Please use this thread to advise of broken links etc

Old, inactive threads
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:31 am

For those who haven't noticed, there is a temporary fix in, a small visible link to the old page (on the bottom), so that the Linux and non-Flash customers can use both the sales and member's functions. But, gee, what a horrible face to a great ISP. I hope a redesign is in hand.

BTW, because the html code is there, even if no text shows, Opera's automatic login function still works in both home page versions.

Shady

Post by Shady » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:06 am

Dazzled, there is nothing wrong with the little link being at the bottom. a lot of other sites have a similar feature for a work around.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:44 am

Shady, I like Exetel; I recommend you to people; I am trying to be helpful. Others are having trouble too (see Dr Snapid this morning). Good sites reserve commercial plugins for banners, decorative sidebars and other non-essentials. Goodness knows what my W95 & W98 boxes make of it, I haven't tried, but there are plenty of them around.

None of my live CD maintence toolkits (DOS or Linux) work.

Anthony Michaud

Post by Anthony Michaud » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:50 am

Dazzled wrote:Shady, I like Exetel; I recommend you to people; I am trying to be helpful. Others are having trouble too (see Dr Snapid this morning). Good sites reserve commercial plugins for banners, decorative sidebars and other non-essentials. Goodness knows what my W95 & W98 boxes make of it, I haven't tried, but there are plenty of them around.

None of my live CD maintence toolkits (DOS or Linux) work.
Hi Dazzled,

I think that W9x support as well as maintenance toolkits should be on the list of "unsupported". With the links to the non-flash site, I believe that this should be sufficient for today's computer, with or without flash.

This is only the homepage and links have been provided to access the user facilities without going to the home page. My 'bit' on this was simply to have the 'click to activate' removed.

10 year old operating systems (or those that behave like them) probably shouldn't be operational - Microsoft themselves don't support 9x any more, why should external companies?

Probably not what you're wanting to hear, but I'm siding with Exetel on this issue.

Anthony.

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:01 pm

I think that I might join in on the old OS issue.

I'm aware that there are still people out there that, for various reasons, still run older OS's. There are quite possibly valid reasons for that.

However we must bear in mind that, particularly given the rate of change in the IT world, there comes a point where it's simply not worth your time supporting equipment or softwre that old anymore. I'd say that at least most people running Windows nowadays would have upgraded to XP, only a small percentage would still be running 9x or 2k. The time will come (or possibly already come) that the effort required to support these older OS's will not be justified by the small number of people still using them.

Or do you really want to provide continued support for Windows 3.1 and Trumpet Winsock?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:23 pm

People, please don't move the topic to ancient OSs, although there are plenty still in use.

The flash player needed is a commercial product, whose maker chooses not to support all modern systems. It is not available for some of the most advanced systems. It is not installed by default in home computers, and it is not installed on many commercial networks. It should not therefore be used for critical parts of an ISP's page. I personally am well qualified to find a workaround, or even reverse engineeer the old page, however inconvenient, but a large proportion of the customer base isn't. There is no shortage of people who simply couldn't install Flash on Windows unaided.

Shady

Post by Shady » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:24 pm

Anthony is right, we cannot be responsible for the people who are using systems that are 10yrs old. Especially when Microsoft themselves have ditched the support for them systems.

There is a link below the flash that'll redirect them to a supported page. I think thats more than enough to make any customer satisfied.

Please keep in mind that improvements will be made over time.

Anthony Michaud

Post by Anthony Michaud » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:28 pm

But it *is* about ancient OS'es. Vista, XP, OSX, even Windows 2000 will be able to view the current website, in either Flash or non-Flash format.

Those people that can't install flash - I question their ability to even use a computer. On a default installation, with no flash installed, you should be prompted to install it (although via an active-x control I think, if going to the adobe site).

If they've installed software or configured software to block activex, then they should know how to unblock to install.

People shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get stuff to work, but they should also know how to use the tools that they choose to work with.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:37 pm

As this is a thread for reporting broken links can we please stop 'debating' other issues here.

Use the Web site thread for suggestions or open a different thread to debate particular issues.

I will delete further posts that are not directly related to fixing broken links.