure provider Exetel uses and nothing explains the price differences after completing Step 1. All I know is that I have "plans" available at price A) and I then suddenly have the same "plans" available at price B) after completing Step 1 for... seemingly arbitrary reasons and attempts to find out why is a fruitless endeavor.

Sorry for the long rant :/
Franpa

Postby ymo on Fri May 23, 2014 6:15 pm

> In the My Exetel Change Plan area I don't believe it mentions the current provider or the provider of the proposed plans, not even in the fine print (PDF search doesn't seem to work so I had to peruse the PDF's myself).

Yes it does...

https://www.exetel.com.au/myexetel/serv ... ices_usage

Network provider:
Optus Wholesale *

* The listed Network Provider is Exetel's Wholesale Supplier only. All queries regarding your broadband service should be directed to Exetel Pty Ltd.

Is what it appear for me. I had no problems finding it.
ymo

Postby Franpa on Fri May 23, 2014 10:54 pm

Ah okay, so it does state the current provider here: https://www.exetel.com.au/myexetel/serv ... one_number

It would still be good to show which provider the listed plans when changing plans, is using.
Franpa

Postby CoreyPlover on Mon May 26, 2014 11:31 am

Franpa wrote:It would still be good to show which provider the listed plans when changing plans, is using.

I don't think that any ISPs provide that. They all use terms like "bundled phone" (meaning their carrier of choice and a price discount) or "unbundled phone" (meaning you keep your current carrier and pay for ADSL only). This has fast become the industry "standard", though I agree with you that it is far from ideal.

Franpa wrote:Do new customers get a $10 cheaper plan and existing customers simply pay more?

I haven't worked through all the discrepancies that you have pointed out, but issues like this have been touched on (on threads like viewtopic.php?f=288&t=40795).

Basically, Exetel have been unable to negotiate pricing for existing contracts that are on par with "new" contracts. This leads to a lot of unfortunate pricing differentials.

Exetel essentially pass the blame on to Optus for this pricing differential, and this is somewhat warranted. But Exetel need to participate in the negative feedback from existing customers, and not keep shifting the blame to "external circumstances" because they have made a conscious decision to effect such pricing. Also, as you have pointed out: Exetel do not clearly announce the providers of their plans. They used to do this, with their AAPT / Optus / Telstra based plans, each with their own pricing but nowadays they prefer to remain deliberately ambiguous, and only show targeted pricing. Therefore, it seems a little hypocritical for them to say "it is not our fault that prices are calibrated the way they are" while simultaneously masking the underlying carrier and situation deliberately for marketing purposes and new customer growth.

I have experienced this exact same pricing discrimination when applying for insurance quotes. When you input an address, if that address is an existing customer of the insurer, you get a high quote. If not, of if you use a neighbour's address, you get a low quote. When questioned, they try to dismiss this as being a "risk rating that is specific to your address" with is absolute bollocks; it is a new vs existing pricing discrimination and it has become rampant in most service industries. The only logical conclusion to this anomalous pricing structure is that customers will switch providers more regularly, and the company profits will diminish. Customer loyalty is, unfortunately, dead.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Return to Other