Please use this thread to advise of broken links etc

Old, inactive threads
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:40 pm

It's still doing it for me, Linux system, in each of Opera, Firefox and Seamonkey.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:22 pm

ForumAdmin, Since you are OK in IE, I guess we might have one of those annoying cases where IE doesn't follow standards, but just in case the trouble is me, I've just booted up two more Linux systems, to test the problem, which was originally noticed on an Ubuntu setup:

1 Elderly Slackware box - site works on previous version of Firefox;

2 New Slackware machine - the fault occurs in each of Opera, Firefox and Konquerer - all of them current versions.

I've also tried a few of flash memory based mini-distros. Only DSL using Firefox gets the wanted result.

I could try an HPUX workstation, but the old Netscape lurking there is probably not a fair test.

It needs fixing, because the drop-down menu is non-functional. Note: Many of the site pages do not validate, so I can't quickly check the coding.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:46 pm

Dazzled wrote:ForumAdmin, Since you are OK in IE, I guess we might have one of those annoying cases where IE doesn't follow standards, but just in case the trouble is me, I've just booted up two more Linux systems, to test the problem, which was originally noticed on an Ubuntu setup:

1 Elderly Slackware box - site works on previous version of Firefox;

2 New Slackware machine - the fault occurs in each of Opera, Firefox and Konquerer - all of them current versions.

I've also tried a few of flash memory based mini-distros. Only DSL using Firefox gets the wanted result.

I could try an HPUX workstation, but the old Netscape lurking there is probably not a fair test.

It needs fixing, because the drop-down menu is non-functional. Note: Many of the site pages do not validate, so I can't quickly check the coding.
I'll ask the programmer to have a look.

Have you tried shift/refresh?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:29 pm

I've just been through all those tests again; refreshing makes no difference.

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:42 am

Dazzled wrote:I've just been through all those tests again; refreshing makes no difference.
Thats odd, because it works fine with Firefox on Windows here. You would think it would be the same in Firefox regardless of whether the platform is Linux or Windows.

Have you got Firefox running on a Windows box to test with?
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:51 am

CLoSeR, I had a peek at this again this morning - naturally it still fails with all those Unix flavours.

Unfortunately (really????), although I have several computers, none has any MS-like product on board, other than an old plotter controller running CPM (wot's a web browser?) on two Z80 processors, and a W95 Pentium 2 with all network capabilities deliberately disabled (another hardware controller), so I can't look at this with a Windows browser.

By way of experiment I interposed a local style sheet on the page, which fixed the problem, at the expense of an alteration in layout. I changed the way in which the embedded advert was placed.

I would have expected all Firefox results to be the same on all those Linuxes, despite differing version numbers, so I suppose I should not be surprised that you got another result on Windows. Opera is quite consistent, and this browser is the benchmark I would prefer to use on any site.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:12 pm

Dazzled wrote:CLoSeR, I had a peek at this again this morning - naturally it still fails with all those Unix flavours.

Unfortunately (really????), although I have several computers, none has any MS-like product on board, other than an old plotter controller running CPM (wot's a web browser?) on two Z80 processors, and a W95 Pentium 2 with all network capabilities deliberately disabled (another hardware controller), so I can't look at this with a Windows browser.

By way of experiment I interposed a local style sheet on the page, which fixed the problem, at the expense of an alteration in layout. I changed the way in which the embedded advert was placed.

I would have expected all Firefox results to be the same on all those Linuxes, despite differing version numbers, so I suppose I should not be surprised that you got another result on Windows. Opera is quite consistent, and this browser is the benchmark I would prefer to use on any site.
It will be looked into.
Last edited by ForumAdmin on Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:00 pm

Thanks for looking into this. I notice that a closely related problem is also mentioned in the Sales Improvement section of the forum.

I have probably said enough already, but may I note the charset where an error seems to have snuck in. If the charset were correctly encoded, it would be possible to validate the html source and track down a lot of niggles. Please see the markup checking service at http://validator.w3.org/

BTW, despite beginning to sound like a whinger, I actually like the new site. It's a big job for your coder to get just right, and it still has a few lessons for the other ISPs.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:40 am

Dazzled wrote:Thanks for looking into this. I notice that a closely related problem is also mentioned in the Sales Improvement section of the forum.

I have probably said enough already, but may I note the charset where an error seems to have snuck in. If the charset were correctly encoded, it would be possible to validate the html source and track down a lot of niggles. Please see the markup checking service at http://validator.w3.org/

BTW, despite beginning to sound like a whinger, I actually like the new site. It's a big job for your coder to get just right, and it still has a few lessons for the other ISPs.
Thank you for the advise; I've forwarded it to the developer.

Shady

Post by Shady » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:13 am

Hi Dazzled,

I can't seem to find what may be the problem. I have tested the site on a couple of different Linux machines and they all seem to work fine, except for the flash that is overlapping the menu. Unfortunately there is no solution to this as the browsers lack support for some strange reason. :?

As for the encoding, It should now be fixed.

Shady

Post by Shady » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:18 am

Something I forgot to mention. To prove that the browsers lack support for the overlapping flash issue, you can check the Adobe site (http://www.adobe.com). You will find the issue lies within their frontpage.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:29 am

Thanks Shady

I can't find an account of the overlapping Flash problem on the Adobe page. Could you help me out with a link please?

I agree that apart from the overlap problem a range of Linux browsers appear to be happy. But.......

Re validation: the site still produces an astonishing number of coding errors, cascading down from a few simple syntax glitches. The site at present is relying on the default (IE-influenced) behaviour of browsers when they meet errors in syntax. Is this a problem caused by non-conforming MS-based layout and coding software?

Re the Flash obscuring the menu: If you move the embedment position further down the column, all is well ( I have taken your code, and tried it with a bit of Flash and a style sheet).

IanS

Webmail outage notice

Post by IanS » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:29 pm

Webmail login screen, still has outage notice from 17-10-07
Please note that as per earlier announcement, webmail will undergo a period of downtime Wednesday, 17/10/2007 from 7:30am through to 8:30am.
Ian

ForumAdmin

Re: Webmail outage notice

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:55 pm

IanS wrote:Webmail login screen, still has outage notice from 17-10-07
Please note that as per earlier announcement, webmail will undergo a period of downtime Wednesday, 17/10/2007 from 7:30am through to 8:30am.
Ian
I'll get it fixed.

JamesR

Post by JamesR » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:31 pm

Just looking through the contact section of the site and see that on http://www.exetel.com.au/a_sales_hosting.php there seems to be a small typo error in the email.

Current: resdientialsales@exetel.com.au

New: residentialsales@exetel.com.au

Cheers.
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005