Incorrect call out fee even though technician cut wires?

Note: For official invoice and billing responses use billing@exetel.com.au
rlsaj

Incorrect call out fee even though technician cut wires?

Post by rlsaj » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:47 pm

I have just been notified of a $220 incorrect call out fee.

We have had some speed/connection issues and I had previously raised a ticket (most recent issue # 9090018). The issue was that the speed was halved (from 11000Kbps to 6000Kbps), it was slow, but still manageable.

Exetel sent a technician to our house on 09/06/2015 and we were advised that our modem was in fact connected to an extension outlet and that may be the cause, he then asked for directions to any other outlet so I directed him to an outlet in a different room (I did not know this was the main / extension). This was identified as the main outlet.

He then cut some cablings, tied them in a knot, and left. As in, literally walked out the door without explanation as to what he had done or what the issue was. As he was about to leave our house as I asked ,"What happens next?" and he said, "Nothing, I've contacted Exetel".

Not knowing what he had done, I tried to reconnect my modem but I had no connection. After a call with Exetel tech support - who to be fair, did not what what the technician had just done - we identified that the technician had cut the extension wires so the modem was not going to connect from that room. I then moved the modem to another room - not ideal as its the family room, probably why the extension was put in the first place - and our speeds have gradually improved.

The issue here is that Exetel's Incorrect Call out Fee email clearly states, "... Exetel is not authorized to restore services beyond the NBP...".

Our issue is now that we went from a working, but half speed connection, through our extension cabling to no connection at all. We were not asked if we wanted the wiring cut and from the email it appears that this technician did something that he was not authorised to do.

I will be disputing this $200 incorrect call out fee.

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Re: Incorrect call out fee even though technician cut wires?

Post by ShaminG » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:17 pm

rlsaj wrote:I have just been notified of a $220 incorrect call out fee.

We have had some speed/connection issues and I had previously raised a ticket (most recent issue # 9090018). The issue was that the speed was halved (from 11000Kbps to 6000Kbps), it was slow, but still manageable.

Exetel sent a technician to our house on 09/06/2015 and we were advised that our modem was in fact connected to an extension outlet and that may be the cause, he then asked for directions to any other outlet so I directed him to an outlet in a different room (I did not know this was the main / extension). This was identified as the main outlet.

He then cut some cablings, tied them in a knot, and left. As in, literally walked out the door without explanation as to what he had done or what the issue was. As he was about to leave our house as I asked ,"What happens next?" and he said, "Nothing, I've contacted Exetel".

Not knowing what he had done, I tried to reconnect my modem but I had no connection. After a call with Exetel tech support - who to be fair, did not what what the technician had just done - we identified that the technician had cut the extension wires so the modem was not going to connect from that room. I then moved the modem to another room - not ideal as its the family room, probably why the extension was put in the first place - and our speeds have gradually improved.

The issue here is that Exetel's Incorrect Call out Fee email clearly states, "... Exetel is not authorized to restore services beyond the NBP...".

Our issue is now that we went from a working, but half speed connection, through our extension cabling to no connection at all. We were not asked if we wanted the wiring cut and from the email it appears that this technician did something that he was not authorised to do.

I will be disputing this $200 incorrect call out fee.
I had a look into connection stats and could see service is now attaining a sync rate around 11 Mbps.

Looking at the additional notes, it appears technician has isolated a faulty socket and has disconnected the additional socket from the NBP/main wall socket which is causing the fault. As the network provider, technician has the authority remove any additional equipment "connected" to NBP/wall socket causing any fault to restore the service.

He could have explained this better to you while he was in the site. Unfortunately, FFS will remain on this instance.

rlsaj

Post by rlsaj » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:19 pm

Hi ShaminG, I am one of the people who have been sent a Notice of termination of service letter, due to be disconnected on Jul 11.

This seems to me that Exetel was aware of my "To be Terminated" status but still proceeded in sending a technician out.

On 09/06/15 the technician visited, on 10/06/15 I received the Notice of termination. If the Notice of Termination came 1 day earlier, I would not have asked for the call out.

It feels very unjust that I am now paying Exetel (or the wholesaler/technician) $220 only to be told that I am no longer being provided the service that I have used for over 10 years.

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:19 pm

rlsaj wrote:Hi ShaminG, I am one of the people who have been sent a Notice of termination of service letter, due to be disconnected on Jul 11.

This seems to me that Exetel was aware of my "To be Terminated" status but still proceeded in sending a technician out.

On 09/06/15 the technician visited, on 10/06/15 I received the Notice of termination. If the Notice of Termination came 1 day earlier, I would not have asked for the call out.

It feels very unjust that I am now paying Exetel (or the wholesaler/technician) $220 only to be told that I am no longer being provided the service that I have used for over 10 years.
Before the technician's visit has been arranged, FFS has been explained to you and has been agreed. As we explained previously, FFS is applicable as the fault not within the ISP infrastructure.

rlsaj

Post by rlsaj » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:45 am

The Incorrect Call Out Fee was explained to me with the assumption that I would still be an Exetel member after any work would be completed. By no action of my own, I am now not an Exetel member from July 11.

Regardless of the FFS being explained to me, what happened was one day after the call out, my contract is now terminated. I would not have asked for an Exetel supplied (wholesaler) technician to come out if I knew my contract with Exetel was terminated.

If my contract was still on going, I would have no issue paying the $220 incorrect call out fee BUT my contract is cancelled. It seems very unfortunate that 24 hours after I had a technician visit, my account is cancelled.

Can I please request that the FFS be dismissed in this case?

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:02 am

rlsaj wrote:The Incorrect Call Out Fee was explained to me with the assumption that I would still be an Exetel member after any work would be completed. By no action of my own, I am now not an Exetel member from July 11.

Regardless of the FFS being explained to me, what happened was one day after the call out, my contract is now terminated. I would not have asked for an Exetel supplied (wholesaler) technician to come out if I knew my contract with Exetel was terminated.

If my contract was still on going, I would have no issue paying the $220 incorrect call out fee BUT my contract is cancelled. It seems very unfortunate that 24 hours after I had a technician visit, my account is cancelled.

Can I please request that the FFS be dismissed in this case?
Apologies but this request cannot be taken in to consideration and as advised the issue was clearly on your side of the network as the speeds have improved on the service since the technician has disconnected the faulty extensions from the NBP.

This will apply as per agreement.

rlsaj

Post by rlsaj » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:56 am

Thank you for your response angelos. My concern is that my Notice of Termination was sent 1 day after the technician visited. Had the notice been sent 1 day prior, I would've cancelled the technician.

I felt obligated to contact ACCC this morning and have lodged a complaint and sought advice. The treatment that I am receiving from Exetel over the last week is not something I would expect for a customer who has been with Exetel for over 10 years.

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:51 pm

rlsaj wrote:Thank you for your response angelos. My concern is that my Notice of Termination was sent 1 day after the technician visited. Had the notice been sent 1 day prior, I would've cancelled the technician.

I felt obligated to contact ACCC this morning and have lodged a complaint and sought advice. The treatment that I am receiving from Exetel over the last week is not something I would expect for a customer who has been with Exetel for over 10 years.
We have addressed this issue appropriately and an email has been sent under the reference number 9179888 to your nominated email address with a resolution for this case.

Please drop a reply to that email if you have any further queries.

rlsaj

Post by rlsaj » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:07 am

Thank you for the response and for working out this arrangement. Please note that I received my most recent Invoice and the FFS is on the invoice.

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:42 am

rlsaj wrote:Thank you for the response and for working out this arrangement. Please note that I received my most recent Invoice and the FFS is on the invoice.
This charge will be reversed soon. This will not be taken out from your bank account on the direct debit date.