More FTTN Transition Questions

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)
ScoopD

More FTTN Transition Questions

Post by ScoopD » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:53 pm

Hi all
So I've got my little postcard in the mail from NBN Co telling me I can get NBN now. I've also got plenty of junk mail from the usual suspects about signing up for NBN with them. As an Exetel customer of more than 5 years, I have not seen anything yet from my ISP. Also when I go into My Exetel I cannot see any way to request NBN, but on the home page when I put in my address it confirms I can get NBN. What's going on with that?

Monitored Alarm:
I have a back-to-base monitored alarm and I called my provider about transitioning to NBN - they won't do it. Instead they install a mobile module (at a charge of about $250 including installation) and increase your monitoring fee (about $5/month) to cover the cost of a mobile plan. Oh well. Experience for others in the same position.

Transition outage:
My wife and I work from home regularly – at least one of us is at home every day which requires the use of land line and internet. I have read some horror stories of people wanting to transition their home number (which we want to do) and having no phone or internet service for two weeks while that transition happens. Given I have both PSTN land line and ADSL provided by Exetel I would hope that the left hand would talk to the right hand and there might be a day when all the ducks are lined up and there would be a service interruption while stuff was transitioned over? Everything Exetel to everything Exetel should be able to be handled efficiently? I would completely understand a couple of week period from request to completion as long as the outage was communicated and in the “Hours” timeframe rather than days or weeks.

Modem:
I currently have a Billion 7800N modem which is VDSL compatible via an RJ45 socket rather than the ADSL RJ11 socket making it Dual WAN. I've read that this model doesn't deal with the high speeds and maxes out its connection at about 50Mbps. I want to sign up for 100/40 so I had a look on the Exetel home page for modems. I found the note in the FAQ
we STRONGLY advise purchasing our recommended VDSL2 modem routers as these have been certified to work and are registered with NBN
but there is no information about these modems – Are they only recommended or can they be supplied? Which models are they? How much are they? Can I purchase two so I have a hot-swap in case of failure?

VOIP:
If the modem chosen has VOIP capabilities (highly likely) I would like to route all my existing phones through this. Currently my ADSL modem is plugged into a socket that is isolated while the rest of the outlets are in-line centrally filtered (magic in the ceiling cavity). I would like to enable all my phone outlets in the house by plugging in a single cable to the new modem. Any suggestions or experience from existing VOIP users? Will the ADSL filter need to be removed? Is there a limit to the number of points, number of phones or length of cable connected to a single VOIP outlet on a modem?

FTTN process:
There is a definite lack of detailed information about FTTN connections on the Exetel site. There is detailed information including a “Preparing for the NBN” PDF brochure which deals exclusively with the FTTP process (which almost none of us will get from the current NBN), but I can’t see anything about the FTTN migration that most of us will have to go through.

I work as a systems engineer in IT and deal with a lot of different aspects of network comms as part of my job. I have spoken with a lot of different people about this stuff, including people who work for NBN. Nobody seems to have any idea how this transition happens. Can someone from Exetel fill us in and organise some more information to be included on the Exetel site to help out others?

Amila Fernando
Forum Admin

Re: More FTTN Transition Questions

Post by Amila Fernando » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:33 pm

ScoopD wrote:Hi all
So I've got my little postcard in the mail from NBN Co telling me I can get NBN now. I've also got plenty of junk mail from the usual suspects about signing up for NBN with them. As an Exetel customer of more than 5 years, I have not seen anything yet from my ISP. Also when I go into My Exetel I cannot see any way to request NBN, but on the home page when I put in my address it confirms I can get NBN. What's going on with that?

FTTN process:
There is a definite lack of detailed information about FTTN connections on the Exetel site. There is detailed information including a “Preparing for the NBN” PDF brochure which deals exclusively with the FTTP process (which almost none of us will get from the current NBN), but I can’t see anything about the FTTN migration that most of us will have to go through.

I work as a systems engineer in IT and deal with a lot of different aspects of network comms as part of my job. I have spoken with a lot of different people about this stuff, including people who work for NBN. Nobody seems to have any idea how this transition happens. Can someone from Exetel fill us in and organise some more information to be included on the Exetel site to help out others?

We will check your service details and will get back to you shortly.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

nicoler
Exetel Staff

Post by nicoler » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:57 am

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. We will escalate your concerns and try to provide more information with regard to FTTN/B services. Initial checks indicate that FTTN fibre is currently available to the location.You may sign up for the plans via the members portal ( Once logged in click on “ Orders” and it will direct you to the order page) . We currently do not provide a phone option via a copper service, the phone service we provide with the FTTN service is VOIP. However if you wish to port your current number you may request a PSTN to VOIP service provided it is portable. The back to base alarm system will not work on a VOIP service therefore you may need to check alternative options with your provider.

In order to use the FTTN service you are required a VDSL modem which is certified by NBN if not the service will not work. Once the order is submitted it may take approximately between 20 to 25 business days to connect the service depending on tech availability and from the time the jumpering is done at the node till the correct modem is configured you will not be able to use the service. We will arrange a call from an agent to further discuss your concerns. Your reference number is 10428134.

Kind regards

Nicole

ScoopD

Post by ScoopD » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:35 pm

Update for anyone interested - I am now fully NBN activated with VOIP service.
I was quoted approximately 20-25 days for activation, but it was done in less than 10 days. I was quoted 3-5 days after activation for my land line to be ported to my VOIP service and it was done in 1 day.

Details of the transition - I was given an expected transition date with several days notice. On that day my ADSL and Phone dropped out. I plugged in my new already configured modem and the internet service was already on line. My Land Line came back on line and remained up for another day then went off line again. After this I was sent an email and a phone call telling me my Phone service was transitioned over to VOIP and the email had instructions on configuring the modem - Unfortunately the instructions were all wrong. They were for a different model of Modem and had incorrect details for connection to the Exetel VOIP service. A quick trip to these forums and I found the correct settings. Pretty poor that a PDF document sent to customers on how to configure your VOIP service had all the wrong details in it.

Anyway I am up and running now.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:31 pm

ScoopD wrote:Update for anyone interested - I am now fully NBN activated with VOIP service.
I was quoted approximately 20-25 days for activation, but it was done in less than 10 days. I was quoted 3-5 days after activation for my land line to be ported to my VOIP service and it was done in 1 day.

Details of the transition - I was given an expected transition date with several days notice. On that day my ADSL and Phone dropped out. I plugged in my new already configured modem and the internet service was already on line. My Land Line came back on line and remained up for another day then went off line again. After this I was sent an email and a phone call telling me my Phone service was transitioned over to VOIP and the email had instructions on configuring the modem - Unfortunately the instructions were all wrong. They were for a different model of Modem and had incorrect details for connection to the Exetel VOIP service. A quick trip to these forums and I found the correct settings. Pretty poor that a PDF document sent to customers on how to configure your VOIP service had all the wrong details in it.

Anyway I am up and running now.
Apologies for the inconvenience may have caused with this. Since it is a PDF, please forward that to the email address I have requested to you via the other thread https://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.p ... 38#p318338 . Glad to hear the service is working now :) .