admin fee for payment using creit card or direct deposit.

Note: For official invoice and billing responses use billing@exetel.com.au
ntsyd

Re: admin fee for payment using creit card or direct deposit.

Post by ntsyd » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:34 pm

I have just applied to a new plan Z/20IncTel from my old plan. When I tried to change my payment method from credit card to my saving account I still this message "A surcharge, currently $3.00, is added to all monthly access charges when the user pays by either credit card or direct debit.". I have been paid this surcharge $3 for over a year & recently another surcharge of $5.0. Any idea what are these surcharge for?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:08 am

ntsyd wrote:I have just applied to a new plan Z/20IncTel from my old plan. When I tried to change my payment method from credit card to my saving account I still this message "A surcharge, currently $3.00, is added to all monthly access charges when the user pays by either credit card or direct debit.". I have been paid this surcharge $3 for over a year & recently another surcharge of $5.0. Any idea what are these surcharge for?
You should not be charged a $3 surcharges on new plans. Perhaps it is because your plan change is still to be processed, so it is advising you as if you are still on an old plan. See http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 16#p273516 for example. Plus, that message is badly worded anyway because it makes it sound like a payment fee when it isn't.

The old plans, (i.e. those prior to NF/ and Z/ plans such as the INCPHONE, INC2DSL, etc), had a $3 surcharge, or admin levy, put in place at the time of the financial crisis. It was levied on each user and my understanding of it was that it was a user-base wide special levy in order to help Exetel through the uncertain times of the financial crisis. Since then, Excel have been pricing this levy into the monthly amount (or equivalently, removing the levy) on new plans so the monthly price of the Z/ plans should not incur anything extra.

The recent $5 was not a surcharge, but just a regular price increase on plans.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:34 am

The message is because your plan change hasn't come into effect yet (so the page still sees your old plan).

thadocta

Post by thadocta » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:26 am

CoreyPlover wrote:
MikeW wrote:Pity Exetel staff are saying to customers that this is a new fee for those paying by CC or DB

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 394371&p=3
Can't understand you. That thread does not have any posts by Exetel staff, nor does it make *any* mention of a "new $3 admin fee". The $3 charge was a billing introduction and only exist on old plans; new plans have this admin fee absorbed in the monthly fee
Ok, so it is actually an increase by stealth in the cost of the monthly plan?

In other words, those on the old (cheaper) plans pay the extra $3 admin fee, those on the newer, more expensive plans don't pay it?

Doesn't sound like an "admin fee" to me, seems to me like a way of making those on older, cheaper plans to pay more per month. If it was to cover admin costs, each and every customer should be charged the same. Sounds a bit like airlines and their "fuel surcharges" and so on - should all be incorporated into the price of the basic product since it is a cost of doing business.

Dave
Last edited by CoreyPlover on Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Corrected a misleading typo that I made in my quoted paragraph

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:29 pm

Dave,

Just because you fail to understand the $3 levy, doesn't make it a "charge by stealth". This fee was announce very clearly to all users back when it was introduced (about a year ago).

All new plans (starting from about 9 months ago, so it is hardly "new") exclude this fee and, as you say, incorporate it into the cost of the basic product. The net effect is that if you are on a VERY old plan, it is in your best interests to re-examine the new plans and decide whether they offer you better value for money. You do not even need to start a new contract to get the benefits of an updated plan.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au