Still being billed by Telstra

Note: For official invoice and billing responses use billing@exetel.com.au
gavin

Still being billed by Telstra

Post by gavin » Mon May 26, 2008 7:56 pm

I moved from telstra ADSL2 and phone to Exetel ADSL2+ and phone earlier this month. I've now received another bill from Telstra. There's no charge for my phone line (in fact, there's a few cents credit), but there is another months charge for the ADSL service I no longer have. Telstra say they have no record of me cancelling the ADSL service, only my phone line has been cancelled (though how they think they're supplying me ADSL without a phone line, I'm not sure).

is there anything Exetel can do to get this sorted out for me?

Gavin

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Still being billed by Telstra

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon May 26, 2008 10:08 pm

Telstra are clearly in error here. A phone line can only have one set of ADSL codes in place. If you have switched over to Exetel, then clearly Telstra are aware (or can easily confirm) that there is no remaining service they are entitled to bill for. Unfortunately, you will have to deal directly with them and get them to correct their error and cancel / refund what they have mistakenly charged you.

gavin

Post by gavin » Tue May 27, 2008 12:17 pm

I did try telling them that...

I will try again.

gavin

Post by gavin » Tue May 27, 2008 6:27 pm

They've now reveiwed my file.

your ADSL service is not connected to a Telstra full service fixed phone. This means that unfortunately you are not eligible for BigPond's full service fixed phone plans^, so we've moved you to the equivalent non-full service fixed phone plan for your BigPond Broadband ADSL service.

So rather than cancelling my bill, they've increased it!

I have asked them to look at this again....

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue May 27, 2008 7:48 pm

:shock: Never underestimate the incompetence of Telstra.

I have no words of advice for you other than perseverance. That, and document the important aspects of every phone conversation you have. Make sure you have the names of each person you speak to and make it clear to them you are noting these things down. People tend to try harder at resolving things if they are being scrutinised.

Good luck with it all

gavin

Post by gavin » Wed May 28, 2008 12:41 pm

OK, I have been round the loop again. They are insisten that my ADSL service has not been cancelled or transferred to Exetel, and that I am still liable for the bills for the Bigpond service. can you explain to me what the mechanism for you cancelling/transferring my service is?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed May 28, 2008 2:14 pm

I will direct your query to an Exetel engineer...

gavin

Post by gavin » Thu May 29, 2008 6:44 pm

Has the Engineer got anything to tell me? I really don't want to go back to Telstra again without some ammunition along the lines of on xx date Exetel sent you yyy document, on xx date you responded....

austdata

Post by austdata » Thu May 29, 2008 11:43 pm

gavin wrote:I moved from telstra ADSL2 and phone to Exetel ADSL2+ and phone earlier this month. I've now received another bill from Telstra. There's no charge for my phone line (in fact, there's a few cents credit), but there is another months charge for the ADSL service I no longer have. Telstra say they have no record of me cancelling the ADSL service, only my phone line has been cancelled (though how they think they're supplying me ADSL without a phone line, I'm not sure).

is there anything Exetel can do to get this sorted out for me?

Gavin
Oops, this conundrum is entirely possible. Bigpond have a contract with you and cannot break it unilaterally, they must have an explicit instruction from you to disconnect the ADSL. For instance, they are not to know if your are using your Bigpond log-in from another location and others possibilities I'm not aware of. They may wonder why you aren't using it but that's no reason to terminate an account.

It's also important to realise that Telstra and Bigpond are two different companies.

You may have to pay this one out. Keep a record of when they changed the type of connection, they may accept that they changed the contract without instructions at that point but it is reasonable to expect that to be covered by the terms and conditions.

Cheers,

Mike
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

James D

Post by James D » Fri May 30, 2008 7:26 am

Every ISP receives a loss report from telstra wholesale, including telstra retail services.

You can call telstra and advise them that the phone service and the DSL service have been moved to another provider as of x date and that you would like to finalise the account that you have with them, They should then close the accounts on their side.

gavin

Post by gavin » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:06 pm

I never did hear from any Exetel engineer. So I tried ringing BigPond again. This time I got someone who did admit that my ADSL service had been stopped, but said they 'weren't allowed' to close my account until I actually rang them. So I have had my current bill cancelled and should get the cancellation backdated to the date when the service was actually stoppped.

It seems this is a policy change by BigPond. I think Exetel should be advising new customers that they should be calling BigPond to close their accounts as soon as possible after their Exetel service is up and running. The current advice indicates that this all happens automatically.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:55 pm

gavin wrote:The current advice indicates that this all happens automatically.
It usually does happen automatically, with best practice (as is usually advised) being to follow up any cancellation with a call to the previous ISP to ensure all charges are stopped. Each ISP is different though and some have policies buried in their terms and conditions that require explicit notification. As pointed out, some even require *advanced* notification, which is incredibly dodgy as usually you have paid monthly fees in advanced anyway and very often these advance notifications can prevent customers from successfully churning.

As it seems like BigPond require explicit notifications, then you are right, and this point should be stressed to all future churning customers. Thanks for the suggestion and I'm glad BigPond seem to have agreed to backdate your cancellation.

austdata

Post by austdata » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:13 am

gavin wrote:I think Exetel should be advising new customers that they should be calling BigPond to close their accounts as soon as possible after their Exetel service is up and running. The current advice indicates that this all happens automatically.
I think that's too much to ask. Exetel should not have to put a pack together explaining the practices of all the other ISP's, maintain it and take the flack if an item is missed or out of date.

Customers should be taking responsibility for their own actions. Obfuscation of responsibility is far too popular these days.

Cheers,

Mike
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

gavin

Post by gavin » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:45 pm

austdata wrote:Customers should be taking responsibility for their own actions.
I've looked back at all the documentation I received when I placed the order with Exetel to transfer my service to them.

The first e-mail I was sent says (in part) "This email is confirmation that I am authorizing: .... a transfer of my broadband service and acknowledge that my existing broadband service will be disconnected and termination fees or other contractual obligations may apply."

It seems to me that this hands over my responsibilities in regard to the service changeover to Exetel. As I've said (and CoreyPlover has agreed), this doesn't actually reflect what Telstra currently require from their existing customers.

gavin

Post by gavin » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:18 pm

gavin wrote:So I have had my current bill cancelled and should get the cancellation backdated to the date when the service was actually stoppped.
Well as usual in the world of Telstra it didn't quite happen like that. The cancellation wasn't backdated, and so I've received another bill. This time I spoke to Bigpond who agreed again that it should have been backdated.

They've calculated that they now owe me a rebate, but can't pay me this unless I have an active Telstra account. The account for which I have received the bill is no longer active, even though I am being asked to pay money to clear it. So my rebate cannot be paid into this account. I am now waiting to hear from them how they will be paying me the money they owe me, at which point I will pay the money I owe them.

Kafka would be proud of them.