Charged STD for same SZU

Note: For official invoice and billing responses use billing@exetel.com.au
triggs

Charged STD for same SZU

Post by triggs » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Exetel has charged me STD rates for several calls to numbers also in the Sydney call collection area. The calls are to a new development in the same inner Sydney suburb of Paddinton, and probably use a new block of numbers. Both Billing and Sales refuse to check the actual location of the phone numbers.

I'm in the process of making a complaint to Exetel, and I should be able to resolve this; either with Exetel, or going to the TIO. I can even validate the numbers on a Telstra site as:
SZU: SYDNEY
Charging Zone: SYDNEY Number

I've been with Exetel since 2007 and have recommended them to others, but I'm concerned that someone with less telco knowledge would just get ripped off. Is there anyone left in Exetel in Australia that can change how things like this are handled in Colombo?

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: Charged STD for same SZU

Post by KavindaS » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:52 pm

triggs wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:03 pm
Exetel has charged me STD rates for several calls to numbers also in the Sydney call collection area. The calls are to a new development in the same inner Sydney suburb of Paddinton, and probably use a new block of numbers. Both Billing and Sales refuse to check the actual location of the phone numbers.

I'm in the process of making a complaint to Exetel, and I should be able to resolve this; either with Exetel, or going to the TIO. I can even validate the numbers on a Telstra site as:
SZU: SYDNEY
Charging Zone: SYDNEY Number

I've been with Exetel since 2007 and have recommended them to others, but I'm concerned that someone with less telco knowledge would just get ripped off. Is there anyone left in Exetel in Australia that can change how things like this are handled in Colombo?
I would like to apologise to you on behalf of Exetel for any inconvenience you may have experienced with relation to this matter. I have addressed this with our Billing department manager to investigate and response to you.

triggs

Post by triggs » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:24 pm

Exetel have agreed to refund the difference between the local and STD rate this month, but insist they are just passing on charges from Telstra, and will continue to charge at STD rates if we call these numbers. I have spoken to Telstra who indicate it is Exetel's responsibility to follow up with their supplier if there is any issue with charges provided.

I'm mostly concerned that Exetel is basically unwilling to investigate what is actually going on, especially as Telstra information indicates these numbers are in the Sydney local call area.

sankap
Exetel Staff

Post by sankap » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:55 am

triggs wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:24 pm
Exetel have agreed to refund the difference between the local and STD rate this month, but insist they are just passing on charges from Telstra, and will continue to charge at STD rates if we call these numbers. I have spoken to Telstra who indicate it is Exetel's responsibility to follow up with their supplier if there is any issue with charges provided.

I'm mostly concerned that Exetel is basically unwilling to investigate what is actually going on, especially as Telstra information indicates these numbers are in the Sydney local call area.
Hi David,
This issue is not necessarily about charges. Its basically about how calls are being categorized to local and STD/national.
This categorization is done by Telstra and details can be found at https://www.telstra.com.au/support/cate ... onal-calls

We'll request Telstra to review their own categorization on your behalf and will keep you updated via email once we here back from them.

Thanks.