Please use this thread to advise of broken links etc

Old, inactive threads
ymo

Post by ymo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:05 pm

I see what Dazzled means. I just fired up Ubuntu 7.10 in VMware player and visted www.exetel.com.au using Firefox 2.0.0.11. As I do not have flash installed (the last time I tried to install flash on Ubuntu 7.10 I tried both Adobe Flash Player and Gnash SWF Player plugins and neither worked for me (for viewing other flash web sites)) all I see is Exetel Pty Ltd - Login at the top of the window and two text boxes and a Login button at the bottom.

It really needs a fallback page for non-flash equipped systems (if that is possible).

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:06 pm

Thanks for a quick reply.

I am using a range of Linuxes (2 versions of Ubuntu and Slackware) and browsers. Adobe no longer provides a plugin suitable for all Linux browsers.

It does not work at all in the current Opera (a well-known Adobe-caused problem which will be resolved in Opera v9.5). It fails to display correctly in Firefox (but Youtube, for example, is working). I will check out Konquerer, Seamonkey and some others later but I doubt that any change will result.

I have also tried using the open source player Gnash in both the above browsers, which also fails to produces visible text.

The page has coding errors, and does not even display the coded suggestion to install the Flash player.

In any case, so much advertising rubbish is now spread by Flash that many people have it off by default. The proverbial grandma may well have no idea how to install it, even on on Windows. The result is that Exetel's site, for many, many people is now invisible, and the inside pages utterly inaccessible, and that is a shame. There is nothing on that home page that cannot be done in correct html and a well-written cascading style sheet.

Anthony Michaud

Post by Anthony Michaud » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:25 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:I see no problem in FF.

If there are IE problems they aren't showing on the test machines.

Please state the browser/version you're having difficulties with.
The one issue that I have with it, is that the page hasn't been written to avoid the "click to activate" problem. This can be resolved by using javascript - is this something that could be modified?

Anthony.
Linux/*SD: How do you want to work quickly, reliably, cheaply and .... oooh look - something shiney over there. We'll be back to finish this later ...

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:28 pm

Anthony Michaud wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:I see no problem in FF.

If there are IE problems they aren't showing on the test machines.

Please state the browser/version you're having difficulties with.
The one issue that I have with it, is that the page hasn't been written to avoid the "click to activate" problem. This can be resolved by using javascript - is this something that could be modified?

Anthony.
Perhaps.

As you would know we constantly modify the web site and have done so for four years.

We'll probably add click for non flash rather than a click for flash.
Last edited by ForumAdmin on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony Michaud

Post by Anthony Michaud » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:38 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Perhaps.

As you would know we constantly modify the wen site and have done so for four years.

Sorry - not what I was getting at. When the pages loads, you have to click the flash control to "activate" it - so that you can click links or type your username/password. Using javascript, you can avoid this from happening.

References:
http://www.mix-fx.com/flash-prompt.htm
http://www.amarasoftware.com/flash-problem.htm

Anthony.
Linux/*SD: How do you want to work quickly, reliably, cheaply and .... oooh look - something shiney over there. We'll be back to finish this later ...

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:43 pm

ForumAdmin, I just did a quick and dirty poll of some of my wife's friends - half of them did not have a flash player installed. And even if one is installed, this site now has very serious Linux problems. I get the impression that the intention is only to "pulsate" the white squares. Exetel's site is too important for this sort of trouble.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:00 pm

Anthony Michaud wrote:

As you would know we constantly modify the wen site and have done so for four years.

Sorry - not what I was getting at. When the pages loads, you have to click the flash control to "activate" it - so that you can click links or type your username/password. Using javascript, you can avoid this from happening.

References:

Anthony.
It doesn't work that way for me.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:01 pm

Dazzled wrote:ForumAdmin, I just did a quick and dirty poll of some of my wife's friends - half of them did not have a flash player installed. And even if one is installed, this site now has very serious Linux problems. I get the impression that the intention is only to "pulsate" the white squares. Exetel's site is too important for this sort of trouble.
No - the intention isn't anything but aesthetics.

I've asked the sysadmin responsible to respond to the suggestions/comments.
Last edited by ForumAdmin on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony Michaud

Post by Anthony Michaud » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:49 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
Anthony Michaud wrote:

References:

Anthony.
It doesn't work that way for me.
Open the site with internet explorer 6/7 and it should do it.

Anthony Michaud

Post by Anthony Michaud » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:11 pm

I've posted an example of what I'm seeing here:

Anthony.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:22 pm

Anthony, that beats a blank white screen with no links. What OS are you using?

Anthony Michaud

Post by Anthony Michaud » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:46 pm

Dazzled wrote:Anthony, that beats a blank white screen with no links. What OS are you using?
WXP SP2, fully patched. IE7 7.0.5730.13.

vfcrescini

Post by vfcrescini » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:23 am

Using Seamonkey 1.1.7 (and Firefox 2.0.0.11) with Adobe Flashplayer 9.0 r 115 on Linux, the clouds are moving and pretty, but the input boxes are missing

Shady

Post by Shady » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:09 am

I am aware of this issue and have tried numerous fixes. Unfortunately they do not work for some reason. I will continue looking into this today.

ymo

Post by ymo » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:05 am

For those people having problems logging into the account management area via the Exetel home page, you can go straight to https://www.exetel.com.au/members/home.php and login there. I have this bookmarked and never use the home page login.