4%
No
96%

Total votes: 27

charithjperera

Suggestion

Post by charithjperera » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:25 pm

PLEASE DELETE THIS POST!!
Last edited by charithjperera on Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pulsatex

Post by pulsatex » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:37 pm

1. Minimum download speed of 10KB/s? - How bout when you download something of a bad source or a 56ker and u get below 10KB/s

2. People such as myself with 1500 / 256 plan would not appreciate the reduced speed, since we are paying for the full possible speed.

3. I'm sure exetel has always provided a pretty big bandwidth window necessary not to congest traffic too much.

4. If your suggestion is directed at the 12-8am times, I only have one thing to say: Go to sleep like normal people do :wink: =P

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:49 pm

Yes i seriously do not understand how people manage to game at any decent skill level between 12am-8am.

Anonymous

Re: Suggestion

Post by Anonymous » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:47 pm

charithjperera wrote:I think you should make it minimum download speed of 10Kb/s and reduce the other peoples speed a bit, this will allow games to be played without a prob.

please consider. 8)
stop kidding mate.... :lol:

Smoke

Re: Suggestion

Post by Smoke » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:46 pm

charithjperera wrote:I think you should make it minimum download speed of 10Kb/s and reduce the other peoples speed a bit, this will allow games to be played without a prob.

please consider. 8)
Taken out the back....and shot

charithjperera

read it properly

Post by charithjperera » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:26 pm

it says minimum how about minimum of
10Kb/s for 256K
20Kb/s for 512K
60Kb/s for 1.5M

it says minimum not maximum so you always have something insteas of a crappy speed like 8KB/s

paddles

Post by paddles » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:37 pm

The voting results probably speak for themselves.

Charithjperera,

For Exetel to provide a guaranteed minimum bandwidth for every single customer at all times of even 10 kB/s would require purchasing roughly (emphasis roughly) five times as much bandwidth to the Internet as it currently has (and ditto for incoming bandwidth from Telstra) - which would obviously dramatically increase its costs - which means dramatically increasing its charges. For your sliding scale of guarantee, the bandwidth requirements are even higher - double it again at a guess.

Would you want your monthly charges going up that much? I know I wouldn't. Most of the time the vast majority of that bandwidth would be sitting idle - but to be able to make that sort of guarantee, Exetel ould have to have it there just in case. I'd also bet that Exetel couldn't do it without making the midnight to 8am period fully chargeable too.

I'll be the first to admit that network load balancing is not my technical strength, but I'd assume that setting up that up would take a bit of work too... more costs in time, equipment and support.

If you really want it, ask Exetel or another ISP to quote you a price on it. Then I think you'll change your mind and decide you're happy with what you've got. And if you decide you like the quote and want to spend the $$$, well that's fine. But any ISP who forced that choice on its entire customer base would go out of business within three months.

Personally, I think the problem with congestion between midnight to 8am is because of people trying to download huge wads (gigabyte order of magnitude) of data each night, not inadequacies in Exetel's network infrastructure.

Regards

Tim