Questions regarding transition to upcoming FTTN?

All other technical assistance queries (General technical issues, IPv6. P2P, News groups, etc)

Questions regarding transition to upcoming FTTN?

Postby Franpa on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:49 pm

Edit: A lot of the questions I asked are really dumb questions. Hindsight 20/20.

Apparently my area is being upgraded to Fiber To the Node infrastructure with the work to be completed sometime in March, I have a few questions regarding this (Edit: Better set of questions here https://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?p=320459#p320459):

1) Will I be granted access to non-Telstra infrastructure? Like can I sign up to an Exetel infrastructure provided service?
2) Will new plan choices appear in the My Exetel section and will I be notified of the availability of these new plan options?
3) Will there be a consumer cost to migrate to a new plan on different infrastructure?
4) How long would a migration take? Is it just a software change or a techie has to come out to the DSLAM/Node/RIM?
5) If I don't sign up for an NBN specific plan, will I remain on the old 100% copper infrastructure?
6) According to https://www.finder.com.au/nbn-tracker/rollout/4KLG-06 (3rd part website) Exetel isn't available here but when I do a service check on the Exetel website it says the NBN IS available to me. Is Exetel available to me and if yes, why did I get no advertising mentioning its availability and why isn't it a choice in Members Facilities?
7) My current home phone service is provided by Exetel, it is an all copper connection. If I migrate to another ISP will I retain access to this copper connection (handled by the new phone service provider, not Exetel) for the 18~ months leading up to the copper disconnection? I can not find information on how the copper phone line is handled when switching phone service provider.
Last edited by Franpa on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 3.6GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1500MHZ RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem
Franpa

Re: Questions regarding transition to upcoming FTTN?

Postby nicoler on Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:55 pm

Hi,

Please find the answers to your questions below :

1) Will I be granted access to non-Telstra infrastructure? Like can I sign up to an Exetel infrastructure provided service?

- For FTTN fibre is connected via NBN optus to your property. Unfortunately we do not have our own infrastructure

2) Will new plan choices appear in the My Exetel section and will I be notified of the availability of these new plan options?

- Currently the fiber service is available. We can arrange a call back to submit an order for the FTTN service. The new plans are not updated on the “My Exetel” portal

3) Will there be a consumer cost to migrate to a new plan on different infrastructure?

- If you migrate on a contract (12 month or 18 month contract) there will not be a cost involved. If you select a no lock in contract an activation fee of $99.99 will apply

4) How long would a migration take? Is it just a software change or a techie has to come out to the DSLAM/Node/RIM?

- Activation time would take between 20 to 25 business days and a technician appointment may be needed.

5) If I don't sign up for an NBN specific plan, will I remain on the old 100% copper infrastructure?

- NO, There will be a copper disconnection date given to you by NBN and you will need to migrate before the copper is disconnected.

6) According to https://www.finder.com.au/nbn-tracker/rollout/4KLG-06 (3rd part website) Exetel isn't available here but when I do a service check on the Exetel website it says the NBN IS available to me. Is Exetel available to me and if yes, why did I get no advertising mentioning its availability and why isn't it a choice in Members Facilities?

- According to your location, FTTN service is available. We generally notify our customers via an email when NBN is available, however the information will not be available in the Members area.

7) My current home phone service is provided by Exetel, it is an all copper connection. If I migrate to another ISP will I retain access to this copper connection (handled by the new phone service provider, not Exetel) for the 18~ months leading up to the copper disconnection? I can not find information on how the copper phone line is handled when switching phone service provider.

- When NBN is available you will still need to migrate to NBN with Exetel or with another provider. However if you still want to move to another provider on ADSL you will need to request to port the copper line number through them. Once the service is fully connected with them you will need to call us to cancel the service with us.

Kind Regards

Nicole
nicoler
Exetel Staff

Postby Franpa on Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:08 pm

nicoler wrote:3) Will there be a consumer cost to migrate to a new plan on different infrastructure?

- If you migrate on a contract (12 month or 18 month contract) there will not be a cost involved. If you select a no lock in contract an activation fee of $99.99 will apply
What if I am currently out of Telstra ADSL2+ contract?

nicoler wrote:5) If I don't sign up for an NBN specific plan, will I remain on the old 100% copper infrastructure?

- NO, There will be a copper disconnection date given to you by NBN and you will need to migrate before the copper is disconnected.
This copper disconnection will happen 18 months after FTTN has been constructed in the neighborhood right?

nicoler wrote:6) According to https://www.finder.com.au/nbn-tracker/rollout/4KLG-06 (3rd part website) Exetel isn't available here but when I do a service check on the Exetel website it says the NBN IS available to me. Is Exetel available to me and if yes, why did I get no advertising mentioning its availability and why isn't it a choice in Members Facilities?

- According to your location, FTTN service is available. We generally notify our customers via an email when NBN is available, however the information will not be available in the Members area.
I haven't received any emails, phone calls, physical letters or any advertising suggesting that the NBN is now available in my area. This was annoying as I was looking forward to this and would've asked these questions etc. earlier if I had known as soon as the service was available (I am aware that this lack of advertising isn't a fault with just Exetel/why did no other ISP's advertise the NBN to me?)!

nicoler wrote:7) My current home phone service is provided by Exetel, it is an all copper connection. If I migrate to another ISP will I retain access to this copper connection (handled by the new phone service provider, not Exetel) for the 18~ months leading up to the copper disconnection? I can not find information on how the copper phone line is handled when switching phone service provider.

- When NBN is available you will still need to migrate to NBN with Exetel or with another provider. However if you still want to move to another provider on ADSL you will need to request to port the copper line number through them. Once the service is fully connected with them you will need to call us to cancel the service with us.
What I had meant to ask is if my non-VOiP phone would continue to work for up to 18 months after the NBN had finished being installed in my neighborhood and if changing supplier while simultaneously changing infrastructure would negate my ability to retain a functional non-VOiP phone service.
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 3.6GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1500MHZ RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem
Franpa

Postby nicoler on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:02 pm

Hi

We will arrange a call back tomorrow to further discuss your migration from ADSL to NBN. Fiber is currently available to your location and we can submit an application immediately. If you’re not within contract this would not affect the migration. You have the option to port your number to a VOIP number, however when the technician's work is completed at the node the phone service will no longer work. Therefore if you wish to retain the number you will need to request to port the phone number to a VOIP service.

Kind Regards

Nicole
nicoler
Exetel Staff

Postby Franpa on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:31 pm

No need for a phone call, I prefer text communication because it is easy to reference what was said in the past if I ever wanted to review the discussion. Future discussion could be handled by email if you prefer. When I do decide what to get the NBN, do I just order it through your website at https://www.exetel.com.au/broadband/nbn or are there special plans for existing ADSL2 Exetel customers?

It seems I was mistaken about something, I was reading the 18 months until copper disconnection as though you could have BOTH a NBN and copper service simultaneously but I understand now that it is a case of either/or.

Will the NBN plans still include 20 or 30 email addresses and 200MB of web space? Can I plug a non-VOiP PSTN home phone in to the supplied modem?
Franpa

Postby KavindaS on Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:35 pm

Franpa wrote:No need for a phone call, I prefer text communication because it is easy to reference what was said in the past if I ever wanted to review the discussion. Future discussion could be handled by email if you prefer. When I do decide what to get the NBN, do I just order it through your website at https://www.exetel.com.au/broadband/nbn or are there special plans for existing ADSL2 Exetel customers?

It seems I was mistaken about something, I was reading the 18 months until copper disconnection as though you could have BOTH a NBN and copper service simultaneously but I understand now that it is a case of either/or.

Will the NBN plans still include 20 or 30 email addresses and 200MB of web space? Can I plug a non-VOiP PSTN home phone in to the supplied modem?

I have passed these queries and requested them to drop you an email in detail. You may reply to the same email and have the written references via the email ticket.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby Franpa on Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:44 pm

Thanks.
Franpa

Postby Franpa on Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:03 pm

-----
Last edited by Franpa on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franpa

Postby Franpa on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:23 pm

I've revised my original questions, the revised questions are provided in this post. Edit: I just got an email and have responded to it with the below questions.

1) Will new plan choices appear in the My Exetel section and will I be notified of the availability of these new plan options? 2) Since I am an existing Exetel ADSL2+ (Telstra) customer, do I have access to plans exclusive to existing Exetel customers?
4) Does the included Modem provide a FXS VOIP port so that I can connect our non-VOIP phone to the device and get it working?
5) What Exetel specific features will change when migrating from my existing Exetel provided Telstra ADSL2+ service to the NBN?
6) Will I retain 200MB of free web space and 30 email addresses? Will these things and their existing contents be retained during the migration? This stuff isn't mentioned in the Critical Information Summary or (in the case of web space) the list of NBN Plan features on the website.
7) how are problems with the NBN Internet service handled? Do I complain to Exetel if there are performance, stability or "inability to connect" issues and Exetel passes the complaints on to NBNCo on my behalf? Do I directly contact NBNCo? The Critical Information Summary only mentions contacting an Ombudsman if there is an issue...

If I don't sign up for an NBN specific plan, will I remain on the old 100% copper infrastructure? Answer: Yes. I can access copper related services for up to 18 months since the installation of the NBN was completed. After 18 months the copper infrastructure and RIM will be decommissioned. The 18 month thing confused me, I was originally working under the impression you could be on the NBN while retaining access to the old copper service purely for home phone purposes (included in the NBN plan) and this IS possible to do but you would be paying for 2 separate services if you did this (copper service isn't included in NBN plans).
Last edited by Franpa on Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franpa

Postby nicoler on Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi

We have sent an email to your nominated email address ( reference number 11394894) with regards to your concerns. If you have any further concerns kindly reply to the same email thread.

Kind Regards

Nicole
nicoler
Exetel Staff

Postby Franpa on Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:07 pm

Our home phone is supplied by Exetel (Telstra infrastructure) and when I try to sign up for the NBN I am given an option to port our existing phone number to the VOIP service. I can not choose Exetel as the Telephone Provider so I am selecting Telstra, as far as I know I don't have a Telstra account number/Exetel should already know the account number? Or does it mean the Account ID number at https://www.exetel.com.au/myexetel/cust ... er_account ?
Last edited by Franpa on Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franpa

Postby nicoler on Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:22 pm

HI

We have emailed the details to your nominated email address, with reference number (11394894).

Kind Regards

Nicole
nicoler
Exetel Staff

Postby Franpa on Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:25 pm

I missed it before, I now see it says "preferred phone number" on the left side of the confirmation screen.
Franpa

Postby nicoler on Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:32 pm

HI

Kindly revert once the fibre order is submitted, we will confirm whether the PSTN to VOIP request has been submitted successfully.

Kind Regards

Nicole
nicoler
Exetel Staff

Postby Franpa on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:21 pm

nicoler wrote:HI

Kindly revert once the fibre order is submitted, we will confirm whether the PSTN to VOIP request has been submitted successfully.

Kind Regards

Nicole
What do you mean? I've already submitted the order request. I think from this point on it is best to close this topic and do all future communication via email (phone if urgent) to avoid confusion. I have already arranged via email to be notified whether or not the PSTN > VOIP request was successful.
Franpa

Next

Return to Other