Admin fee increase

Note: For official invoice and billing responses use billing@exetel.com.au
Locked
tin
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:22 pm
Location: Northwest NSW
Contact:

Re: Admin fee increase

Post by tin » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:28 pm

Good to see the HSPA emails have gone out. It's official now... :lol:
The above post is copyright, may be edited at any time, and should not be taken internally. Any breach of these terms may result in legal action or a sore tummy.

croziac
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:21 pm
Location: NSW

Re: Admin fee increase

Post by croziac » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:40 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
croziac wrote:Hello,
I see that in the email it gives me the option of transferring to another provider or cancelling.

If I choose to cancel my service, how do I undertake this notification?

via. email or would I have to call one of your customer service operators prior to the 19/12/08

Thanks in advance,
Croziac
To cancel a plan you use the cancel plan function in the user facilities.
When I attempt to cancel my service it states

"* I agree that if I am canceling my service within the initial contract period that a charge of $100 for an early termination will be debited from my nominated bank account or credit card."

However, I am sure this would be manually adjusted due to the recent announcement?

Thanks,
Croz

bigditty
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:06 pm

Re: Admin fee increase

Post by bigditty » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:51 pm

I must express my disapointment in not only increasing the fee for paying by credit card, but slugging every other person as well with a $3 fee for the privilege of taking the money directly from there bank account.

You now slug every customer with no option of a payment method that has a reduced or even no payment fee.
People who are on your cheapest $30/month plan now effectively pay 10% more just to pay their bill!

You think Exetel could have approached this in a more creative manner, such as:
- Attempt to keep direct debit fee free, or a smaller fee
- Charge the fee as a %age of the monthly plan
- Allow the option of quarterly (in advance) payments for the same fee
- Increase the fee on credit cards only, and at the same time increase the accepted credit cards to include Amex & Diners with the fee differing from card to card.

All in all, I understand Exetel need to remain a profitable business, but not offering one single method of payment that attracts no fee? That's simply not on. I'm wondering if an Australian consumer law even prevents this. It's just plain rude.

-rant over-
MD

fester
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Tasmania

Re: Admin fee increase

Post by fester » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:54 pm

what gets me is the fact that only a month ago you increased plan data allowances - wouldn't the cost of these increases have minimised the need for this 3$ fee as surly 90% of your customers have an adsl service?

Also you say you want to be the cheapest adsl provider but now looking at your plans you have taken most of the low and mid range plans away anyway (i understand why you have taken the low range plans away but not the mid)

I have always considered 50$ to be the max i would ever pay for an adsl service so 1.5 @ 45$ 12/48 is fine, now with the additional increase that's listed on your site (ill assume i will get an email to say my plan has increased) that takes my adsl service to 53$ a month - thats an 8$ increase (around 17-18%) with no way of dropping my plan back to the 1.5 @ 6/48 for say 45$

At the end of the day i guess ill stick with Exetel because no doubt once the need goes away i am sure this fee will be dropped

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 1813
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:33 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Admin fee increase

Post by Gidget » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:11 pm

fester wrote:1.5 @ 45$ 12/48 is fine, now with the additional increase that's listed on your site (ill assume i will get an email to say my plan has increased) that takes my adsl service to 53$ a month
Not a good idea to make assumptions
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 31#p225731
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 49#p225749

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

fester
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Tasmania

Re: Admin fee increase

Post by fester » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:14 pm

Gidget wrote:
fester wrote:1.5 @ 45$ 12/48 is fine, now with the additional increase that's listed on your site (ill assume i will get an email to say my plan has increased) that takes my adsl service to 53$ a month
Not a good idea to make assumptions
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 31#p225731
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 49#p225749

Gidget
Thanks for pointing that out - ill withdraw that part of my comments :)

vkrickles
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Location: Mittagong NSW

Re: Admin fee increase

Post by vkrickles » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:14 pm

I was disappointed and upset to receive the Exetel email about the administration fee increase. This morning I reflected on why my response had been so strong. I realised that I had fallen into the “product loyalty” trap. I've unwittingly included myself as part of the Exetel family, and think they have let me down.

This fee increase is akin to Dad reducing my allowance, even though I have done nothing wrong. He is not trying to shaft me and in these tough financial times has had to reduce my pocket money, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I'm upset, but he is still my Dad.

Exetel provide me with a range of great and inexpensive services, so even though I'm unhappy, they are still my number one ISP of choice.

Would I have felt the same response had it been Telstra? Would I be able to express my views and get responses from Sol in a forum such as this? I think not!

I'm not happy about the fee increase, but Exetel have my full support. Keep up the great work guys!

nihonjin
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:59 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Admin fee increase

Post by nihonjin » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:55 pm

I have had a quick read through the thread and cant find the answer so forgive me if it is obvious but i have ADSL and Voip will I be charged the $3 twice or can these 2 accounts go on the same bill. Do i need to do anything to get them on the same bill or will this automatically happen?

thanks.

ps whilst no one likes paying more for the same it makes sense to keep exetel around as without you we would be paying a hell of a lot more then $3 for a lot less. Im not going anywhere but will most likely change from direct deposit to CC. Perhaps as has been suggested raise the CC fees to $4 and the DD to $2 as incentive to customers to use DD. thanks.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 1813
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:33 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Admin fee increase

Post by Gidget » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:24 pm

nihonjin wrote:I have had a quick read through the thread and cant find the answer so forgive me if it is obvious but i have ADSL and Voip will I be charged the $3 twice or can these 2 accounts go on the same bill. Do i need to do anything to get them on the same bill or will this automatically happen?
I think these posts from earlier in this thread answer your question
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 47#p225647
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 00#p225700
However, I would give Exetel a bit of leeway just now because I expect they would prefer to put in place an automated process to achieve the account amalgamation. In any event, I expect they'll post more about this later.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

CableGuy
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Admin fee increase

Post by CableGuy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:47 pm

I think the general issue here is that the $3 increse has been slipped in under the "Admin Fee" banner. People understand the need to increase costs from time to time but being charge $3 to just pay a bill is ridiculous.

I know the Exetel bods have said it's not actually used to cover the cost of paying bills but as a consumer you see it as being charge it under the "paying your bill" part of the deal and not the "paying for your service".

The future of ADSL marketing ... 1500/256 for only $5 per month (oh yeah + GST + Admin fee + user fee + think-yourself-lucky fee = $53 / month :roll:

For me, the next big question is when will the email be coming about ... "your plan is no longer offered..." I see that some plans have increased by 25% .... here we go again.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 1813
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:33 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Admin fee increase

Post by Gidget » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:07 pm

CableGuy wrote:For me, the next big question is when will the email be coming about ... "your plan is no longer offered..." I see that some plans have increased by 25% .... here we go again.
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 49#p225749
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 05#p225805
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 13#p225813

Not to mention my post, a mere 5 before yours
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 13#p225813

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

dv3
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Admin fee increase

Post by dv3 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:35 pm

Due to the really upsetting $3 fee, i was wondering if i can switch ADSL1 plans (speed and data) without incurring a fee. As i dont really want to leave. :(

thomashouseman
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: Toongabbie
Contact:

Re: Admin fee increase

Post by thomashouseman » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:40 am

I haven't had a chance to read the last 6 pages worth but I have a suggestion for ForumAdmin....

How about after a year or two years of no rejected payments / direct debits / CC charges etc from a user you then waive the $3 fee as a good payment reward?

T.

nihonjin
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:59 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Admin fee increase

Post by nihonjin » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:26 am

thomashouseman wrote:I haven't had a chance to read the last 6 pages worth but I have a suggestion for ForumAdmin....

How about after a year or two years of no rejected payments / direct debits / CC charges etc from a user you then waive the $3 fee as a good payment reward?

T.

further to this you could make this the new pioneer discount scheme and remove the old one. I know i personally receive a discount that is more then $3 but this way it makes it even across the board for everyone.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Admin fee increase

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:38 am

bigditty wrote:I must express my disapointment in not only increasing the fee for paying by credit card, but slugging every other person as well with a $3 fee for the privilege of taking the money directly from there bank account.

You now slug every customer with no option of a payment method that has a reduced or even no payment fee.
People who are on your cheapest $30/month plan now effectively pay 10% more just to pay their bill!

You think Exetel could have approached this in a more creative manner, such as:
- Attempt to keep direct debit fee free, or a smaller fee
- Charge the fee as a %age of the monthly plan
- Allow the option of quarterly (in advance) payments for the same fee
- Increase the fee on credit cards only, and at the same time increase the accepted credit cards to include Amex & Diners with the fee differing from card to card.

All in all, I understand Exetel need to remain a profitable business, but not offering one single method of payment that attracts no fee? That's simply not on. I'm wondering if an Australian consumer law even prevents this. It's just plain rude.

-rant over-
MD
The Account Administration Charge has NOTHING to do with 'bank fees' or any other third party charge related to any type of payment.

It is a charge, that Exetel is now making to cover the costs, and projected costs, of a range of costs it is now incurring in the provision of services to its customers.

If I was to be pedantic I would suggest that in terms of 'credit card' versus 'direct debit' payments it could actually be seen as eliminating the current $1.10 charge for using a credit card.

Exetel preferred to cover its cost increases by making one charge per customer rather than one charge per service as would have been a more 'common' thing to do.

While it isn't ever 'popular' to increase a cost of a service sometimes it's necessary.

Locked