Payment by cheque?

Note: For official invoice and billing responses use billing@exetel.com.au
DarkLotus

Payment by cheque?

Post by DarkLotus » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:48 pm

I have a relative who absolutely refuses to disclose his bank details or credit card details to anyone, but he wants dsl on for the grand kids.

I've been told some isps will accept cheques if you pay quarterly in advance etc, I'm wondering if that's the case with Exetel by any chance?

Sorry if this is answered already but the search feature searches for "check" when i search for "cheque" very strange.

Thanks
James

James
Exetel Staff

Re: Payment by cheque?

Post by James » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:54 pm

DarkLotus wrote:I have a relative who absolutely refuses to disclose his bank details or credit card details to anyone, but he wants dsl on for the grand kids.

I've been told some isps will accept cheques if you pay quarterly in advance etc, I'm wondering if that's the case with Exetel by any chance?

Sorry if this is answered already but the search feature searches for "check" when i search for "cheque" very strange.

Thanks
James
Hi James,

I'm sorry, but this is not possible for once off residential accounts.

JamesL

DarkLotus

Post by DarkLotus » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:01 pm

thanks, for the very prompt reply :)
I'll get back to trying to convince him direct debit is safe heh.

NetworkAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by NetworkAdmin » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:04 pm

That must make it very hard to use the credit card for anything at all. I mean, just how trustworthy is that shop assistant who's boyfriend just got out of jail and has asked her to sneak out the credit card imprints for that day?

How trustworthy is the person you send the cheque to who now has exactly the same information from the cheque that you would put on a direct debit form?

Banks go out of their way to make sure credit card transactions are safe. In almost all cases they will side the with consumer for any reported error, and even in the worst case of fraud the card holder is liable for either nothing or at most $50.

On the other hand, the vendor, or rather the directors, have to sign over personal guarantees for ALL electronic transactions. That means that if, for some bizarre reason, all our customers suddenly default on their payment, I, personally have to pay the bank that money.

Since Hammurabi businesses have only ever really worked on trust and reputation. If a companies reputation isn't sufficient to engender the trust for a designated payment method, then the only sensible course of action is not to do business with that company.

DarkLotus

Post by DarkLotus » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:14 pm

yeah I've tried explaining it like that. He has the old mentality that telling anyone your CC number will result in fraud, and that online banking is highly unsafe.

Yet he thinks he is 100% safe using it in shops, guess some people are just very set in their ways.

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:45 pm

Perhaps explain and even use actual news demonstrations of such activity happening.

Use the ATM, the log your card details and PIN, and create a clone card. Viola, instant dollars.

Credit cards are very safe, even in the hands of the modern idiot. And technology has only really amped up to favour security for the card holder.

If he feels unsafe about his credit card, no worries, go with direct debit. It's VERY safe. Anyone who takes money from the account has to have your authority to do so, and if they don't and can't prove they ever did, they must return all funds (and the bank in turn does this to the customer).

Add to that, the order process on Exetel's form is secured by the same standards that secure every other transaction, and we don't really see many cases of mass fraud involving raw BSB and account number details anyway - I haven't heard of any.

Alternatively, being a relative, you might be able to simply 'on charge' - if such an arrangement would work.

NetworkAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by NetworkAdmin » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:09 pm

DarkLotus wrote:yeah I've tried explaining it like that. He has the old mentality that telling anyone your CC number will result in fraud, and that online banking is highly unsafe.

Yet he thinks he is 100% safe using it in shops, guess some people are just very set in their ways.
Ah well, my parents don't even have a credit card. They pay for airline tickets with cash, much to the chagrin of their local travel agent.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:18 pm

Perhaps some sort of prepaid credit card would be useful. They are used in exactly the same way as a credit card, but disposable and/or rechargeable with maximum loss limited to the value of the recharge. Downside to these are usually all the hidden fees so it effectively equates to paying a premium for paranoia.

DarkLotus

Post by DarkLotus » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:37 pm

I hadn't even thought of a prepaid credit card that might be the perfect thing.
Thanks for all the suggestions :)