Emergency Dial Up Back Up

Old, inactive threads
davo

Post by davo » Sat May 07, 2005 8:02 pm

Thanks for typing all that out Gidget. :) That's what I'd been doing, but it just wouldn't work properly.

Anyway, I made another one connecting to MCCMikey's service (thanks MCCMikey - very generous) and it works perfectly.

As you say, no need to turn off the ADSL modem, the browser just selects the dialup connection.

So there must have been some corruption or something with my earlier dialup seup - the rebooting thing was pretty odd. I'll delete it and re-do it.

Thanks again, Dave

sleeves

Post by sleeves » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:06 pm

Is the free 10 minute access no longer in effect? I tried it last week when I was out of town and was informed that I was using an invalid username/password.

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:18 pm

Hi,

I decided to get a backup dialup account setup before my churn to Exetel took effect - just in case.

After a lot of searching, I found www.acenet.net.au

They offer two blocks of hours you can purchase, and you have two years before they expire:

25 hours - $33

50 hours - $55

Seems good value for money to me :)

Graham

felix

Post by felix » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:04 pm

I keep a back-up dial in account as my Mum can't get broadband (except sat) of any kind so she uses it just for email and very lite surfing. My cousin was using it for a while too. I use it if I'm on the road. It's with NetSpeed.

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:01 pm

Hi there :)

The plan I had it put on had a limit of $500 usage. It hit that limit some time ago because someone has been using it almost permanently for a week or three. I'll turn it back on, but will be watching for abuse :)

maxknott

Post by maxknott » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:16 pm

MCCMikey wrote:Hi there :)

The plan I had it put on had a limit of $500 usage. It hit that limit some time ago because someone has been using it almost permanently for a week or three. I'll turn it back on, but will be watching for abuse :)
thanks mccmikey, really good of you to do this, i have been thinking about getting a backup dial account, now i don't have to worry thanks to you :D

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:04 am

Thank you for your continuing generosity.

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:24 am

Hehe :) No worries :)

Well, as long as both aaNet and Exetel don't go down at the same time, it should work. (I have a spare ADSL connection 700km away for a backup RADIUS server - it's on aaNet to provide redundancy.)

Happy to be donating some of the agent income back to a good cause.

moad

Post by moad » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:23 pm

Thanks Mccmikey. Ive been using this today and will use to check emails etc untill my activation date (friday). Is there someway i can make a small donation to you to help out with costs etc.

You are a lifesaver my man!

petemoss

Re: Emergency Dial Up Back Up

Post by petemoss » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:43 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:This was recommended by an Exetel user in another thread.
http://www.hypermax.com.au/
I just joined up and it works fine; as a back up for $1.00.
Just checked this one out ............
From Friday 16th June 2006 Hypermax will no longer provide your internet access and email services

bri

Post by bri » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:42 pm

hey mccmikey

thanks once again for your generosity.
it has once again allowed me to find out whats going on

cheers
bri

Shady

Post by Shady » Tue May 29, 2007 10:06 am

At home I usually use a prepaid dial-up service if needed. It's quick, cheap and easy to pay for. No credit cards or any other complex payments needed. I recommend the following:

-http://www.planetprepaid.com.au
-http://www.hello.net.au

You can find the kits at you local tobacconist and/or milk bars.[/url]

shapingsucks

Post by shapingsucks » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:59 pm

MCCMikey

Thanks again for the dialup, was able to fix a billing issue in 5 minutes

neb

Post by neb » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:40 am

You need to incorporate CLI, do a "lockout period" based not only on a full 10 minute session, but part there-of (to prevent the clowns that hang up at 9 minutes thinking they can call back for a full 10 more right away), lock em out for an hour or three
If your setup is one that has no access to CLI, then do CNI, so if they hide there number, then they dont get access at all :)

If you offer something, someone somewhere, will always be sure to abuse it.

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:28 pm

MCCMikey your website seems to be down ??

edit: The site is back up again now.