Emergency Dial Up Back Up

Old, inactive threads
Bumblegrum

Re: Emergency Dial Up Back Up

Post by Bumblegrum » Tue May 20, 2008 6:25 pm

Is the Exetel service such that a dialup backup is needed? From what I have read this is not the case but informed expert opinion is always appreciated.

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Tue May 20, 2008 7:49 pm

Bumblegrum wrote:Is the Exetel service such that a dialup backup is needed? From what I have read this is not the case but informed expert opinion is always appreciated.
The need for an emergency dialup connection is not a reflection of the Exetel service, simply a need "in an emergency". :wink:

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:45 am

Bumblegrum wrote:Is the Exetel service such that a dialup backup is needed? From what I have read this is not the case but informed expert opinion is always appreciated.
Not in my opinion, outages are very rare. When they occur, they are usually resolved in a very short time.
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

Cocka

Re:

Post by Cocka » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:59 am

MCCMikey wrote:If you don't have a credit card, I can provide you with access at $1.10 per hour, invoiced or EFT'd. Hours purchased never expire.

http://www.auzzie.net/

<end shameless plug ;-) >
I can recommend this guy, good option if you require it for some reason. 8)
I once thought I made a mistake but I was wrong ?

Cocka

Post by Cocka » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:08 am

CLoSeR wrote:
Not in my opinion, outages are very rare. When they occur, they are usually resolved in a very short time.
Good in theory but doesn't always happen, also "Murphy's Law" usually comes into play, when it goes down is when you need to do some banking and/or send receive emails etc., also it's a good way to chase up re your problem with the ISP, it's handy to have a fall back of some kind, I agree it doesn't necessarily have to be via Exetel.
I once thought I made a mistake but I was wrong ?

caroline69

Post by caroline69 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:42 pm

I thought exetel provided a back up dial up account? Maybe im getting mixed up with another provider..

Most seem to have a back up provided. Why dont exetel?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:49 pm

caroline69 wrote:I thought exetel provided a back up dial up account? Maybe im getting mixed up with another provider..

Most seem to have a back up provided. Why dont exetel?
I don't think they have ever been a dialup provider which means they would have to add hardware to offer an outdated technology, if you are serious about having a backup option then this would be a more suitable alternative http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-hspa-pricing.php and quite cost effective

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:53 pm

... because Exetel never provided dial-up services and so they don't have the infrastructure to do so. If you feel the need for a dial-up back-up then simply purchase one for casual use from one of the many products available online or at convenience stores etc. Try to get one with minimal hours which either don't expire or are otherwise valid for as long as possible.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

dunnowhathuh

Post by dunnowhathuh » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:59 pm

Greatly appreciate that backup 10 minute account MCCMikey though seeing as my woes are taking a lot longer that 10 minutes to sort out, I think I'm going to have to apply for that 1 dollar an hour dial-up of yours hehe.

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:00 pm

hypermax committed sepukku
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1520MHz RAM | MSI Gamer 1080Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem