FTTN transition questions

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)

FTTN transition questions

Postby doggy on Sat May 14, 2016 3:40 pm

Hello,

I will be transitioning from ADSL2+ to NBN FTTN (VDSL2) later this year and have some questions which may also be relevant to increasing numbers of other people given the number of new FTTN connections this year.

I have been on ADSL2+ with telephone line/service as packaged by Exetel. I also have other "stuff" such as mobile broadband. I will go to either the 25/5 or 100/40 plan with 100GB:

1. When I switch to VDSL2 (with new modem of course), will my existing copper PSTN line continue to work with the same phone number for the approx 12-18months until copper disconnection? Or will I lose PSTN access immediately the cut-over happens? If PSTN access remains, how will the costing work?

2. Will the new NBN account be managed under my existing MyExetel account facilities?

3. Not really a question, but I understand I can keep my existing IP address which I have had for many years (providing I request same).

4. Our node is just going in and I have worked out my pair distance to the node at 645metres which in theory with vectored VDSL2 could give 68Mbps. I realise that during the ADSL/POTS coexistence period, noise and crosstalk will reduce this figure. Also, crappy Telstra wiring could affect things. So, what are the Exetel options and costs for plan speed changes? For instance, if I start with 25/5 and the attenuation and SNR suggest that going to 100/40 is worthwhile (albeit perhaps syncing at something like 50/xx), can I do that change and at what cost (other than the plan increment)? Or, what if I start with 100/40 and find (for example) I can only get 30/xx sync, what will be the process to drop down to 25/5?

Best Regards,
Dave
doggy

Re: FTTN transition questions

Postby Kumudh on Sat May 14, 2016 6:02 pm

doggy wrote:Hello,

I will be transitioning from ADSL2+ to NBN FTTN (VDSL2) later this year and have some questions which may also be relevant to increasing numbers of other people given the number of new FTTN connections this year.

I have been on ADSL2+ with telephone line/service as packaged by Exetel. I also have other "stuff" such as mobile broadband. I will go to either the 25/5 or 100/40 plan with 100GB:

1. When I switch to VDSL2 (with new modem of course), will my existing copper PSTN line continue to work with the same phone number for the approx 12-18months until copper disconnection? Or will I lose PSTN access immediately the cut-over happens? If PSTN access remains, how will the costing work?

2. Will the new NBN account be managed under my existing MyExetel account facilities?

3. Not really a question, but I understand I can keep my existing IP address which I have had for many years (providing I request same).

4. Our node is just going in and I have worked out my pair distance to the node at 645metres which in theory with vectored VDSL2 could give 68Mbps. I realise that during the ADSL/POTS coexistence period, noise and crosstalk will reduce this figure. Also, crappy Telstra wiring could affect things. So, what are the Exetel options and costs for plan speed changes? For instance, if I start with 25/5 and the attenuation and SNR suggest that going to 100/40 is worthwhile (albeit perhaps syncing at something like 50/xx), can I do that change and at what cost (other than the plan increment)? Or, what if I start with 100/40 and find (for example) I can only get 30/xx sync, what will be the process to drop down to 25/5?

Best Regards,
Dave

Hi David,

Please find the answers to your questions below.

1. Best option would be to port your number as a VoIP as on most occasion the PSTN line is discontinued. If you want further details with regards to this please call (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 393 835 & choose option 1.

2. Yes, provided that you sign up using your same customer number.

3. Yes, provided it is requested when signing up for FttN/FttB.

4. Change to a plan of equal or greater monthly cost: $O on a new 12 month contract or $19.99 with no re-contract.
Change to a plan of lesser monthly cost: $29.99 on a new 12 month contract or $39.99 with no re-contract.
Kumudh
Forum Admin

Re: FTTN transition questions

Postby doggy on Sat May 14, 2016 7:02 pm

Hi,
Many thanks for that prompt response.
Best Regards,
Dave
doggy

Return to Other