Forced plan change TELN to TE-N, but I want TE-K

Note: For official invoice and billing responses use billing@exetel.com.au
flash

Forced plan change TELN to TE-N, but I want TE-K

Post by flash » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:59 pm

I received an email a couple of weeks ago advising me that Exetel was going to change me from my old TELN plan to the TE-N plan. All well and good, but I don't think I've ever used more than 8-10GB in a month and I can't see that changing any time soon.

I phoned sales and asked if I could choose TE-K instead of TE-N and I was told that a change of plan would cost me $20!!! Hang on a minute, Exetel is changing my plan anyway, I just want someone to click on a different button :(

The operator then said I should email residentialservice@exetel.com.au but I can't see any reference to that address on the site. Maybe it's not an advertised address, or I heard it wrong - it might have been her accent, or the traffic nearby, but either way I seem to have hit a dead-end...

Also, I assume that my IP will not change with a new plan?

Any ideas???

Thanks.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Forced plan change TELN to TE-N, but I want TE-K

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:04 pm

flash wrote:The operator then said I should email residentialservice@exetel.com.au but I can't see any reference to that address on the site.
Likely meant to be residentialsupport@exetel.com.au.
flash wrote:Also, I assume that my IP will not change with a new plan?
Since your infrastructure is unchanged (still on Telstra ADSL1), your IP address will stay the same.
flash wrote:Any ideas???
Can I ask: is TE-N better than TELN in terms of quota / price? If it is, there is an argument that Exetel are giving you a free "upgrade" to a plan of their choosing. From there, if you wish to elect a different plan (TE-K, which represents a "downgrade") the regular plan change fee applies as is industry practice.

An alternative way of casting it all, imagine someone else had elected to move to the old TELK before Exetel migrated both of you, which clearly would have incurred a plan change fee, and then they got migrated automatically across to the new TE-K. It would be unfair for one of you to be charged and not the other, so there may be an equality issue at play here, not just a technical impediment.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

flash

Post by flash » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:51 pm

Thanks, Corey. I get what you're saying - but on the other hand, I've had a plan for years that I've only been using about 20-30% of the data allowance. I guess there has been at least a little profit there, but that's neither here nor there - I'm just after a plan that suits my usage better and I made the assumption that if Exetel are changing my plan anyway, why not just do it in one step without any fuss.

If I have to pay the $20 I'll deal with it, but since my boss pays the bill (due to remote stuff from home) I want to look after him as much as possible. Guess you don't hear that too often nowadays, huh???

Thanks again mate, I'll flick and email to support and see what happens.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:10 am

flash wrote:If I have to pay the $20 I'll deal with it, but since my boss pays the bill (due to remote stuff from home) I want to look after him as much as possible.
$20 fee to save $30 per month. You'd still be doing the right thing by your boss.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au