Move service request vs Disconnecting and re-registering

Note: For official invoice and billing responses use billing@exetel.com.au
Arfman

Move service request vs Disconnecting and re-registering

Post by Arfman » Mon May 23, 2011 12:07 am

Hi, I'm pretty happy with my Exetel service though I am moving house soon. I am no longer under any contract and is on a month to month connection now. As I am renting and singing a new lease, I am willing to take up a new Exetel connection with a 12 months contract. However, I am confused as to what I should be doing. This is a long post, so bear with me.

As part of the Exetel member services, I am able to do a move service request. I am not sure how long this takes, and whether my old connection is disconnected the moment I am connected to the new service, or if there's a gap of time in between or whether they overlap somehow.

I am also seeing discrepancies in cost of moving if I were to do a move request VS disconnecting the service at my current premises and then reconnecting by signing up a new service at the new premises.

Under the move service request, there is a line that says "Only currently advertised broadband plans are available when you move residential locations." This is understandable, and I am willing to move away from being currently connected on Exetel ADSL1 speeds on my Telstra home phone line.

However, the listed plan that look attractive to me on the move request is the Optus-line based OT30 plan (with telephone) at $55/month giving me 30 gbytes of downloads on-peak (12 noon to 4am) and 180 gbytes off-peak (4am to 12 noon). The move comes with a $40 relocation charge. I am not sure if the phone line rental is included in the plan cost.

This contrasts with the closest equivalent available plan on a brand new connection named OT100 which costs $19.99/month and another 100GB off-peak (1am-9am) with $0 service activation charge (but requires that I connect my telephone through Exetel which I expect to be another $30 to $35 extra) which gives me 100GB on-peak (9am-1am). Seeing this though I am really confused what Exetel meant by "Only currently advertised broadband plans are available when you move residential locations."

Seeing this, the downloads off-peak and off-peak don't bother me that much since they're in excess of my current usage level but of course I want to spend less for the most level of service. However, I am confused as to why there is a discrepancy of offered plans and whether I'm paying $40 for the convenience and the chance to port over my existing Exetel emails I currently have should I chose to relocate instead of doing my own disconnecting and reconnecting.

I also like to add by asking if I want to move service manually, do I need to move my Telstra phone line service first to the new premises, or can I just connect straight to Exetel without a phone line?

Arfman

Re: Move service request vs Disconnecting and re-registering

Post by Arfman » Mon May 23, 2011 12:20 pm

Feel free to move this thread into the proper forum if you feel that this is asked in the wrong place. :oops:

remosha
Exetel Staff

Post by remosha » Mon May 23, 2011 9:58 pm

Please find the answers for your query below:

1) As part of the Exetel member services, I am able to do a move service request. I am not sure how long this takes, and whether my old connection is disconnected the moment I am connected to the new service, or if there's a gap of time in
between or whether they overlap somehow.

- This depends on the plan that you are currently on, the plan that you require at the new address as well as the telephone line activation date at the new address. It seems like you are currently on an ADSL plan offered via the Telstra Network
wanting to relocate with an ADSL2 service offered via the Optus Network. If so, in your Exetel Members Facilities - Manage Services - ADSL - Move Service section, you may nominate a date for us to terminate your current ADSL service and
nominate a date for us to start proceedings of the new ADSL serviec at the new address. Please note that an active telephone line on Telstra Copper is essential for us to start the ADSL activation process at the new address. It takes
approximately 8 -10 business days from the nominated date for the new connection to be activated.

2) However, the listed plan that look attractive to me on the move request is the Optus-line based OT30 plan (with telephone) at $55/month giving me 30 gbytes of downloads on-peak (12 noon to 4am) and 180 gbytes off-peak (4am to 12 noon). The
move comes with a $40 relocation charge. I am not sure if the phone line rental is included in the plan cost.

- Yes, the OT30 plan (if available in your Exetel Members Facilities) currently costs $55 per month including the monthly telephone rental.

3) This contrasts with the closest equivalent available plan on a brand new connection named OT100 which costs $19.99/month and another 100GB off-peak (1am-9am) with $0 service activation charge (but requires that I connect my telephone through Exetel which I expect to be another $30 to $35 extra) which gives me 100GB on-peak (9am-1am). Seeing this though I am really confused what Exetel meant by "Only currently advertised broadband plans are available when you move residential locations." Seeing this, the downloads off-peak and off-peak don't bother me that much since they're in excess of my current usage level but of course I want to spend less for the most level of service. However, I am confused as to why there is a discrepancy of offered plans and whether I'm paying $40 for the convenience and the chance to port over my existing Exetel emails I currently have should I chose to relocate instead of doing my own disconnecting and reconnecting.

- If you wish to sign up for the OT100 plan, you may terminate your current service, activate a telephone line at the new address and then place an order for the OT100 plan (if the plan is available at that time). However, your new telephone
exchange should be equipped with Optus ADSL2. You have the option of keeping your email account active for 6 months in the termination request form. Once the new service is active, you may get your email accounts transfered to the the new ADSL account by sending an email to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

4) I also like to add by asking if I want to move service manually, do I need to move my Telstra phone line service first to the new premises, or can I just connect straight to Exetel without a phone line?

- If you are currently on a standalone ADSL plan via the Telstra Network, you fist need to get your telephone line to the new address.

If you require further clarification please email me on remoshaf@exetel.com.lk with your ADSL account details so that I can assist you better.

Arfman

Post by Arfman » Tue May 24, 2011 7:21 am

Thanks Remosha.

Just to confirm, does that mean regardless of which step I take, I will be required to activate a phone line at the new premises first with Telstra (or any other phone provider)?

shoner

Post by shoner » Tue May 24, 2011 9:39 am

Arfman wrote:Thanks Remosha.

Just to confirm, does that mean regardless of which step I take, I will be required to activate a phone line at the new premises first with Telstra (or any other phone provider)?
Yes that is right. Recommend that you get the phone line activated with Telstra.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Arfman

Post by Arfman » Tue May 24, 2011 10:39 am

Hi Remosha,

I understand the cost incurred from Telstra for the new connection will be $59, followed by a $100 charge for an early disconnection (less than 3 months)?

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Wed May 25, 2011 12:28 am

Arfman wrote:Hi Remosha,

I understand the cost incurred from Telstra for the new connection will be $59, followed by a $100 charge for an early disconnection (less than 3 months)?
Yes That's Correct.... If you breach the contract, a $100.00 will be charged.

Arfman

Post by Arfman » Wed May 25, 2011 6:58 am

thejeg wrote:
Arfman wrote:Hi Remosha,

Yes That's Correct.... If you breach the contract, a $100.00 will be charged.
Can I use an alternative telephone provider that resells from Telstra to avoid this charge? AAPT or Westnet perhaps?

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Wed May 25, 2011 8:31 am

Arfman wrote:alternative telephone provider that resells from Telstra
Take note that cetain circumstances the telephone service is delivered via wholly leased copper line with the implication of not being able to use any other internet service but that provider, unless you go through a termination/reconnection process.

Have a look around and read the terms & conditions carefully as a lot, when I looked a while back now, impose at least 1 month plus 1 billable month written notice of account cancellation, in effect 2-months minimum.

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Wed May 25, 2011 11:51 pm

Ravenous wrote:
Arfman wrote:alternative telephone provider that resells from Telstra
Take note that cetain circumstances the telephone service is delivered via wholly leased copper line with the implication of not being able to use any other internet service but that provider, unless you go through a termination/reconnection process.

Have a look around and read the terms & conditions carefully as a lot, when I looked a while back now, impose at least 1 month plus 1 billable month written notice of account cancellation, in effect 2-months minimum.
Absolutely correct!

have a look at http://www.exetel.com.au/a_terms_conditions.php

Arfman

Post by Arfman » Thu May 26, 2011 10:20 pm

Hit a bit of the snag. Telco says the phone has not been used for a number of months and wants to sent a Telstra Tech to the exchange to check so will push the timing a bit off. However, just today I went down to the premises with a telephone and not only was there a dial-tone but also a number and it rings! Ah well. Just shot them an email with the number with the hope that it will fasten the process.

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Fri May 27, 2011 12:04 am

Arfman wrote:Hit a bit of the snag. Telco says the phone has not been used for a number of months and wants to sent a Telstra Tech to the exchange to check so will push the timing a bit off. However, just today I went down to the premises with a telephone and not only was there a dial-tone but also a number and it rings! Ah well. Just shot them an email with the number with the hope that it will fasten the process.
Ok...!!!

Keep the thread updated...

Arfman

Post by Arfman » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:54 am

Alright, finally had a response from Westnet on Tuesday. They screwed up a bit with the SMS notification so even though the line was ready on Monday, I only found out on Tuesday after doing my own chasing. With some delays from physically moving all my belongings to my new house, I finally lodged in a request via phone to connect up the internet on Wedneday. Thought I could have gotten the Optus-based ADSL2 but was advised that the service was going to be too slow (around 3000+ kbps) due to the distance from the exchange and could have my application rejected. Was advised instead to take one of the Telstra ADSL1 or 2 plans for a higher relocation cost of $88 and monthly fees. However, I'm still pretty happy that the 50GB TCV20-50 plan is only going at $39.95/month which is somewhat lower than my former ADSL1 charges at $50+/month due to the depreciated plan fees. Now I just have to wait around 3-5 working days before my Internet access comes up, which is a lot faster than the 10 day timeline I was initially given for new signups.

Just to check though, I had my connection at my old premises planned for disconnection today. This is a few days after the monthly cut-off. Will I get the paid pro-rata charge for this month refunded or credited into my new account?

Arfman

Post by Arfman » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:59 am

Oh, and prior to applying to get the connection at the old premises disconnected, I also sent an email to get my emails and webspace ported over to my new connection, so I did not choose to pay for keeping those services continued. The move was confirmed for today. The email has been moved but the webspace is still pending. Fingers crossed, hopefully everything ports over fine when this connection is disconnected and the connection at the new place is up.

Arfman

Post by Arfman » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:20 pm

Everything seems to be going fine, but I got charged in advance for the ADSL at my old premises. Can I request the pro-rata charge which has been disconnected from my previous service and be credited into my new service?