Powertel Speed - enough is enough

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
neb

Powertel Speed - enough is enough

Post by neb » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:26 am

The speed using powertel DSL2 has been progressively over time getting worse and worse to the point of almost unusable in any off-peak period. There is nothing wrong with my connection, come 1230/1pm I can get over 1.3 mB/s off the same sites at most off peak times I barely get 25-30 kB/s, and no none of these are P2P or any crap like that.

Recently an Exetel customer on Optus based DSL2 was at around 10am getting a sustained 800kB/s off the same site I was getting no better than 30-50 kB/s off

I have reciprocal user agreement with two neighbors testing BP and TPG, we have proven this is not exchange congestion, but exetel/powertel extreme under provisioning.

Tthis morning attempting to d/l off foxtel downloads, on Exetel the time to take after running for a while was still in excess of 14 hours, via TPG it was going to take a little over 1 (one) hour, speeds on BP test were comparable to TPG.
Running the d/l in peak will take about the same time as it takes on TPG. No I'm not just bitching about foxtel either, I'm just using it as my example, even Exetels own speedtest shows how pathetic it is, but its accuracy is debatable as it shows 200kB/s on avg in off peak in AM, but then after lunch it'll show 1.3MB/s.

Even Exetels own website is blocky this morning like I'm on 2400 dialup, so that shows there was no more bandwith to give this connection, I have been quiet on this for some time, but over the past 2 or 3 months it's been getting far worse, and getting beyond a joke now, so I'd like to ask what Exetel are doing about this lack of bandwith with powertel connections?

Cheers

neb

Re: Powertel Speed - enough is enough

Post by neb » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:00 am

6.57 am from Optus's mirror
Screenshot-5% of 1 file - Downloads.png
6.57am
Screenshot-5% of 1 file - Downloads.png (15.25 KiB) Viewed 1267 times

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:27 am

Re Linux distros, rather than Powertel - I'm on an Optus ADSL2 connection, but early yesterday morning I needed a Karmic iso, so I joined the rush. Exetel's mirror using Opera was 4 KB/s. So I killed that and tried the Internode mirror, which was also dreadful. And so on, doing the rounds of the Ubuntu mirrors with the browser (Opera is usually quicker than FF), and never getting better than 10 KB/s. So I finally set wget to download from the Optus and Exetel mirrors simultaneously, and killed the slower. I downloaded the iso at 160 KB/s from Optus. At that time I can always get 500 KB/s on 8-connections usenet. I suppose the moral of the tale is to use the downloader.

neb

Post by neb » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:41 am

Dazzled wrote:Re Linux distros, rather than Powertel - I'm on an Optus ADSL2 connection, but early yesterday morning I needed a Karmic iso, so I joined the rush. Exetel's mirror using Opera was 4 KB/s. So I killed that and tried the Internode mirror, which was also dreadful. And so on, doing the rounds of the Ubuntu mirrors with the browser (Opera is usually quicker than FF), and never getting better than 10 KB/s. So I finally set wget to download from the Optus and Exetel mirrors simultaneously, and killed the slower. I downloaded the iso at 160 KB/s from Optus. At that time I can always get 500 KB/s on 8-connections usenet. I suppose the moral of the tale is to use the downloader.
Shouldn't have to, not when a few hours later in "peak" I can d/l the entire thing in about 10 minutes...

FTP is marginally better, at least this morning (again from optus)...

ncftp /pub/centos/5.3/isos/i386 > get CentOS-5.3-i386-LiveCD.iso
CentOS-5.3-i386-LiveCD.iso: ETA: 98:23 35.69/691.15 MB 113.70 kB/s

neb

Post by neb » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:11 am

Your current bandwidth reading is:

1.02 Mbps

which means you can download at 130.7 KB/sec. from our servers.

it just gets better.. LOL

neb

Post by neb » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:13 am

it just gets better.. LOL

Screenshot-Exetel DSL Speed Test - Bandwidth Meter - Mozilla Firefox.png
Screenshot-Exetel DSL Speed Test - Bandwidth Meter - Mozilla Firefox.png (55.55 KiB) Viewed 1196 times

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:04 pm

If I understand correctly, you are getting high speed during peak (1.3MB/s) but low speeds during off-peak?

Those off-peak speeds are very slow, even for off-peak, so you should probably log a ticket via residentialsupport@exetel.com.au to at least get the fault formally logged. Otherwise, there are similar claims of slow (20-30KB/s) off-peak downloads showing up at http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 79#p261079