Why is my Naked ADSL2+ like dial-up?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
igor

Why is my Naked ADSL2+ like dial-up?

Post by igor » Sat May 01, 2010 11:41 am

I used to enjoy quite good speed (3 to 10 Mb/s) with my old naked adsl2+. But I was forced to switch to these new Z-plans and now my speed is comparable to that of a dial-up connection:
Tested on 01/05/2010 at 11:30 a.m. AEST

Is it something that can be fixed or it is because of your cost cutting?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Why is my Naked ADSL2+ like dial-up?

Post by Dazzled » Sat May 01, 2010 12:02 pm

Plan changes are about accounting, not anything physical, so the switch date isn't part of the problem. You are testing congestion on international connections. Your modem status page will show your line speed, and a line speed download test should be to a fast server as near on the network as possible.

Sgtspike

Post by Sgtspike » Sat May 01, 2010 12:05 pm

offpeak will always will be slow. I am getting the same slow speed.

I think its p2p traffic who are sucking all the bandwdith :evil:. P2P does nothing but congest traffic.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Sat May 01, 2010 2:55 pm

igor wrote: ... I was forced to switch to these new Z-plans ...
How can you be forced to switch plans? I was an NF naked plan, and requested a change to a Z plan, which took effect this morning.

Although using speed tests to overseas servers is not a true indicator of your connection's capability, to compare apples to apples:

igor wrote: Is it something that can be fixed or it is because of your cost cutting?
Doesn't look like it needs fixing to me. Looks even better when I take the international links out of the equation.

igor

Post by igor » Sat May 01, 2010 4:21 pm

Klaas wrote:
How can you be forced to switch plans? I was an NF naked plan, and requested a change to a Z plan, which took effect this morning.
Easily – "we will charge you extra $5 if you do not switch..."

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Sat May 01, 2010 4:51 pm

igor wrote:
Klaas wrote:
Easily – "we will charge you extra $5 if you do not switch..."
Nope - you are not forced to change plans.

You are given a choice:
1- stay on your current plan, at an increased price
2 - change to another plan

and if you are particular peeved

3 - change to another provider

You are not forced to do any one of these options.

igor

Post by igor » Sun May 02, 2010 9:42 am

This is ridiculous! Uploads are faster than downloads!

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun May 02, 2010 10:47 am

igor wrote:This is ridiculous! Uploads are faster than downloads!
Stop doing speed tests to international sites. They are absolutely useless for diagnostics and they prove nothing. Use a Sydney and/or local state capital test, and also post your modem sync stats
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

igor

Post by igor » Sun May 02, 2010 5:43 pm

Sydney and other Australian servers are useless because I access US websites mainly. What's the point of having 20 Mb/s to a Sydney server if there is nothing to look at or download from Australian sites?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun May 02, 2010 6:23 pm

When connecting from Queensland to American sites there is the not-insignificant problem of crossing both the Pacific Ocean and also the USA. Many organisations are involved, and none of these links are controllable by anyone here. The exact routes used are variable and uncontrollable here. All you are measuring is some far distant router or server, not your connection speed.

I agree that it is important if your preferred sites are slow, but it is the price of living here.

Old Flame

Post by Old Flame » Sun May 02, 2010 6:41 pm

San Fran
http://www.speedtest.net/result/801175778.png

Sydney
http://www.speedtest.net/result/801177083.png

Maybe he should be getting better to San fran than what he is getting though... I am on a Z plan BTW igor so :dunno: if that's the reason.

bulletmark

Post by bulletmark » Sun May 02, 2010 7:13 pm

Dazzled wrote:I agree that it is important if your preferred sites are slow, but it is the price of living here.
Oh c'mon Daz. I had Internode adsl1 for 3 years then Iinet adsl2+ for 4 years and my internet speed has been fine. Had exetel adsl2+ (naked) for 3.5 months and my internet speed is woeful. Same house, equipment, phone jacks, copper line, and exchange. Only thing different is my ISP (on an Optus dslam).

Old Flame

Post by Old Flame » Sun May 02, 2010 7:25 pm

bulletmark wrote:Only thing different is my ISP (on an Optus dslam).
Maybe search for "Optus" users "ADSL2" "Your exchange" it may have nothing to do with Exetel. I know in my case it had nothing to do with Exetel and all to do with Optus' backhaul problems till it was corrected by Optus, after they were dragged screaming by their own users and their Optus Wholesale customers.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun May 02, 2010 7:33 pm

Bulletmark, maybe I've been having a sheltered life. I'm in the 5 year club and have been on an Optus ADSL2 service for most of it. I have never had an extended prolonged slowdown, except during major outages (or perhaps they were when I was sleeping). My local exchange in Sydney has a decent-sized non-residential demographic, and the teens and twenties age group is under-represented, so that may partially explain it. I have noticed that slow/congestion threads for Optus services often have an area in common, eg backhaul congestion ex Newcastle. Perhaps Optus lets whole areas "prove" they require capital expenditure.

bulletmark

Post by bulletmark » Sun May 02, 2010 10:31 pm

Old Flame wrote: Maybe search for "Optus" users "ADSL2" "Your exchange" it may have nothing to do with Exetel. I know in my case it had nothing to do with Exetel and all to do with Optus' backhaul problems till it was corrected by Optus, after they were dragged screaming by their own users and their Optus Wholesale customers.
This is a common argument advanced by forum representatives and friends here. The claim is that these problems are due to Exetel's wholesale suppliers and thus not Exetel's fault. I'm sorry but we pay our money to Exetel, so it is their responsibility to provide an adequate service. Coles don't blame the wheat grower and absolve all responsibility when we buy a bad loaf of bread from them. It's just a ridiculous argument.

Speed is not always bad. Off-peak (i.e. until 12 midday most days!), weekends, public + school holidays, and end of month are more often bad, but we do get some reasonable speeds some other times. Clearly there are many customers who don't see these problems - but read this and other site forums and you find there are plenty of customers who are suffering. I suspect Exetel is under-provisioned for the number, and most particularly for the heavy downloading type, of customers they support. Exetel would have extensive performance monitoring way beyond those dinky graphs we get on the member pages so I would be very surprised if they were not well aware of these issues.

I'm only a light user who only wants consistent internet but it seems I am not an appropriate Exetel customer. They want heaps of heavy users who are happy to pay less and don't care if their backgrounded bittorrent clients stutter and slow down all day - their files will still get delivered eventually. Linton's blog says that "these are the type of customers nobody wants" but his actions don't match his words. He has gone all out to offer cheap unlimitered plans to attract and keep exactly such customers! I am with the wrong ISP.