Termination of service

Note: For official invoice and billing responses use billing@exetel.com.au
lordvader

Termination of service

Post by lordvader » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:42 pm

Hi all.

So I've just received an email stating that a commercial decision has been made to terminate my service.
On calling Exetel support, I was presented with a brick wall, and when I asked to speak to anyone more senior, and was told that any queries in regards to this particular issue cannot be escalated as it is a "commercial decision". After much pleading, the support staffer hung up on me.

I've been a loyal exetel customer for almost 10 years, and feel entitled to know why my service has been terminated.

Does Exetel not want my money ? I've paid my bills on time for the past 10 years, and have received no correspondence informing me that I've been breaching any of the terms and conditions.

Please, let me know why Exetel does not want my money, or, permit me to continue using the service.

JeremyP

Re: Termination of service

Post by JeremyP » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:02 pm

Same, i'm totally disgusted by Exetel's random boot of its users, especially those who are not breaching any Acceptable Use Policy and those not even going near their monthly download quotas.

The fact no reason is given for this is absurd, i'd understand if i was breaching something, but just a random boot, it feels a bit childish.

whowalks

Post by whowalks » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:03 pm

Same here just got a notice today ??
Im like WTF !!
Does anyone know whats going on ive been with extel around 5 years now

AITCS

Post by AITCS » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:04 pm

Same thing happened here... 10+ years of loyal subscription, I also have the family and lots of clients connected.
Just had a look at my usage stats for the last 6 months... barely cracking 150GB/mo on my 900GB/mo plan, so it's not making a lot of sense.
Bills are all direct debit, so no payment issues there. Never received any emails regarding untoward network usage either.

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:11 pm

As we have stated in the email sent to you, Exetel has made a commercial decision to cease supplying services to your address,

A period of 30 days notice has been given to you as per the contractual agreement.

This notice period is in accordance with relevant Federal legislation (Telecommunications Act) and industry standards As per the Terms and Conditions of your service located at http://www.exetel.com.au/terms.

(12.4 If the Agreement is a non Fixed-Term Agreement, Exetel may cancel the Service at any time by giving the Customer at least thirty (30) days' notice)

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:25 pm

But why?

Mort

Post by Mort » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:26 pm

Surely there's been a mistake. I just got an email notifying me of termination also with no explanation. There must be some explanation for this?
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

slix_88

Post by slix_88 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:28 pm

thejeg wrote:As we have stated in the email sent to you, Exetel has made a commercial decision to cease supplying services to your address,

A period of 30 days notice has been given to you as per the contractual agreement.

This notice period is in accordance with relevant Federal legislation (Telecommunications Act) and industry standards As per the Terms and Conditions of your service located at http://www.exetel.com.au/terms.

(12.4 If the Agreement is a non Fixed-Term Agreement, Exetel may cancel the Service at any time by giving the Customer at least thirty (30) days' notice)
Not a good enough reason.

I just received the same notice and I barely use 20% of my allocated quota in any given month! I have also been with you guys for the last 10 years and was looking forward to upgrading to the NBN through Exetel. Seems like you guys are performing a disgusting act of flicking off your most loyal customers.

It angers me so much because I haven't done anything wrong here. It's even more of an inconvenience because I have heavily vested in using my Exetel email addresses for pretty much everything including many logins.

Could you please provide a more direct reason rather than white-labelling it as a "commercial decision"?

Shonky

Post by Shonky » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:08 pm

Clearly there is a reason more detailed than "commercial decision". As an 8+ year user I feel also a better explanation is warranted. If given (and reasonable), I'd bet many would accept it. However just sending a stock email like that will just rile people up.

Is it because of complaints made about peak speeds?
Is it excessive downloads? No one posting here or whirlpool appears to be maxing out their plan limits or anything?

I really fail to see why this cannot be provided unless it shows you are acting in bad faith e.g. cancelling higher usage users (who are still well within their plan limits).

It appears you are ditching some 400 customers. I can ensure you that the bad PR/word of mouth you will gain from this, will hurt you a lot more than the 400 customers you are intentionally losing. I can't understand the "commercial decision" that could be made here.

Steve.Rand

Post by Steve.Rand » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:22 pm

Ah. I got this on the 10th also, and just got off the phone to the lovely off-shore support and it was a similar story. They couldn't give me an explanation beyond repeating almost word-for-word what was in the email and pretty much telling me I had to find another provider.
I asked for a manager or another department who WOULD know the answer (because there IS one, we are just not being told) and I was told that she couldn't and noone can tell me why, and that they themselves don't know.

I'm not a regular forum-goer, but I see the co-founder died not long ago, so perhaps there was some power struggle over running the business and now one person has the axe to make some chops.

I checked my plan (old legacy plan, unlimited off-peak) and it's actually worse than the new $59 unlimited plan, so money is not the issue, quota is not the issue. My bills are paid on time pretty much every time. (perhaps one or two late over the 5 years).

I know i'm not going to starve Exetel to bankruptcy by not recommending them anymore, but the 5 or so friends and family i've connected to Exetel will be the last, but the repetition of my story will not be. I hope it is as exponential as my recommendations were.

Well... hello iinet with your unlimited plan or your unmetered Netflix 300Gb plan!

JeremyP

Post by JeremyP » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:32 pm

Considering Exetel's user base is pretty much word of mouth, can rest assured the word of mouth will not be great.

Can also rest assured Exetel, my agent status will be cancelled and friends, family & clients will be told to look elsewhere than Exetel.

Aaphid

Post by Aaphid » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:56 pm

I think they're not going to say the real reason why because it's worse than the loss of goodwill from the customers who have been given a termination notice. The truth is most probably that there are financial problems.

From what I can see everyone on the old $20 + $20 100GB plan is being shifted to either a low data plan or a similar plan with a $5 fee increase. There doesn't seem to be any option of staying on the existing plan. I also seem to remember a post some years ago by someone at Exetel where they said that some huge percentage of traffic was attributable to a very small percentage of users.

Given the short notice timeframe I'm thinking there's been a crisis management meeting regarding cashflow. The result was to flick the most expensive customers and increase fees to others. Could this be the result of a hike in wholesaler fees?

While I'm disappointed I'm not about to go anywhere else. And I seriously hope Exetel remains solvent.

My sympathies to those who received the termination as well.

Cugel

Post by Cugel » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:06 pm

Aaphid wrote:The result was to flick the most expensive customers
Yet at the same time, continuing to offer unlimited @ $59/mon to entice more potentially expensive customers. With the refusal to even hint at a rationale, it all looks rather shady.

Shonky

Post by Shonky » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:10 pm

Cugel wrote:
Aaphid wrote:The result was to flick the most expensive customers
Yet at the same time, continuing to offer unlimited @ $59/mon to entice more potentially expensive customers. With the refusal to even hint at a rationale, it all looks rather shady.
If that's really the case (and I'm not sure it is), then yes that would be misleading or deceptive advertising something they're not willing to provide.

It seems from the whirlpool thread there are a few quite low usage users that have been given the boot too, so it kind of rules out excessive usage.

Cugel

Post by Cugel » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:29 am

We could rule it out, if they would just fess up. But while they're keeping schtum, mud will be flung.