Emergency Dial Up Back Up

Old, inactive threads
ForumAdmin

Emergency Dial Up Back Up

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:10 pm

This was recommended by an Exetel user in another thread.
http://www.hypermax.com.au/
I just joined up and it works fine; as a back up for $1.00.

IanS

Post by IanS » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:47 pm

Another cheap dialup with no download or time limits can be found at

http://netbay.com.au/forhome/index.php?sw=0

Yearly - $7.49 per month, paid yearly in advance. Total yearly cost, $89.90
Quarterly - $9.97 per month, paid quarterly in advance. Total quarterly cost, $29.90

Ian
Last edited by IanS on Sat May 24, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:21 am

If you don't have a credit card, I can provide you with access at $1.10 per hour, invoiced or EFT'd. Hours purchased never expire.

http://www.auzzie.net/

<end shameless plug ;-) >

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:13 pm

The free 10 minute session limited account I was offering last week is still running. Username exeuser, password exepass, number 0198333312

It hangs up every 10 minutes since I'm providing it for free. I'm giving this free access because I am an exetel agent, and have been happy with their service.

lkml2000

Post by lkml2000 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:30 pm

MCCMikey wrote:The free 10 minute session limited account I was offering last week is still running. Username exeuser, password exepass, number 0198333312

It hangs up every 10 minutes since I'm providing it for free. I'm giving this free access because I am an exetel agent, and have been happy with their service.
is this a local call?

Thanks

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:38 pm

lkml2000 wrote:
MCCMikey wrote:The free 10 minute session limited account I was offering last week is still running. Username exeuser, password exepass, number 0198333312

is this a local call?

Thanks
0198 Numbers are local calls from anywhere in Australia.

Regards,

CLoSeR

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:42 pm

Yes, it's a local call from almost any landline in Aus. Check with your telco if not sure.

daffy42

Post by daffy42 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:30 pm

I use www.alpher.net.au..... they give me a 20 hour block to use in 12 months for only $20... the advantage of this is I can use it anywhere in Oz for the price of a local call...and if I use the block up I just buy another block.. no hassle.. I think the number is 0266760951

DBligh

Post by DBligh » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:14 pm

Here is my rub in.

I have a backup Optus Cable internet connection. If exetel ever drops out (only had to use it once or twice in this situation) I just enable my spare network card, and I have the cable connection networked to my computer (This is the family's connection, but what they dont know can't hurt them, right?).

Life is good, occasionally..
I understand that everything I just said has very little to do with this thread.

-Dan.

Midnight Rider

Post by Midnight Rider » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:03 pm

Actually, I've been giving this some thought since I saw your kind offer the other week. Would it be possible to turn this temporary arrangement into a permanent one???

I can see where there might be a couple of problems to iron out, but using 15,000 Exetel users as a baseline figure, and let's say 5 cents a month to pay for it, that works out to around $750 per month.

Would $750 per month be sufficient to pay for this service????

I certainly wouldn't mind paying an extra 5 cents a month for the convenience of having a backup dialup account, even if it was limited to 10 minute session times. That's time enough to check the Exetel website for news of a problem, and a quick check of my emails, or to send an urgent email.

And even if it was so congested that I couldn't log on, that would tell me that lots of other folks were probably also having problems, which would be an answer in itself.

If the $750 p/m was enough to pay for more than 10 lines(is this correct?), or perhaps slightly longer session times, then that would even make it feasable to use for limited access by notebook while travelling.

I can see lots of positives and very few negatives. Of course there would need to be some system in place to prevent non-Exetel customers from using it, and some method for Exetel to pass on payment to "MCCMikey", but surely these are minor problems which can be overcome.

Then again, maybe Exetel management might like to subsidise such a (low cost) service as part of providing we users with an improvement to our already excellent value ADSL connection.

Also might help us to kick aaNet's arse. :twisted:
Last edited by Midnight Rider on Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:31 pm

I am happy to help out make this more permanent, or to help Exetel get their own ports independantly if wanted. Somehow I suspect they're kinda busy with other things right now!

I don't plan to axe the service in the immediate future. I'll only have to do that if it starts to affect my ISP business. I ended up with excess capacity when I last upgraded, so since it's not being used I was happy to offer it.

bri

Post by bri » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:36 pm

hey mccmikey

many many thanks for providing this free service
youre absolutely fantastic
bri

lkml2000

Post by lkml2000 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:39 pm

bri wrote:hey mccmikey

many many thanks for providing this free service
youre absolutely fantastic
bri
Here too.

Thanks mccmikey.

as some other people suggested, I hop this can be a permanent emergency connection for exetel.....

davo

Post by davo » Sat May 07, 2005 3:21 pm

What's the exact procedure to activate a dialup connection when also using ADSL?

Do you have to turn the ADSL modem off?
Are there any settings to be changed in Win XP Pro?

I've had it working before, but this morning I tried everything for 4 hours (!) and couldn't get the bloody thing to work.

As soon as the dialup connected and it says "Registering on the network", the machine would reboot!!!

I did manage to stop the rebooting by unchecking a box "Use default gateway on remote network" in Advanced TCP/IP settings of the dialup. But then I got an error 691 when it tried to connect.

A detailed step by step explanation of how to use a dialup in conjunction with an ADSL service would be wonderful!

(It's a Netcomm NB5580W modem)

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sat May 07, 2005 4:59 pm

Hi Dave

You don't need to turn off your ADSL modem when you use a dial-up modem. You do need to set up a separate Internet connection which uses your dial-up modem.

To create a dial-up connection in XP Pro, follow these steps:

Start
Network Connections
File
New Connection
Click Next
Select "Connect to the Internet" and click Next
Select "Setup my connection manually" and click Next
Select "Connect using a dial-up modem" and click Next
Type the ISP name (you can type whatever you want here) and click Next
Type the phone number to connect to the ISP
Type your user name and password
Untick the option "Make this the default Internet connection"
Click Next
If you want a shortcut to the connection on your desktop, tick the box
Click Finish

Double-click on the connection and click "Dial"

That's it :D

Post again if you get stuck.

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal