Speeds WAY down again this morning.

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Craig M

Speeds WAY down again this morning.

Post by Craig M » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:09 am

New Lamton exchange, Naked 2+ user. Synced @ 2389/748 right now.

Exetel speed test results show:

Your current bandwidth reading is:
310.50kbps
which means you can download at 38.81 KB/sec. from our servers.

I tried to download off of Steam, which is usually quite reliable and Im getting between 6-15k a second. Browsing is difficult.

Any idea WTF is going on? Things had been pretty reliable lately.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Speeds WAY down again this morning.

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:11 pm

With sync that low (and especially if it previously synced significantly higher), you may want to follow through with a slow speed fault via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au. It is also very strange that the Exetel speed test and your downloads are much, much lower than this sync. No other traffic (particularly uploads) that may be consuming your bandwidth?

Craig M

Post by Craig M » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:12 am

That sync is about my usual result, mate. I never sync above 2900/750. Ever. Im told thats because Im about 1.5kms from the exchange.

Nah, I pause whatever downloads or uploads are running whne I run the tests. It's taken me 7 minutes to load a 1:19 minute video from www.gametrailers.com.

Same time again the next day and my speed results are:

259.60kbps
which means you can download at 32.45 KB/sec. from our servers.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:47 am

Craig M wrote:That sync is about my usual result, mate. I never sync above 2900/750. Ever. Im told thats because Im about 1.5kms from the exchange.
That doesn't sound right. Sync speeds at 1.5km can be upward of 10Mbps (see www.exetel.com.au/pdf/downstream.pdf). Granted, some connections perform lower than average but if you are truly only 1.5km (of cable length) from the exchange then your speeds are far below expectations.

If it is possible, testing with a different borrowed modem would be beneficial, but I think you also need to log a slow speed fault to have things looked into. Either your cable length estimate is wrong, or your line is faulty in some way. And regardless of this, your speed throughputs are significantly lower than your sync speed.

Craig M

Post by Craig M » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:11 am

Well, these are the sort of sync speeds I've gotten since I had the service connected. I was terribly dissapointed, but most of the members here told me that was what is expected considering the distance etc.

These are my full modem results:

Line Mode ADSL2 Line State Show Time
Line Power State L0 Line Up Time 00:00:10:40
Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 2194 Kbps 676 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate 3240 Kbps 676 Kbps
Noise Margin 13.8 dB 12.1 dB
Line Attenuation 52.5 dB 29.9 dB
Output Power 0.0 dBm 12.9 dBm

ANd this is the result of the extel speed test this morning:

801.80kbps
which means you can download at 100.23 KB/sec. from our servers.

This is still ell below my sync speed and isn't even ADSL1 standard, right?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:36 am

Craig M wrote:This is still ell below my sync speed and isn't even ADSL1 standard, right?
Correct.

If your cable length is truly 1.5km (and you can perhaps inquire about this when you lodge a slow speed fault) then your line is displaying a higher than expected attenuation (53dB) and is therefore degrading your speeds. This may indicate a faulty line (which Exetel can do some basic tests for, or escalate to the supplier if need be). Or, they can provide you with a more accurate cable length (your sync stats are equivalent to about 3-3.5km of cable).

Notwithstanding this, even though your sync speeds are above 1.5Mbps, your throughput speeds are below the equivalent ADSL1 speeds of about 150KB/s after overheads are allowed for, so I definitely think you have grounds for a slow speed fault.