Increase to plan charge #2

Note: For official invoice and billing responses use billing@exetel.com.au
Thy_Zombie!

Increase to plan charge #2

Post by Thy_Zombie! » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:07 pm

Hey Exetel Admin'ers

Unlike the "I entirely understand" attitude of the previous post'er in the thread with same Subject (http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 69#p269947), I'm actually a little confused and would appreciate an expanded explanation for the Exetel justification/s of the $5 increase to my current plan, in respect to the following:

Part of the Exetel eMail states:
As you probably know your plan has not been offered by Exetel for some considerable time now and its particular characteristics and the 'average' users monthly usage mean that Exetel lose money on providing you with this particular service each month.
Q1) - Before I decide if I should stay on the current plan with the fee increase or if I will switch plans or providers, I would like to know what "particular characteristics" my current plan has which is attributing to the loss of money for Exetel? Maybe there is something extra that I have on this plan that I'm unaware of and might consider swallowing the price hike if it suits my needs. I know we used to get free SMS texts but that has also been revoked. I think we also had longer Off Peak periods but this was also reduced (while I think the newer plans were actually increased).

Q2) - As for "the 'average' users monthly usage", in regards to my current/old plan, I have:

OLD Plan Type: TELK
Monthly Access Charge: $65.00
Peak Download Limit (Mbyte): 32000
Peak Period Option: N/A
Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $3.00
OffPeak Download Limit (Mbyte): 54000
OffPeak Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $3.00
Service Line Speed: 1500/256

And from what I can ascertain, if I were to switch to a similar new plan, the closest would be:

NEW Plan Type: FP-C2
Monthly Access Charge: $60.00
Peak Download Limit (Mbyte): 36000
Peak Period Option: N/A
Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $0.50
OffPeak Download Limit (Mbyte): No Charge**
OffPeak Excess Downloads per Gbyte: N/A
Service Line Speed: 1500/256
Contract Period: 6 Months

** According to the AUP – Downloads in the Off Peak period: d) "… The maximum usage allowed in the off peak period each month will be displayed in the User Facilities but will never be less than 60 gbs per month.".

From this comparison, my old plan actually:
- has a lower Peak D/L Limit (less 4GB)
- has a lower guaranteed Off Peak D/L Limit (less 6GB)
- is charging more for excess D/L (+ $2.50GB)
- is charging more for the Monthly Access Charge (+ $5.00).

With just these basic comparisons, my old plan seems to be a quad win for Exetel. So please help me understand how my current/old plan makes “Exetel lose money on providing you with this particular service each month.”. Like I said earlier, is there is something extra that I have on this plan that I'm unaware of? Please enlighten me.

Thanking you in advance.

- TZ!

P.S. Not overly impressed with the $10 fee being charged to switch to a similar plan. Would be nice if this was waived for those wanting to do Exetel a favour by updating their plans so that they don’t “lose money” on the continued provision of older plans… ok, apologies for the sarcasm – sorta.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Increase to plan charge #2

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:28 pm

Thy_Zombie! wrote:I would appreciate an expanded explanation for the Exetel justification/s of the $5 increase to my current plan
As a user, you are not actually entitled to any justification of pricing decisions. Only shareholders are. But my (unofficial) 2c worth that might address your concerns:
Thy_Zombie! wrote:what "particular characteristics" my current plan has which is attributing to the loss of money for Exetel?
Not sure whether it is any particular aspect of "your" service specifically, or even this family of plans specifically, but the pricing decisions like this might be based on aggregated costs and revenue and the fact that new plan users are collectively subsidising old plan users.
Thy_Zombie! wrote:Q2)
- See above. Also, there might be other factors at play and not just marginal download costs of old vs new plans. Download costs are actually quite minimal compared to the port lease and possibly administrative overheads, either of which might have some repercussions of moving a bulk load of customers to the same family of plans
Thy_Zombie! wrote:P.S. Not overly impressed with the $10 fee being charged to switch to a similar plan. Would be nice if this was waived for those wanting to do Exetel a favour by updating their plans so that they don’t “lose money” on the continued provision of older plans… ok, apologies for the sarcasm – sorta.
This has been raised before. It received an unequivocal "no".
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:30 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
Thy_Zombie! wrote:I would appreciate an expanded explanation for the Exetel justification/s of the $5 increase to my current plan
As a user, you are not actually entitled to any justification of pricing decisions. Only shareholders are. But my (unofficial) 2c worth that might address your concerns:
Thy_Zombie! wrote:what "particular characteristics" my current plan has which is attributing to the loss of money for Exetel?
Not sure whether it is any particular aspect of "your" service specifically, or even this family of plans specifically, but the pricing decisions like this might be based on aggregated costs and revenue and the fact that new plan users are collectively subsidising old plan users.
Thy_Zombie! wrote:Q2)
- See above. Also, there might be other factors at play and not just marginal download costs of old vs new plans. Download costs are actually quite minimal compared to the port lease and possibly administrative overheads, either of which might have some repercussions of moving a bulk load of customers to the same family of plans
Thy_Zombie! wrote:P.S. Not overly impressed with the $10 fee being charged to switch to a similar plan. Would be nice if this was waived for those wanting to do Exetel a favour by updating their plans so that they don’t “lose money” on the continued provision of older plans… ok, apologies for the sarcasm – sorta.
This has been raised before. It received an unequivocal "no".

What Corey said.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:34 pm

CoreyPlover wrote: See above. Also, there might be other factors at play and not just marginal download costs of old vs new plans. Download costs are actually quite minimal compared to the port lease and possibly administrative overheads, either of which might have some repercussions of moving a bulk load of customers to the same family of plans
I don't know if it's the case but I would suspect that getting more people onto a smaller spread of plans would possibly simplify the billing and administration involved, may be another influence in the decision to cull some of the old plans

Thy_Zombie!

Post by Thy_Zombie! » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:43 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
Thanx CP, I was aware of my entitlements (or lack there of) as a user. Which is why I opened my statement with "I would appreciate...". Meant with genuine appreciation, however I can sorta see how it may have been interpreted in a mild, demanding kinda way... the written language - gotta love its openness to interpretations.

I do value your (unofficial) 2c worth ;)

James wrote:What Corey said.
Thanx James, good to know that Exetel Staff are validating their Volunteer Site Admin comments :D

jokiin wrote:I don't know if it's the case but I would suspect that getting more people onto a smaller spread of plans would possibly simplify the billing and administration involved, may be another influence in the decision to cull some of the old plans
Thanx jokiin, this is along the same line as the "administrative overheads" that CP noted in response to my Q2. Supporting his statements :)

Clear as mud now... and that is clearer than before I received your responses :lol:

It's all so frustrating! When the fark is the Fed Gov gunna roll out the National Broadband Network... if ever?! Sick & tired of being, well, sick & tired of constantly re-evaluating plans. Here ya go, have some more off-peak allowance --- there you go, free SMS & Fax for all --- gotta charge your plan a $3 monthly admin fee now --- yeh we know this came just a coupla months after we increased your monthly access fee --- we have just increased your peak allowance --- so we are now shifting off-peak times --- and making them shorter --- no we are moving them back now (ahhh, the new plans only) --- ok so you can elect your off-peak times, if you want --- no more free sms or fax --- we are grateful for your long term custom - so have another $5 monthly increase even though you are paying us more than the new plans, have a lower fixed off-peak limit, get charged 6x more for excess d/l, and a lower fixed peak d/l limit and by the way, if you would like to change to a more suitable NEW plan - we will charge you $10 for the privilege of helping us reduce our aggregated overheads by moving off your old plan... yada, yada, yada.

In amongst that gibberish rant, it wasn't all negative! There have been PLENTY of positives during my 5+ years with dear ol' Exetel. Else I certainly wouldn't have lasted for such a stint. As with all business, there are peaks & troughs. And unfortunately in my particular circumstance I find myself stuck in another trough here.

Yes, I know... I'm free to move to another ISP. This is something that Exetel aren't shy in pointing out in all their email notifications when such changes are made. But like I said, sick & tired of constantly re-evaluating plans. Maybe after 5+ years it is time to force a change upon myself (and yet another evaluation of alternative offerings)? If I do, I wouldn't be at all surprised if I found myself back on Exetel's ISP doorstep in the near future... maybe when they are partnering the Fed Gov's NBN :D

Decisions :?

Old Flame

Post by Old Flame » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:02 am

Thy_Zombie! wrote:
It's all so frustrating! When the fark is the Fed Gov gunna roll out the National Broadband Network... if ever?! Sick & tired of being, well, sick & tired of constantly re-evaluating plans. Here ya go, have some more off-peak allowance --- there you go, free SMS & Fax for all --- gotta charge your plan a $3 monthly admin fee now --- yeh we know this came just a coupla months after we increased your monthly access fee --- we have just increased your peak allowance --- so we are now shifting off-peak times --- and making them shorter --- no we are moving them back now (ahhh, the new plans only) --- ok so you can elect your off-peak times, if you want --- no more free sms or fax --- we are grateful for your long term custom - so have another $5 monthly increase even though you are paying us more than the new plans, have a lower fixed off-peak limit, get charged 6x more for excess d/l, and a lower fixed peak d/l limit and by the way, if you would like to change to a more suitable NEW plan - we will charge you $10 for the privilege of helping us reduce our aggregated overheads by moving off your old plan... yada, yada, yada.
Don't blow a foo foo valve :cry: , shrinks cost about $200 an hour.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:10 am

Thy_Zombie! wrote:It's all so frustrating! When the fark is the Fed Gov gunna roll out the National Broadband Network... if ever?!
I'd focus on the "if ever" part. I can't foresee a National Broadband Network ever being rolled out. I think a more likely route to national coverage will be that large telcos will continue to roll out 3G coverage across Australia and 4G coverage will emerge within capital cities.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Thy_Zombie!

Post by Thy_Zombie! » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:46 am

CoreyPlover wrote:
Thy_Zombie! wrote:It's all so frustrating! When the fark is the Fed Gov gunna roll out the National Broadband Network... if ever?!
I'd focus on the "if ever" part. I can't foresee a National Broadband Network ever being rolled out. I think a more likely route to national coverage will be that large telcos will continue to roll out 3G coverage across Australia and 4G coverage will emerge within capital cities.
TZ! Laugh's Out Loud @ I'd focus on the "if ever" part.

Ohhh, C'Mon! What tha! You can't see fibre optics being rolled out door to door? But, but, Kevin `07 said so. Another dream smashed :roll:

:idea: - SMH Article - Google dangles ultrafast broadband and cities leap - We only have until the March 26 deadline... maybe the Exetel community can convince Google to set up their " experimental fiber-optic networks" which "would deliver data at 1 gigabit per second to homes and businesses." but we also have to convince them to setup in AUS not USA :shock:

Old Flame

Post by Old Flame » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:05 am

Thy_Zombie! wrote:
:idea: - SMH Article - Google dangles ultrafast broadband and cities leap - We only have until the March 26 deadline... maybe the Exetel community can convince Google to set up their " experimental fiber-optic networks" which "would deliver data at 1 gigabit per second to homes and businesses." but we also have to convince them to setup in AUS not USA :shock:

Google has had it out for ages!!! http://www.google.com/tisp/

Thy_Zombie!

Post by Thy_Zombie! » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:26 am

Old Flame wrote: Google has had it out for ages!!! http://www.google.com/tisp/
OMG - How the heck did my concerns about the increase in charges to plans turn into a Google toilet joke :roll:

You guys are good... at the bait & switch! Got this thread totally off track - ROFL :))

- TZ!

Thy_Zombie!

Post by Thy_Zombie! » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:40 am

Old Flame wrote:Don't blow a foo foo valve :cry: , shrinks cost about $200 an hour.
K-K-K-K-Kafoofer!

Ted D

Post by Ted D » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:32 pm

I'm totally confused. I also received the email re: $5 per month increase in plan price. I am currently on a TEL1 plan which is a ADSL1 plan. I don't really understand the download limits etc and originally went on this plan for the connection speed and I don't think I have ever approached my limits.When I go to the change plan option there are only ADSL2 plans available.

My issues are:
1. Can someone please advise what plan is most suitable for me based on my historical usage, while maintaining reasonable speed.
2. What is the difference between ADSL1 and ADSL2? Will it work at my current address?
3. I have a Netcom NB1 ADSL2 - Modem router. I assume this would be suitable for ADSL2.
4. I don't see why I should pay a plan change fee as my plan doesn't seem to be currently available and the change is being forced by price increases.
5. I also note that I would also be required to enter into another contract period. I not sure why this should be the case for above reasons.

I have been with EXETEL since October 2006 and think I will continue to be a customer if someone can assist me with these issues prior to the price increase.

Hopefully someone will respond to me in a positive way, if not I may be forced into moving to another provider.

Regards

TED D

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:09 pm

Ted D wrote:I'm totally confused. I am currently on a TEL1 plan which is a ADSL1 plan. When I go to the change plan option there are only ADSL2 plans available.
You may have been automatically migrated to ADSL2+ infrastructure last year (for you extra speed for free, and for Exetel ADSL2+ is actually cheaper to supply). What do your modem sync stats show at the moment?
Ted D wrote:1. Can someone please advise what plan is most suitable for me based on my historical usage, while maintaining reasonable speed.
Can you briefly summarise your current historical usage (available in your Member Facilities. Screenshot of your upload download graph perhaps, otherwise just a ball park). It sounds as though you are a low user
Ted D wrote:2. What is the difference between ADSL1 and ADSL2? Will it work at my current address?
ADSL2+ is faster than ADSL1. To check the availability use either:
* http://sq.exetel.com.au/cgi-bin/adsl2_nf_with_phone.pl for IncTel plans (bundled ADSL2+ and phone)
* http://sq.exetel.com.au/cgi-bin/naked_nf_adsl2.pl for NAked plans (no phone line)
* http://sq.exetel.com.au/cgi-bin/adsl2_nf_no_phone.pl for BYO Line plans (just ADSL2+, keeping your phone line with Telstra,)
Ted D wrote:3. I have a Netcom NB1 ADSL2 - Modem router. I assume this would be suitable for ADSL2.
Yep
Ted D wrote:4. I don't see why I should pay a plan change fee as my plan doesn't seem to be currently available and the change is being forced by price increases.
Sorry, but the $10 plan change fee that is in place at the moment is quite unambiguous. And it is not "forced" by Exetel as you can elect to continue on the TELI plans. Since you are off contract, Exetel can increase your TELI monthly costs so although you will incur additional costs regardless of your choice, your choice itself is not "forced".
Ted D wrote:5. I also note that I would also be required to enter into another contract period. I not sure why this should be the case for above reasons.
Depending on the answers to some of your questions above, the simple answer is that upgrading to ADSL2+ involves different infrastructure, therefore a new contract

Ted D

Post by Ted D » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:02 am

Good morning

Thank you for responding but I have no idea what "modem sync stats" are.

1. I've tried to attach a snap of my last 12 months usage Image

2. I've checked with your link and it seems that ADSL2 can be received at my current address.

3. OK

4. It always seems to be one way traffic. I've brought several people on board with Exetel with no benefit to myself and soon as I am coerced into changing plans, there is a fee.

5. Same story as above. Someone convince me.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:23 am

Ted, for modem stats--
1. In the browser, go to http://192.168.1.1/ (this is your modem's address)
2. The login name is admin, the password is admin.
3. Choose Advanced Settings, then Status on the top menu.
4. Choose Modem Status. Your line rates and attenuation are there.

If the line speeds are faster than your nominal ADSL1 speeds, you have been migrated to ADSL2 already. New contracts are for people who move to plans using a different wholesale supplier, and this involves exchange work. ADSL1 is normally supplied through Telstra Wholesale, at high prices, so that Exetel has actually connected many ADSL1 customers to the Powertel ADSL2 service in exchanges where it is available.